Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Targetmaster let me down

Hey guys,

Short version: Loyal TM customer. Never purchased a firearm online before. Went to the store to inquire about process and was told $50 fee and that was it. When gun arrived, after doing the paperwork, I was charged $80 because I ordered from a “big box store” even though I told them before hand the store it was coming from and never told about this absurd rule. Feel totally ripped off and misled.

Haven’t posted in a while but wanted to check in because this bothered me so much. I’ve been a loyal customer to Targetmaster since 2011. Just this past year I’ve purchased an AR, pistol and a shotgun from them totaling in the thousands. I’ve never been given any great deal apart from allowing me to have the cash price whilst using my credit card. But that’s ok. I don’t ask or expect special treatment. I like the guys that work there and I feel comfortable there overall. The prices are very high. But still I looked past that. But this week I think may have been the final nail in the coffin. I’ve never purchased a gun online before. I stopped in, saw the pistol I wanted was $200 more than it was online and asked about the process required to order. I told them I was going to have a firearm shipped from a particular store that week. They told me it would cost $50 out the door for the FFL fee and I’d be on my way. Simple stuff! Now, $50 is obviously very steep for something that costs them nothing and 5 minutes of their time. But I agreed to it.

However, when I walked into the store to pick up my gun, after doing all the paperwork, the guy behind the counter says: Ok, that’ll be $80! I said: What? $80? It’s supposed to be $50! It says $50 for the fee on the wall and I was told by another employee after naming the shop it was coming from that it would be $50 out the door. The Targetmaster employee proceeds to tell me its $50 plus $25 if I order from certain big box stores. WTF?! That is pure thievery! Where it comes from has no relation to the process of the background check. The employee then told me it’s another $5 for PICS! Totaling $80 for an FFL transfer. My jaw hit the floor. I was never informed of that and I was had by the balls pretty much at that point. I paid it and I probably will never go back there again. I really liked TM but I feel totally taken advantage of and misled. By the way, on the wall it says $50 not $55. They should include the $5 PICS fee in the $50 total fee. Anyway, I’ve been seething ever since. I value my money like most.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Targetmaster let me down

I agree, that's some straight up BS. It'd be one thing if they told you $80 from the start, but they were not up front with it.

$20-35 is the average range. Sometimes stores will charge more for items they stock, and personally I think that's crap too. I understand they can't always compete with certain online retailers' margins, and they have overhead, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pay more out of pocket. Economics thrives on self interest.

If I can get a great deal online and my FFL makes $25 with no money tied up in inventory for that item, I think it's a win-win. Find a local FFL who charges a reasonable rate.

I wouldn't deal with any BS like that either especially when you inquired about the process before. Lucky for you there is a lot of competition out there and down by you Tanners is the place you need to be going.

I have a local private guy do any transfers I need he's $30.00 for everything including multiple transfers at one time.

(Bucks County)

Just when you think places can't any more weaselly, a new low appears. God forbid you go on the weekend:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

Why anyone would buy anything from a store like that is beyond me. Are all the shops in this area equally shitty when it comes to transfer services?

(Allegheny County)

"SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUN SHOP!!!"

That's what I always hear in response to buying anything anywhere else.
    Supposedly, by not supporting the local gun shops, they will eventually all go out of business.

This is why they will go out of business.

It's pretty obvious by that list that they are "making you PAY" for supporting their worst nightmares - places with great prices.
    They want you to buy from THEM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    "SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUN SHOP!!!"

That's what I always hear in response to buying anything anywhere else.
    Supposedly, by not supporting the local gun shops, they will eventually all go out of business.

This is why they will go out of business.

It's pretty obvious by that list that they are "making you PAY" for supporting their worst nightmares - places with great prices.
    They want you to buy from THEM.
    I tend to agree. since moving to PA 6 years ago I have purchased a lot of firearms, only a handful of them were from local shops and not one was a rifle. I have a set amount that I will pay over the best price I can find online if the shop is over that then I order and transfer for $30.00 through a friend with a small firearm shop out of his home. He's happy, I'm happy and his business keeps running and doing well. He has gotten me a few really good deals on some items by going through him so if I can do it I will, if I can't he completely understands and is happy to make $30.00 for 5 minutes worth of work and 20 minutes more of bull shitting.

The shops I did do business with were all fair and treated me well they just are a bit far for me to travel if I'm in the mood for browsing and tire kicking. Most of the ones in my immediate local area blow.

The funny thing is Target Master considers PSA a big box store when in fact they are just an excellent gun shop with two locations who decided to getting into to branding then manufacturing.
    Last edited by Hodgie; September 25th, 2019 at 11:53 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Sounds like a classic bait and switch move was pulled.I hope you complained about it to the store manager/owner...I would have and I would have told them how betrayed I felt for my years of loyalty despite their high ass prices and I would conclude by informing them that they have lost a longtime customer.
    What's this big box store bullshit?
    Last edited by Krichardson; September 26th, 2019 at 12:04 AM.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Sounds like a classic bait and switch move was pulled.I hope you complained about it to the store manager/owner...I would have and I would have told them how betrayed I felt for my years of loyalty despite their high ass prices.
    What's this big box store bullshit?
    Did home depot and Lowe's get into the firearm business?

I find it funny when business like the one we are talking about here like to pretend they are the little mom and pop who is out there providing some amazing level of personal service while being a staple in the local community. Meanwhile it's quite the opposite just another bunch of greedy ass holes who charge you more just because you walked in the door on a Saturday.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by JackEdward View Post
    Hey guys,

Short version: Loyal TM customer. Never purchased a firearm online before. Went to the store to inquire about process and was told $50 fee and that was it. When gun arrived, after doing the paperwork, I was charged $80 because I ordered from a “big box store” even though I told them before hand the store it was coming from and never told about this absurd rule. Feel totally ripped off and misled.

Haven’t posted in a while but wanted to check in because this bothered me so much. I’ve been a loyal customer to Targetmaster since 2011. Just this past year I’ve purchased an AR, pistol and a shotgun from them totaling in the thousands. I’ve never been given any great deal apart from allowing me to have the cash price whilst using my credit card. But that’s ok. I don’t ask or expect special treatment. I like the guys that work there and I feel comfortable there overall. The prices are very high. But still I looked past that. But this week I think may have been the final nail in the coffin. I’ve never purchased a gun online before. I stopped in, saw the pistol I wanted was $200 more than it was online and asked about the process required to order. I told them I was going to have a firearm shipped from a particular store that week. They told me it would cost $50 out the door for the FFL fee and I’d be on my way. Simple stuff! Now, $50 is obviously very steep for something that costs them nothing and 5 minutes of their time. But I agreed to it.

However, when I walked into the store to pick up my gun, after doing all the paperwork, the guy behind the counter says: Ok, that’ll be $80! I said: What? $80? It’s supposed to be $50! It says $50 for the fee on the wall and I was told by another employee after naming the shop it was coming from that it would be $50 out the door. The Targetmaster employee proceeds to tell me its $50 plus $25 if I order from certain big box stores. WTF?! That is pure thievery! Where it comes from has no relation to the process of the background check. The employee then told me it’s another $5 for PICS! Totaling $80 for an FFL transfer. My jaw hit the floor. I was never informed of that and I was had by the balls pretty much at that point. I paid it and I probably will never go back there again. I really liked TM but I feel totally taken advantage of and misled. By the way, on the wall it says $50 not $55. They should include the $5 PICS fee in the $50 total fee. Anyway, I’ve been seething ever since. I value my money like most.
    Even 50 is absurd, for the little work they do. 80 is frigging ridiculous. I've gotten 5 guns online in the past 8 years, plus sold a couple. Fee was 20 bucks for incoming and 40 to send a gun out, total cost. I'd never pay more than 25 bucks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast