Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Legal implications of living with someone who has a medical marijuana card?

I'm living with someone who is considering getting a medical marijuana card.

I'm thinking that if they do this and consume marijuana, that will make them a prohibited person.

SOP for me already is to keep all firearms not in my direct control locked in a cabinet or lock box that only I have access to.

I believe I should be in the clear from what I have read about others who live with an individual who is a prohibited person, but I want to double check.

Depending on the responses here I may consider consulting with an attorney.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Legal implications of living with someone who has a medical marijuana card?

I wouldn't shack up with a pot smoker - gun issues aside. Personally? I think it's just bad news all the way around. I'm sorry if you have any feelings toward your prospective roommate...that's just how I see it.

With that out of the way...if you are 100% sure that you will not provide gun access to this person at any time, and 100% sure you will never deviate from this policy, intentionally or accidentally, then I can't see how it matters if you live with them.

Default Re: Legal implications of living with someone who has a medical marijuana card?

Just keep your hands off it and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lancaster County)

I would also be concerned with breathing it in as well. Especially if you get "tested" for work, etc.
    "If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target"

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    if you are 100% sure that you will not provide gun access to this person at any time, and 100% sure you will never deviate from this policy, intentionally or accidentally, then I can't see how it matters if you live with them.
    They have no interest in firearms and I'm very particular about keeping my firearms secured.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Just keep your hands off it and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Thanks

A foll up question. Are NFA firearms treated any different in this situation?

If/when the police come with a warrant for the doper, it's not uncommon for them to seize all guns in the house.

That being said, if any guns are secured when police see them, it's unlikely that you'd be charged for providing a prohibited person with firearms. But they could still seize them, and make you jump through hoops to get them back.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If/when the police come with a warrant for the doper, it's not uncommon for them to seize all guns in the house.

That being said, if any guns are secured when police see them, it's unlikely that you'd be charged for providing a prohibited person with firearms. But they could still seize them, and make you jump through hoops to get them back.
    If/when that happens. I will be sure to reach out for representation or referral.

(Montgomery County)

But why would Pennsylvania LE have a warrant for a person with a Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana card? At that point I'd say cut into my safe because I'm not opening it. Hopefully they wouldn't call my bluff.

(Allegheny County)

Part of the “bad news, all the way around” I referenced above.

They cant have guns due to Federal law. I don't think you should have any issues. Many moons ago I got arrested for weed and had my hunting rifles in the corner. The state trooper acted like they didn't exist. He took my weed and left. I got the charges in the mail 5 months later for possession of weed and paraphernalia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast