Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Allegheny County)

Default Commie Caliber AR15 Pistol Build

This will be my official picture thread.
    (this build actually started here, where I got some good input and tips)

I like my 7.62x39 AR15 carbine so much I decided I'd build a pistol in the same caliber!

After nailing down a barrel length I wanted to use, the fun began!

I chose to use an Aero Precision stripped upper with dust cover and no forward assist.
    A great forum member hooked me up with a 7" barrel with an M4 profile which is what I wanted vs the more commonly found "heavy" profile barrel. (heavy barrels are... heavy)

I didn't want a KAK flash can - everyone and their mother has them - I wanted something different.
    I found the "flash forwarder" seen below while searching for parts online and decided to give it a try.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Commie Caliber AR15 Pistol Build

This post reserved - possible parts list/finished product pic

Parts List:

$55.00
    (new) - Upper - Aero Precision - no forward assist - Right to Bear
    $60.00 (new) - Lower - Palmetto State Armory "LIBERTY" stripped, virgin lower
    FREE*** (new) - Barrel - Radical Firearms 7" (***generously donated by a forum member)
    $34.00 (new) - Muzzle Device - Rousch Sports - "Arkum Knight" Concussion Diversion Device Flash Can, Krinkov style - Rousch Sports
    $9.00 (new) - Gas tube - Rousch Sports - Stainless/pistol length - Rousch Sports
    $22.00 (new) - Gas Block - Rousch Sports - low profile micro - Melonite coated/black nitride - Rousch Sports
    $85.00 (new) - BCG - Toolcraft 7.62x39 Full Auto BCG - Black Nitride w/ Enhanced Firing Pin - Arm or Ally
    $21.00 (new) - Charging handle - Spikes Tactical - Standard - Skid Tactical
    $10.00 (new) - 7.62x39 Engraved Dust Cover - Outdoor Sports USA - double sided - Outdoor Sports USA
    $0.00 (new) - Trigger - Anderson Stainless Steel (leftover from another build) To be upgraded later to a LaRue Tactical MBT-2S
    $5.00 (new) - Hammer Spring - Wolff XP (extra power) - Wolff Gunsprings
    $75.00 (new) - Hand Guard - Aero Precision 7" ATLAS S-One M-LOK (blem sale) - Aero Precision
    $75.00 (new) - Arm Brace - SB Tactical SBA3 (brace only - no tube) - B Kings Firearms
    $20.00 (new) - Buffer tube kit - Right to Bear Buffer Tube 7075-T6, 6-position + spring/buffer/castle nut/end plate - Right to Bear
    $20.00 (used) - Grip - Magpul MOE K-2 (reduced angle) - AIM Surplus
    $15.00 (used) - Trigger Guard - Rainier Arms aluminum Modified Trigger Guard - Forum Classifieds
    $10.00 (used) - Bolt Catch - Patriot Ordnance Factory enhanced bolt catch - Forum Classifieds
    $17.00 (new) - Extended Mag Release - Odin Works (first version) - Swap from another gun
    $21.00 (new) - LPK - Aero Precision (minus fire control group/grip) - Arm or Ally
    $11.00 (new) - Sights - Front/Rear Chinese flip up BUIS - Outdoor Sports USA

$548.00 total

I just did some calculating using known pricing for budget parts in place of the ones I used.
    I could have saved $215 by using "cheap stuff", making the total right about $335.

This is why "building" is not always cheaper than buying one already made - IF you are willing to "settle" for whatever you get with a ready made gun.
    I prefer building - I can pick and choose exactly what parts/brands I use, and I can direct more spending to specific parts that I feel benefit the finished product.

All in all, I think I'm going to have a hot little pistol at a pretty reasonable price.
    Last edited by Emptymag; September 28th, 2019 at 01:38 PM. Reason: working on parts list

(Lehigh County)

Flame thrower

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GOYABEAN View Post
    Flame thrower
    Mine's defective. I don't like fireballs, and had every intention of getting a PWS CQB comp for this like I have on my 5.56 pistol, because it eliminates flames/flashes with short barrels, but I didn't want to pay $100 for one, so I settled for a flash can.

Surprisingly (I've test fired this upper using my other pistol lower), I didn't get any fireballs.

(Allegheny County)

I started working on a parts list and I was going through my emails to see exactly what I paid for some things when I realized I had already received an Aero Precision LPK! I was just about to place an order for a CMMG parts kit tonight because I thought it was the last thing I needed.
    Apparently there's an LPK laying around here that never made it into the "box of gun crap".

