Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Strange luck with finding guns

Does anyone else have the same luck (or misfortune) that I do? I see a gun, decide I want it, but that I won't buy it new or online - I have to find it locally. I allocate the funds, and just (in theory) casually shop.

Issue is, I find the gun almost immediately. I'll go years without seeing one, but once I go "I'm doing this" they magically appear.

Most recent example was a Ruger precision rifle in .243. Only around a year, didn't sell much, replaced by the 6mm Creedmore (mainly for marketing). I'm already set up to load .243, it's a ballistic powerhouse for non-magnum paper punching, already have an AR308, so it just made sense. About a week ago I went yep, gonna try to find one.

Had a meeting 2.5 hours away from home, on the way back saw a gunshop on the side of the road and went "Why not?" and pulled in. What do they have right there in my face? .243 RPR that looks barely fired. Still has packing lithium on the bolt. Sigh. Ok. If I have to, twist my arm.

I just think it's kinda odd how it just happens again, and again.

(if anyone wants a Ruger carbine .44 mag let me know, I'll give you the guys address)

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Strange luck with finding guns

Yeah, window shopping tends to turn into actual shopping for me real quick.

Didn't plan on buying a P7M8 this year. Ended up with one.

(Allegheny County)

No, because I won't buy a long gun unless it's a FTF sale, so it can take a while.
    Sometimes though, I find something right away that I didn't realize I was looking for. Ha.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

I won't say only but I prefer to buy long guns on a FTF basis as well.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

I have found almost every gun that was wanted. Some things fall in my lap so they get bought, because when the price is right, the price is right. When they are must haves, I buy them. My wish list right now is a PS90 and a Tommy gun. Since I like to see things in the flesh, internet shopping is out, The hunt is part of he fun.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

I've had several pop up when I least expected it, but had recently thought about buying.

I made a comment on PAFOA many years ago about waiting for the Kel-Tec RFB to hit the market. Later that day I got a PM from someone from Shakey's in Orwigsburg that they had one in stock. Probably the first one in PA based on the very low serial number. I left work early the next day to be there with cash in hand. Still one of my favorite rifles.

I was on my way home from my sister's place on the Sunday after Thanksgiving a few years ago. Decided to stop in at Trop just to look around. They had a used Sig P227 for a hell of a price and all used guns that weekend were 20% off. Sold.

I had missed the great Arsenal sell off in 2009 and had kicked myself ever since for not scoring one cheap back then. I'd finally decided, after years of putting it off, that I wanted an AK. Fast forward seven years and WASRs were selling for more than the Arsenals were in 2009. Magpul had recently released their Zhukov stock and I wanted one, specifically in OD green, for whatever AK I would eventually buy. I happened to stop at Gordon's in Eagle on my birthday and on the rack they had a WASR with a green Zhukov stock. I checked it out and everything looked good. No canted front sight, trunions look good, bolt too. And it was priced close to what those closeout Arsenals were selling for in Nov 2009. OK, so it wasn't an Arsenal, but it's been a great rifle, none the less. Happy birthday to me.

I found one of my grail guns at Kinsey's one Saturday while gun shop hopping. First time I'd been there in 20 years and there in the used case was a S&W 1076. I'd wanted one since it first came out. It didn't go home with me that day, however. While it was a grail gun, it was more than I thought it was worth and they couldn't budge on the price. So I went home, looked online, saw what 10xx series S&W's were going for at that time, and realized the price wasn't that far off from current market value. I had texted Mrs Ronin when I found it, but she had been at a shooting class all day, so it had been radio silence. When she got home I told her about the 1076 and she asked to see it. She was surprised I didn't buy it on the spot. I was there the next day when they opened, and thankfully it was still there. It went home with me that day.