Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tooling up

(Centre County)

Default Re: Tooling up

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I suggest putting electrical tape on the surrounding areas in case the pliers slip. I also wrap a little around each jaw of the pliers.

Be careful to apply pressure "straight" together so nothing twists/slips.
    That's where parallel jaw pliers come into play, makes things a lot easier.

+1 for the wrapping tape around the lower to keep from scratching/gouging it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Many thanks for all of the input so far. I’ve assembled a few lowers, actually using that video that’s no longer around (what a shame). Those pliers look like an item that will make things easier, for sure. I want to put together a more intentional and complete for basic home smithing tool kit. No lathes and mills. Never built an upper, so certainly going thru this thread more closely. Thanks again, and if anyone has something to add, I’d appreciate it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jkinpa1 View Post
    Many thanks for all of the input so far. I’ve assembled a few lowers, actually using that video that’s no longer around (what a shame). Those pliers look like an item that will make things easier, for sure. I want to put together a more intentional and complete for basic home smithing tool kit. No lathes and mills. Never built an upper, so certainly going thru this thread more closely. Thanks again, and if anyone has something to add, I’d appreciate it.
    Ebay and brownells are your friend

(Allegheny County)

An upper is probably less work than the lower.

I had always had someone else install the barrels onto my uppers because I didn't think I had the tools to do it.
    Hell, all you need is a torque wrench and a vise - and the appropriate barrel nut wrench attachment.

Hmmm... I've never had any barrels dimpled for the gas block, but if I were to start all over again, I'd buy one of the many gigs on the market made for doing that. Anywhere from $30 and up.

I've said it before, if I had ANY idea that I would have been building so many of these, I WOULD have bought "the tools" long ago just to make things a little easier. I just kept thinking "Meh, this will be the last one I build - why bother buying tools NOW? I'll just assemble it with what I have around the house like I did before."
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of. Not to mention friends. I started off buying my first AR years ago....was able to keep it to only one for a while. Kept buying and trading up in perceived quality(in my head). Now, I have more than one and want to “tinker” a bit. I know me, once I start building it’s not only gonna be one.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    That's where parallel jaw pliers come into play, makes things a lot easier.

+1 for the wrapping tape around the lower to keep from scratching/gouging it.
    Knipex are not channellock. Everything on an AR with threads has a torque value not just the barrel nut. Half the internet on ARs talk about properly staked gas keys, mpi and carlenter steel. There are a lot of work arounds. It makes sense if you are budget constrained and the price for parts were cheaper than built rifles. But thats just me. Carry on.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jkinpa1 View Post
    If you want to add a few purpose made things for working on the AR, may I humbly suggest these items.

1. WHEELER DELTA AR ARMORERS BENCH BLOCK

2. MAGPUL BEV BLOCK

3. Brass/Polymer Hammer
    4. Poll Pin Punch Set
    5. Wheeler Engineering Delta Series Pivot Pin Detent and Roll Pin Installation Tool AR-15 Steel (On sale at Midway for <$5.00) https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007370226
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Emptymag's advanced gunsmithing tool set:

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

My rock is a *little more square-ish... and I use Gorilla tape! LOL!!

Seriously, for the OP. There are countless videos, blogs, etc. that can show you exactly what you need. I’ve never purchased a manufacturer’s AR15 in my life. I started building them right after the Clinton ‘94 AWB expired. Have built dozens & dozens at this point. Shoot, my left arm/hand was paralyzed in 2014 and I’ve built a bunch since...with ONE ARM! They are easy. Go together like Legos. So easy, a disabled man like me does it! LOL.

If you run into any trouble, or have a question...feel free to PM me. It’s always my pleasure to help others through various Gunsmithing/building tasks.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Huntingdon County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Cool video, thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123