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I started working on a parts list and I was going through my emails to see exactly what I paid for some things when I realized I had already received an Aero Precision LPK! I was just about to place an order for a CMMG parts kit tonight because I thought it was the last thing I needed.
    Apparently there's an LPK laying around here that never made it into the "box of gun crap".
    Score!

(Allegheny County)

I replaced the dust cover with an engraved "7.62x39" door - labeled on both sides.

I looked all over for the best deal and this place offered the best overall value because their dust covers include the pin, spring and clip.
    (price went up - I paid $9.99 shipped)

(Westmoreland County)

Making all kinds of progress on my little EM tribute Commie Caliber AR Pistol. Lower is complete. Just need to snug up and stake the end plate. Upper is mostly complete as well. There are just some touches of black that break up the monochromatic FDE scheme. Left the ejection port cover black, the krink blast deflector is black, and with the brace strap black as well, there are just enough black accents that I think it looks awesome. I picked up a 10 round mag and will be ordering a couple of 28 rounders as well.

I went with a CMC single stage 3 5 lb drop in trigger with a straight face instead of the LaRue 2-stage, but this build has really gotten me kind of trigger happy to try a few others out too.

Tried to stay as faithful to EM's original build sheet/parts list, but had to change a few items due to availability and some deals on prices. I just wanted to build the same 7.62x39 that he had at the group shoot, but in the parts gathering frenzy ended up with 3 AeroPrecision lowers, 2 Aero uppers with no forward assist, 4(!!!) Handguards from 7 to 12 to 15 inch in black and FDE; a couple of lpk's that I ended up using pins and springs from, a couple of extra grips and FA's, etc. Have castle nuts and end plates and Magpul flip up sights, etc. Just really need another barrel and trigger and I could probably finish a second one, or get really close.

Pictures to follow this week once I can go/no go a cartridge and function test it. :-)

Need to dig out the sling my buddy gave me from his tour in Afghanistan for it, and find a FDE optic for it and we'll be all done.

BTW, my 10 round mag is ASC, but in the back of the bag it was printed that it was manufactured by C Products Defense.
    Last edited by VooDoo1VooDoo1; January 19th, 2020 at 01:19 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo1VooDoo1 View Post
    Making all kinds of progress on my little EM tribute Commie Caliber AR Pistol. Lower is complete. Just need to snug up and stake the end plate. Upper is mostly complete as well. There are just some touches of black that break up the monochromatic FDE scheme. Left the ejection port cover black, the krink blast deflector is black, and with the brace strap black as well, there are just enough black accents that I think it looks awesome. I picked up a 10 round mag and will be ordering a couple of 28 rounders as well.

I went with a CMC single stage 3 5 lb drop in trigger with a straight face instead of the LaRue 2-stage, but this build has really gotten me kind of trigger happy to try a few others out too.

Tried to stay as faithful to EM's original build sheet/parts list, but had to change a few items due to availability and some deals on prices. I just wanted to build the same 7.62x39 that he had at the group shoot, but in the parts gathering frenzy ended up with 3 AeroPrecision lowers, 2 Aero uppers with no forward assist, 4(!!!) Handguards from 7 to 12 to 15 inch in black and FDE; a couple of lpk's that I ended up using pins and springs from, a couple of extra grips and FA's, etc. Have castle nuts and end plates and Magpul flip up sights, etc. Just really need another barrel and trigger and I could probably finish a second one, or get really close.

Pictures to follow this week once I can go/no go a cartridge and function test it. :-)

Need to dig out the sling my buddy gave me from his tour in Afghanistan for it, and find a FDE optic for it and we'll be all done.

BTW, my 10 round mag is ASC, but in the back of the bag it was printed that it was manufactured by C Products Defense.

Can't wait to see it. Although I don't really like FDE, I'll bet it's going to look nice as described.
    Funny. I have a FDE red dot and I'm probably going to paint it because I don't like the color and it won't even remotely coordinate with the color I'm painting the gun.

I'm off to research that bit about the mags - unless C-Products bought them out, it does not compute.

(Allegheny County)

Pretty close to finished.
    Added a Frank Proctor sling in marpat brown.
    These are great slings that offer a quick slide adjustment and negate the need for buying expensive mounting attachments by using paracord to attach wherever you want. And the sling itself is not expensive. The current models use nicer webbing than my original.
    I think they are ideal for pistols because they function like larger, tactical 2 point slings, without the bulk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast