Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Commie Caliber AR15 Pistol Build

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    A few delicate flowers said that it was loud.
    I AM NOT!! A DELICATE FLOWER!!

(Allegheny County)

It was a very nice shooting rig..

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jkinpa1 View Post
    Yep, been thinking of an EM style Commie Cal Pistol myself. That and a carbine to go with. Now, if I could only find the funds. ��
    And the parts gathering has commenced.

Took advantage of this AR15Discounts.com post for the PUMPKINS 15% off LPK's:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=353202

Got the AeroPrecision LPK MOE SL grip kit in FDE. Yes, EM's creation is gonna have a FDE twin.

(Allegheny County)

Some people like 1 point slings for pistols (I don't), so if you're considering that, now's the time to get an end plate with loops or QD socket.

I did that with my other pistol, but never use it, so I just used a standard end plate on this one.

Another little part that is a nice upgrade is the extended bolt catch. Wish I knew about those years ago.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Some people like 1 point slings for pistols (I don't), so if you're considering that, now's the time to get an end plate with loops or QD socket.

I did that with my other pistol, but never use it, so I just used a standard end plate on this one.

Another little part that is a nice upgrade is the extended bolt catch. Wish I knew about those years ago.
    I have a single point sling I can try, but I'm not a huge fan of them either. And +1 on the extended catch. I have extended catches and releases on most of the guns i shoot a lot. They all seem to just take less leverage to operate, makes them seem faster and more sure when you activate them.

(Westmoreland County)

The Aero ATLAS has a provision for a QD socket, does it not? I was likely going to get a plate with a QD socket on that end too

I'm really kicking myself for not doing a quick and dirty video of the assembly of this build.
    It would really help to dispel the notion that it's hard to assemble an AR15 and/or you need "specialized tools" to do it.

I want people to understand that it's "just THAT easy" to assemble one all by yourself!

Tonight I grabbed the pistol, looked it over, and went over the process in my head, and gathered up all the tools I used to put it together.
    Everything is here - including the work bench!

Aside from mounting the vise on a plank and parking the SUV on it to hold it secure while I torqued the barrel nut on, the rest of it was put together either in my lap while browsing poofa, or on the kitchen counter!
    (not shown are the barrel nut "wrench/crows foot" and the hex key because they came with the hand guard)

4" vise (Harbor Freight)
    White duct tape - used to protect the surface of the upper while installing roll pins/etc.
    Long assed screwdriver for the grip screw
    (edit: I started the grip screw with the screwdriver, but snugged it up with a hex bit and ratchet - forgot to include ratchet in pic)
    Torque wrench (Harbor Freight)
    Robo Grip pliers - used for roll pin on bolt catch and roll pin on gas tube. We don't need no STEEENKING PUNCHES!!!
    3 sizes of hex keys
    TAPCO cheapo $10 spanner wrench for castle nut
    Blue thread locker (gas block set screws)
    Upper vise block

EDIT: The measuring cup was not used in the assembly of the pistol - it was used to make blueberry muffins.
    The gun turned out better than the muffins.
    Helpful post.

I have that exact same vise.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo1VooDoo1 View Post
    The Aero ATLAS has a provision for a QD socket, does it not? I was likely going to get a plate with a QD socket on that end too
    Yes, near the back of the hand guard.
    The SBA3 brace has a QD socket too, but I won't likely use them.
    Getting a Frank Proctor sling like I have on my other pistol. I like the minimalist nature of that sling on the pistol.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo1VooDoo1 View Post
    And the parts gathering has commenced.

Took advantage of this AR15Discounts.com post for the PUMPKINS 15% off LPK's:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=353202

Got the AeroPrecision LPK MOE SL grip kit in FDE. Yes, EM's creation is gonna have a FDE twin.
    AR15Discounts.com got me again. They had a HALLOWEEN code for 12% off sitewide, even already on sale items, and free shipping over $99......

Added to the parts stash for this build another Aero MOE LPK w/o FCG in black, an Aero nitride .750 low pro gas block and.......an assembled FDE upper w/o FA. Saved $18.22 plus the $5.00 flat rate shipping, invoice for all three just over $132.

I hit the Johnstown Gander Outdoors store to pick up the suppressor I bought over Labor Day and found the store had just gone to 70% off all regular priced items. They had two 7-inch Aero ATLAS R1 handguards left in stock, one was black and one was FDE.....the price was unbeatable. The FDE was regularly 139, it rang up at $38 and the black one regularly $119 rang up at $31. So I am working on parts for two guns it appears. Bought the deal EM posted in the deals thread for the Schuyler Arms Aero assembled upper with no F/A in black and a blem Aero stripped lower from the Aero blem section on their page for $49.95 ($52.95 with tax but free shipping).

On the hunt for an FDE Aero stripped lower and waiting for some barrel deals or deals on some of the other stuff. Need a 7.62x39 BCG; will watch for deals on those as well. Barrel and BCG are the biggest remaining buys, along with the pistol brace.
    Last edited by VooDoo1VooDoo1; November 1st, 2019 at 02:44 PM.

(Allegheny County)

If you've seen my "Reflex Sight" thread, you know that I am looking for a much smaller red dot, but this Primary Arms 30mm Advanced Red Dot (Aimpoint copy) found it's way here via a forum member who was willing to do a trade for some stuff I had.
    I may keep it on this pistol, or I may use it on a carbine instead, but I'll give it some time to try it out first.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast