Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Please recommend air/pellet rifle

Gamo Hornet Maxxim in 22 caliber. Run around $180 from Pyramid air. Comes with a scope and mount, but I ditched the scope and found a Nikko Stirling 4-12x50 Mountmaster (made for air rifles). Check on gunbroker for the scope, these are under $200 and perfect for the task.

I added some foam padding to the checkrest to get it just right for my shooting. Run a few patches thru the bore before first firing. The first 50 or so pellets might give more noise then expected. This is "dieseling" that many new air rifles go thru. They all settle down in time. I've found this rifle is just right for groundhogs in the garden.

And yes, I have an RWS model 48, and they are accurate, but in 177 they don't do a clean kill on groundhogs. Also the 177 air rifle will give you that sonic crack. Not as likely with the 22 air rifles. The Gamo has built in suppression in the barrel, and gas piston for easy cocking. Not a super-sexy air rifle, but just the right balance of cost/performance/features for keeping yard critters under control.

(Montgomery County)

You have not stated what to your thoughts "breaking the bank" means, but I'm a fan of one-and-done so will get as decent gear as I deem sensibly affordable to me.

I'm a huge Walther fan because of their quality, accuracy, and performance.

I have a Terrus (https://amzn.to/2mTruwD). A 'simple' break-barrel for just under $200 that in my experience is a tack-driver. If you want to keep it simple and quality and keep the 'utility' for what you intend to use it for rather than promoting it to some 'showpiece', this is what I'd go with.

Tho I have to also suggest that the poster that mentioned the RWS Diana has also offered up a stellar choice. Wonderful shooters also.

(Chester County)

The RWS Diana rifles are top notch, as are the Weihrauch, but again pricey, but they are lifelong investments that are inexpensive to shoot. I've always wanted and RWS 48, side cocker. Someday I'll pull the trigger on a good used one, scope it and be done.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    The RWS Diana rifles are top notch, as are the Weihrauch, but again pricey, but they are lifelong investments that are inexpensive to shoot. I've always wanted and RWS 48, side cocker. Someday I'll pull the trigger on a good used one, scope it and be done.
    I have the Supermax 1000 Chinee knockoff. Some people say it's better than the RWS, but some people say a lot of things.

I got it about 20 years ago from Sportsman's Guide. I think it was $125. It's been super reliable and accurate. You still see them turn up from time to time on Auction Arms and Gunbroker.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-rifle?a=43380

I just found one on EBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Chi...MAAOSw-XVdbafI

(Tioga County)

I'd love to hear an update.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by nitechampion View Post
    If all you are concerned with is disturbing the neighbors and it is legal to discharge a firearm just use 22 cal cb rounds. with a 20 inch or longer barrel you can hear the firing pin strike. with the 18 inch barrel on my savage its slightly louder using cci quiet 22. I use them to shoot raccoon (in season) that my hounds tree somewhat close to the rare house. Always outside legal safety zones of course.
    Thanks all for the advice. Always believed you get what you pay for, pay once, cry once and all that.
    Someday I'll bite the bullet and pick up something decent.
    The subsonic .22's was an excellent idea. Neighbors being 1/2 mile away are no problem but I don't want to disturb the sleeping princess.
    Am currently testing several different offerings of the quiet .22's and hopefully post a small report in the ammo and loading section when done.
    Thanks again.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12