Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default c

l
    Last edited by Boondox; August 28th, 2021 at 08:13 PM.

Default Re: Knife question , opinion , etc

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Every once in awhile I hate to ask but .....
    What is the verdict on the Ka-Bar TDI knife for legal PA carry?
    My best guesstimate is since it's a knife designed for sticking/cutting people .....it would fall into the.... "not lawful purpose blackhole"
    Smart , intelligent opinions please..
    why the fuck else carry such a knife ?

(Philadelphia County)

....just tell the po po it is a letter opener.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Montgomery County)

Every once in awhile I hate to ask but .....
    What is the verdict on the Ka-Bar TDI knife for legal PA carry?
    My best guesstimate is since it's a knife designed for sticking/cutting people .....it would fall into the.... "not lawful purpose blackhole"
    Smart , intelligent opinions please..
    Asking a lot...
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lycoming County)

It's not sharpened on both sides, so it doesn't fall under a "dagger". Should be good to go. Can't think of any laws it would break on a state level. Now Philly, that's a whole different story, but Grandpa's old timer slip joint is illegal there.

(Berks County)

Philly I do not include in the question .... I understand
    The stumbling point I seem to find myself in is ....
    It's appearing that a knife designed for fighting ... which this is .... does not appear to be recognized as a blade legal for carry.
    Hunting , fishing , camping , pocket knife , etc , etc , etc ... yes ...........but I seem to hit a road block when it's a fighting knife.
    Am I wrong ?
    Am I right?
    I dunno ....... hence the question
    This could be a mountain from a mole hill ..... or not .... I dunno?
    Get one, cut the blade off and welld on a steel comb. They sell them in pet shops. Then carry that and find out.

Knife law is where open carry was 30 years ago. Thats a fixed blade odd shaped knife. I would open boxes with it. I believe a fighting knife is one being used in a fight. I bet the average cop would want to take it. I hardly ever run into cops in uniform.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Lycoming County)

Philly I do not include in the question .... I understand
    The stumbling point I seem to find myself in is ....
    It's appearing that a knife designed for fighting ... which this is .... does not appear to be recognized as a blade legal for carry.
    Hunting , fishing , camping , pocket knife , etc , etc , etc ... yes ...........but I seem to hit a road block when it's a fighting knife.
    Am I wrong ?
    Am I right?
    I dunno ....... hence the question
    This could be a mountain from a mole hill ..... or not .... I dunno?
    Where does it say that? Here's the definition of "prohibited offensive weapon" from 908:

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

Doesn't say anything about a "fighting knife". It says it has to have a common lawful purpose. You can open boxes with it. You could cut cord with it. You could do any number of lawful things with it, including self defense. It's really not that odd of a design. There's skinning knives that are similar.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Where does it say that? Here's the definition of "prohibited offensive weapon" from 908:

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

Doesn't say anything about a "fighting knife". It says it has to have a common lawful purpose. You can open boxes with it. You could cut cord with it. You could do any number of lawful things with it, including self defense. It's really not that odd of a design. There's skinning knives that are similar.
    That reads more like assisted opening Kershaws would be a bigger law issue than a Jabari tdi

(Juniata County)

I believe as long as you have a LTCF you're good, as one of the more interesting 2A cases that went through PA courts in recent years was not actually a gun case, but a knife one.

Below is the blog by the attory who fought the case.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2017/02/1...hool-property/

Followed by another explanation by an unrelated legal team

https://goldsteinmehta.com/blog/pa-s...rounds-statute

Contrary to the trial court’s conclusion, the “other lawful purpose” language does not restrict the defense provided in Section 912(c). Instead, the phrase does just the opposite: it expands the defense to include any additional or different lawful reason not otherwise mentioned in the first clause of Section 912(c), regardless of whether it is school-related. To conclude otherwise, would make “possessed for other lawful purpose” redundant with “possessed and used in association with a lawful supervised school activity or course.”

The Superior Court's holding in Goslin is very broad. It means that if the defense can produce evidence of a lawful purpose for which the weapon was possessed, the prosecution likely should not be able to obtain a conviction under the statute. As always, we do not advocate testing the limits of these statutes. If you bring a knife to a school, you will probably still be arrested and forced to deal with the expense and risk of a criminal prosecution. But this decision clearly establishes that if there was a lawful purpose for possessing the weapon, then the Commonwealth may not prevail in a prosecution under this statute.

Emphasis mine.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; September 30th, 2019 at 11:49 AM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lycoming County)

In my looking at PA knife law stuff on google .... I seemed to have run into an area where .... the court .... not I ..... deemed a blade that did not have a legit use .....
    And the the court ..... not I .....did not seem to recognize a knife designed for fightin a legit use ......as being illegal to carry
    If you can find the court case I'd be interested in reading it. Would be interesting to see where it was from and when. Also if it was an appealet decision or not, that would determine if it would be used as case law for anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast