Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Knife question , opinion , etc

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I didn't say my vast and varied knowledge...
    Gotta give me an A for effort though :P
    A
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Philly I do not include in the question .... I understand
    The stumbling point I seem to find myself in is ....
    It's appearing that a knife designed for fighting ... which this is .... does not appear to be recognized as a blade legal for carry.
    Hunting , fishing , camping , pocket knife , etc , etc , etc ... yes ...........but I seem to hit a road block when it's a fighting knife.
    Am I wrong ?
    Am I right?
    I dunno ....... hence the question
    This could be a mountain from a mole hill ..... or not .... I dunno?
    Where does it say that? Here's the definition of "prohibited offensive weapon" from 908:

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

Doesn't say anything about a "fighting knife". It says it has to have a common lawful purpose. You can open boxes with it. You could cut cord with it. You could do any number of lawful things with it, including self defense. It's really not that odd of a design. There's skinning knives that are similar.

(Fayette County)

While we have preemption for firearms, knives are a different story. Yeah we have some basic laws at the state level but you really need to look into local laws for where you are.

(Chester County)

dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism
    As far as the Ka-Bar TDI goes it doesn't open automatically and being that it is a knife it can be used for various legal tasks not excluding self defense. The PA law states a dagger is only illegal if the blade is exposed in an automatic way. That can be interpreted in many ways by courts where the judge only knows about using steak knives on his filet mignon. Judges can make their own laws in this day and age so be aware of that. Philadelphia and other municipalities can make up their own bullshit laws about knife carry because they aren't preempted by the State. Philadelphia does have the law about the purpose of a knife being legal or illegal.

I wouldn't carry anything other than some kind of non pocket clip folder in Philly. I'm no lawyer and don't claim to be one so if you have a legal question rather than take advice from non lawyers you should ask a lawyer that has some experience in PA knife laws.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Knives and knife carry is still up to whatever ordinance a locality might pass.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    As far as the Ka-Bar TDI goes it doesn't open automatically and being that it is a knife it can be used for various legal tasks not excluding self defense. The PA law states a dagger is only illegal if the blade is exposed in an automatic way. That can be interpreted in many ways by courts where the judge only knows about using steak knives on his filet mignon. Judges can make their own laws in this day and age so be aware of that. Philadelphia and other municipalities can make up their own bullshit laws about knife carry because they aren't preempted by the State. Philadelphia does have the law about the purpose of a knife being legal or illegal.

I wouldn't carry anything other than some kind of non pocket clip folder in Philly. I'm no lawyer and don't claim to be one so if you have a legal question rather than take advice from non lawyers you should ask a lawyer that has some experience in PA knife laws.
    ^^^this^^^

Is the way I read the law also. Doesn't mean a judge can't/won't impose his own opinion, but there's plenty of lawful reasons I can think of to carry a small fixed blade knife.

(Lycoming County)

In my looking at PA knife law stuff on google .... I seemed to have run into an area where .... the court .... not I ..... deemed a blade that did not have a legit use .....
    And the the court ..... not I .....did not seem to recognize a knife designed for fightin a legit use ......as being illegal to carry
    If you can find the court case I'd be interested in reading it. Would be interesting to see where it was from and when. Also if it was an appealet decision or not, that would determine if it would be used as case law for anything.

[...] the court observed that a conceivable lawful purpose can be offered for almost any item which is insufficient to establish common lawful use.
    Someone ought to inform this statist judge -- that's not how this whole freedom thing works -- powers reserved to the people and all that.

Why the f must lawful use be common anyway? That makes innovation and invention downright dangerous! Seems like one should also be able to argue uncommon lawful use should be protected as speech. Note my disclaimer in my sig line.

Get your damn laws off of my freedom! JMHO
    I am not a lawyer.

(Chester County)

If I was to wear these open carry to Walmart think they'd be a little skeerd and call the policeman?.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

What you can use something for and what it’s purpose is are not necessarily the same thing.

I would venture a guess that both a cop and a DA will be happy to explain the difference to you in front of a judge and jury.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast