Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default LensPen Cleaning Tool

I came across a Nikon branded LensPen on Amazon and it piqued my interest. It had good reviews and I did some googling and found its made by another company and branded for Nikon. It has good reviews whether its Nikon branded or not.

With the good reviews and the Nikon seal of approval I took a shot.

It works GREAT! Field cleaning of any optic is very easy. Brush away any loose debris and then use the non liquid cleaning end to get rid of fingerprints or other smudges. I've used it on binoculars, scopes, red dots, and camera lenses.

$9

LensPen
    https://www.amazon.com//dp/B007G5NNOW

Nikon LensPen
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006JN3G
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Default Re: LensPen Cleaning Tool

Thank you for posting the thread. I purchased one from Cabela's several years ago, took a quick look at it when I got home and put it somewhere. I thought of it last night and decided to take a closer look. Hah! I spent over an hour searching for it to find I know a number of places that it isn't. I'll resume my search a bit later today, it's bound to turn up...eventually.

Once again, thank you for the thread, it lets me know I need to keep looking for mine.

Rick

Dust is a major problem for rifle shooter, it collects on the surface of the scope lens. You want to try and not scuff the surface of the glass by wiping or brushing dust away. Most can be removed with a blast of air. You can use a bulb type ear syringe to puff away the dust but use care not to ding the glass with the nozzle end. I would avoid using “canned air”, it’s possible to drive dust into the small crevices around the glass.

Fingerprints can be a real problem. Try a microfiber cloth. The lens pen has a brush on one end and a microfiber cloth on the other end The cloth is soft enough to clear away some finger prints and oil without scratching but first use the blower to clear away as much dust as you can that may be sticking to the oils of the finger print. You may need to use a lens cleaning solution to remove french-fry or gun oil finger prints. Zeiss makes a good cleaning solution. Developed for NASA, Purosol lens cleaner is supposed to be excellent. Apply a drop of the solution to the lens tissue, not to the glass, to do the cleaning.

Cleaners for eye glasses and facial tissues have perfumes and other chemicals in them that can damage camera lenses so I would not use them on my rifle scopes. I don’t want to damage the coatings on the scope lens.

Be very careful using insect repellant, such as DEET, around your glass. Some repellants have a nasty habit of dissolving plastics and rubber seals.

I have the Cabela's brand one and it still works great after several years. So yes the Cabela's brand, well worth the few bucks it cost.

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    Thank you for posting the thread. I purchased one from Cabela's several years ago, took a quick look at it when I got home and put it somewhere. I thought of it last night and decided to take a closer look. Hah! I spent over an hour searching for it to find I know a number of places that it isn't. I'll resume my search a bit later today, it's bound to turn up...eventually.

Once again, thank you for the thread, it lets me know I need to keep looking for mine.

Rick
    The place you find it is the last place you'll look!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

My Vortex needed repair. I could not believe the condition of the lenses when they returned it to me. Streaks of some unidentified white stuff and fingerprints. One streak looked like a deep scratch.

I made a mixture of approximately 60% tap water and 40% isopropyl alcohol and gently wiped with cotton soaked in the solution. When things looked better, I finished with a microcloth. Thankfully, the lenses were restored to clean and unscratched.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

Cocaine
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

That's about what it suggested. Good call.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

Helpful tips here, thanks.

(Berks County)

I bought a lens pen and they really work nice. No harm to the coatings.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man