Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Night Shoots!

(Beaver County)

Default Night Shoots!

I was at the range last night testing my new Beretta M9A1 and as soon as it got dark, everyone left. I was there specifically to do the night shoot though. My friend and I were talking about how so many people have lights on their home defense guns but in my experience, I'm usually alone when I go to shoot in the dark. I guess not everyone's range will afford them this opportunity but mine does. It's open until 9 and in the fall, that means that I can use my weapon lights for a few hours. You may be surprised if you've never done it how much differently you need to shoot when the smoke and light combine to obscure your vision between every shot. Rate of fire definitely goes down, less so in strobe though.

Who else does night shoots?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Night Shoots!

Don't do night shoots but have a TLR8 on my home defense gun and the thing is awesome. Recently saw that Jetbeam has a compact light without a laser that is small in size too but puts out 500lm which would be nice for home or LEO use.
    Flashlight technology has progressed leaps and bounds compared to a couple of years ago.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I was at the range last night testing my new Beretta M9A1 and as soon as it got dark, everyone left. I was there specifically to do the night shoot though. My friend and I were talking about how so many people have lights on their home defense guns but in my experience, I'm usually alone when I go to shoot in the dark. I guess not everyone's range will afford them this opportunity but mine does. It's open until 9 and in the fall, that means that I can use my weapon lights for a few hours. You may be surprised if you've never done it how much differently you need to shoot when the smoke and light combine to obscure your vision between every shot. Rate of fire definitely goes down, less so in strobe though.

Who else does night shoots?
    I can shoot until 9 at PMSC but I have not. Something to think about though.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

https://ontelaunee.org/run-and-gun/

Ontelaunee has night suppressor shoots which I hope to attend next season once I join the club next month.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I can shoot until 9 at PMSC but I have not. Something to think about though.
    Do it, man. That's where I shoot. You can get a bay around 630 or 7, have time to set up and shoot with some light then by 730 this time of year, it's totally dark. I have the weapon lights and lanterns at my bench. Head lamps aren't a bad idea either. I turn my car around facing the backstop with the lights on to pack up.

(Beaver County)

BVRPC allows shooting until 11pm. I have been there shooting with night vision many times.

Hitting steel at 300 yards that you can't even see with the naked eye is VERY cool.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HRoark View Post
    BVRPC allows shooting until 11pm. I have been there shooting with night vision many times.

Hitting steel at 300 yards that you can't even see with the naked eye is VERY cool.
    That sounds fun!

(Washington County)

I have done a night shooting event around this time of year, the previous 5 years or so at the same club you mentioned. They call it a zombie shoot. It's basically an IPSC match at night, with long guns as well as pistols. They just attach zombie heads to the targets, and sometimes the stages are made with spooky decorations.

It's a ton of fun. One year they even had us belted into the back of a gator which was driven around a course where you could engage targets as they became visible.

For some reason they either didn't do the event last year, or I didn't get the email. I hope they get it going again though. I look forward to it every year around this time.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    Do it, man. That's where I shoot. You can get a bay around 630 or 7, have time to set up and shoot with some light then by 730 this time of year, it's totally dark. I have the weapon lights and lanterns at my bench. Head lamps aren't a bad idea either. I turn my car around facing the backstop with the lights on to pack up.
    I'm going to have to give that a shot. Pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I have done a night shooting event around this time of year, the previous 5 years or so at the same club you mentioned. They call it a zombie shoot. It's basically an IPSC match at night, with long guns as well as pistols. They just attach zombie heads to the targets, and sometimes the stages are made with spooky decorations.

It's a ton of fun. One year they even had us belted into the back of a gator which was driven around a course where you could engage targets as they became visible.

For some reason they either didn't do the event last year, or I didn't get the email. I hope they get it going again though. I look forward to it every year around this time.
    Sounds like a good time.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion