Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Knife question , opinion , etc

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Philly I do not include in the question .... I understand
    The stumbling point I seem to find myself in is ....
    It's appearing that a knife designed for fighting ... which this is .... does not appear to be recognized as a blade legal for carry.
    Hunting , fishing , camping , pocket knife , etc , etc , etc ... yes ...........but I seem to hit a road block when it's a fighting knife.
    Am I wrong ?
    Am I right?
    I dunno ....... hence the question
    This could be a mountain from a mole hill ..... or not .... I dunno?
    Get one, cut the blade off and welld on a steel comb. They sell them in pet shops. Then carry that and find out.

Knife law is where open carry was 30 years ago. Thats a fixed blade odd shaped knife. I would open boxes with it. I believe a fighting knife is one being used in a fight. I bet the average cop would want to take it. I hardly ever run into cops in uniform.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Cans in a dishwasher........
    I didn't say my vast and varied knowledge...
    Gotta give me an A for effort though :P
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Montgomery County)

Just carry the damn thing but do so responsibly and respectfully.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    A
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Philly I do not include in the question .... I understand
    The stumbling point I seem to find myself in is ....
    It's appearing that a knife designed for fighting ... which this is .... does not appear to be recognized as a blade legal for carry.
    Hunting , fishing , camping , pocket knife , etc , etc , etc ... yes ...........but I seem to hit a road block when it's a fighting knife.
    Am I wrong ?
    Am I right?
    I dunno ....... hence the question
    This could be a mountain from a mole hill ..... or not .... I dunno?
    Where does it say that? Here's the definition of "prohibited offensive weapon" from 908:

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

Doesn't say anything about a "fighting knife". It says it has to have a common lawful purpose. You can open boxes with it. You could cut cord with it. You could do any number of lawful things with it, including self defense. It's really not that odd of a design. There's skinning knives that are similar.

(Fayette County)

While we have preemption for firearms, knives are a different story. Yeah we have some basic laws at the state level but you really need to look into local laws for where you are.

(Chester County)

dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism
    As far as the Ka-Bar TDI goes it doesn't open automatically and being that it is a knife it can be used for various legal tasks not excluding self defense. The PA law states a dagger is only illegal if the blade is exposed in an automatic way. That can be interpreted in many ways by courts where the judge only knows about using steak knives on his filet mignon. Judges can make their own laws in this day and age so be aware of that. Philadelphia and other municipalities can make up their own bullshit laws about knife carry because they aren't preempted by the State. Philadelphia does have the law about the purpose of a knife being legal or illegal.

I wouldn't carry anything other than some kind of non pocket clip folder in Philly. I'm no lawyer and don't claim to be one so if you have a legal question rather than take advice from non lawyers you should ask a lawyer that has some experience in PA knife laws.
    The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    please do not misunderstand ..... when I said wait patiently , I was not taking a dig at you for not having an answer.
    Certainly no harm or foul in that ..... if anything I would give you an "A" .... for giving me someone to talk to while I wait .....

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Where does it say that? Here's the definition of "prohibited offensive weapon" from 908:

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

Doesn't say anything about a "fighting knife". It says it has to have a common lawful purpose. You can open boxes with it. You could cut cord with it. You could do any number of lawful things with it, including self defense. It's really not that odd of a design. There's skinning knives that are similar.
    In my looking at PA knife law stuff on google .... I seemed to have run into an area where .... the court .... not I ..... deemed a blade that did not have a legit use .....
    And the the court ..... not I .....did not seem to recognize a knife designed for fightin a legit use ......as being illegal to carry

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    As far as the Ka-Bar TDI goes it doesn't open automatically and being that it is a knife it can be used for various legal tasks not excluding self defense. The PA law states a dagger is only illegal if the blade is exposed in an automatic way. That can be interpreted in many ways by courts where the judge only knows about using steak knives on his filet mignon. Judges can make their own laws in this day and age so be aware of that. Philadelphia and other municipalities can make up their own bullshit laws about knife carry because they aren't preempted by the State. Philadelphia does have the law about the purpose of a knife being legal or illegal.

I wouldn't carry anything other than some kind of non pocket clip folder in Philly. I'm no lawyer and don't claim to be one so if you have a legal question rather than take advice from non lawyers you should ask a lawyer that has some experience in PA knife laws.
    Thanks
    I understand the not opening automatically part ... I just did not want to broaden the matter in a previous conversation .....
    It was not until I started reading some court cases that my confusion began ........as it pertained to a blade designed for fighting.
    And the TDI being what it is .... I began to wonder.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast