Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Transporting firearms across State Lines

Quote Originally Posted by crazyyankee View Post
    Thanks tl_3237,
    I would never have considered this to be "importation", but I guess from a legal standpoint it might be.
    To me it's just a Father giving his collection to his Daughter temporarily.
    You're welcome.

Remember that the main purpose of the Gun Control Act of 1968 was to stop most INTERstate transfers.

922(a)(3) is non-ambiguous and, except for some exceptions that do not apply to you unless you intend to die and bequeath the firearms before transport, is on-point regarding their entry into KS by your daughter.

[it shall be unlawful] ... to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

dannyb,
    I don't have a domicile in Kansas other then the kid's house. We will be putting a house across the street sometime next year. That's the plan right now. We are just trying to make the move as easy as possible, other than selling everything and just going out there with our clothing.. I have shop equipment and tools, etc from a life time. Some will be sold, some will make the move. But the firearms are moving with us if I have anything to say about it. (besides, the kids want to inherit the collection.. LOL) As to shipping them I guess that is a viable possibility that I will have to consider. Thanks

If you are going to be living with one of your kids in KS and you will be getting mail there and register your car there, that's a domicile. I know that you used to be able to ship to yourself between a KS domicile and PA domicile and I believe the reverse to be also true. That was certainly the legal side of it a couple of years ago. One of the other posters to this thread said "The tariffs of both UPS and FedEx requires that an FFL be either the sender or receiver of the firearm shipment." If FedEx and/or UPS now require an FFL to to be involved in a transfer, that's company policy, not law. I do point out that my knowledge of KS/PA, PA/KS is a few years old.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Safest bet IMO is to do it yourself.
    That seems to be the case..
    RETIRED Captain, 45th PVI Co. K find us on FB

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    dannyb,
    I don't have a domicile in Kansas other then the kid's house. We will be putting a house across the street sometime next year. That's the plan right now. We are just trying to make the move as easy as possible, other than selling everything and just going out there with our clothing.. I have shop equipment and tools, etc from a life time. Some will be sold, some will make the move. But the firearms are moving with us if I have anything to say about it. (besides, the kids want to inherit the collection.. LOL) As to shipping them I guess that is a viable possibility that I will have to consider. Thanks

If you are going to be living with one of your kids in KS and you will be getting mail there and register your car there, that's a domicile. I know that you used to be able to ship to yourself between a KS domicile and PA domicile and I believe the reverse to be also true. That was certainly the legal side of it a couple of years ago. One of the other posters to this thread said "The tariffs of both UPS and FedEx requires that an FFL be either the sender or receiver of the firearm shipment." If FedEx and/or UPS now require an FFL to to be involved in a transfer, that's company policy, not law. I do point out that my knowledge of KS/PA, PA/KS is a few years old.
    Correct is is not law nor did I imply as such. It was in direct reference to your post:
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I don't know how many firearms you are talking about. If you already have a domicile in Kansas and it's not dozens of firearms, I think that you could just ship them to yourself. Handguns can't go through USPS, you'd have to ship by FedEx or UPS, but long guns can be shipped either way AFAIK. I would ask the more knowledgeable on the board to chime in with confirmation and hopefully instructions.
    But it is why UPS and FedEx will refuse the shipment. You would have to find another way of shipping. BTW, lest anyone consider to just ship UPS/FedEx or any other common/contract carrier without declaring the firearms (or ammunition), Federal law requires that you notify the company in writing to their existence when an interstate shipment's recipient is not an FFL.
    IANAL

(York County)

Thank you all.
    I've read this thread numerous times and understand.
    I think my best bet is to let them take the reloading equipment and move the ammo and firearms myself thru a legal carrier & FFL.
    RETIRED Captain, 45th PVI Co. K find us on FB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12