Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Medical Marijuana

Need some advice.

I have a friend who’s daughter unfortunately has to use (medical) Marijuana. It’s a sad situation and it seems that she’s using it more often being that her condition is worsening. She desperately hides her use because of the kids.

She has young 4 young children that are all in school. Elementary, two in junior high and one in high school.

What is taught now in class, including elementary school , that drugs are bad. Marijuana being the number one because it leads to other drugs. Unfortunately schools are not teaching the kids that on occasion, in some instances, Marijuana has its benefits.

So my question is: How does she explain to her children that what she is doing is “medicating”?

I need to add this: They also teach in school that cigarettes are bad, very very bad. They are calling cigarettes “drugs” . So of course kids think their parents are drug users. She doesn’t smoke, but, her husband does. The “drilling” got so bad that one of her children went to a guidance counselor saying that his Dad did drugs and they were in the house. Well you can only guess what happened next. The visits from child welfare services, the snooping around, and the threats of having their children removed from the home. This went on for 2 years. If you resist their visits, they can really make your life a living hell.

They have already been down that road and it was brutal. Do they really need to revisit the same road especially now when she couldn’t handle it because she’s so ill.

There is a real fear here. Besides the fact that she is very very ill does she really need to worry about loosing her children because of what the school system is teaching? Could they possibly turn this around to say that she is not well enough to care for her children? She’s got a whole slew of family and friends that give her much much help so that would be moot. However social services/child welfare can make your life HELL if they see things differently.

So my question is: How can she go about this without the risk of loosing her children?

I appreciate you taking the time to read through this. I know some of the content of my post might hit home for some of you, for that I apologize. I don't mean in any way to upset anyone.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Medical Marijuana

For one, I'd have your friend watch this movie..

In Pot We Trust

Then I'd tell your friend to study this page..Erowid's Cannabis Vault for an unbiased, scientifically and medically accurate view on what Cannabis really is.

Secondly, I'd make sure that your friend teaches her children not to believe/trust everything they are taught at school.

I hope your friend gets better.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Butler County)

I would suggest her and possibly a few other trusted family members of the child sit down and have a thorough discussion with her/him.

The mother having the discussion alone might not have the effect of reversing the brainwashing, but if mom, grandma, and aunt lucy all sit down and exlpain the situation, the child might be more understanding about why mom smokes. But the discussion needs to go further than just.. mom is sick and thats why she smokes. If mom trys to explain it on her own.. sadly the children may just think she's some kind of junkie (from what they learned in school).

The facts about why children shouldnt do drugs need explained to the child, not the anti propaganda. Its really important that the children understand the situation.

She may be able to hide it when there young... but as they get older, they're gonna know. They need to understand why.

(Luzerne County)

Unfortunately, the DARE program teaches kids to rat on their folks if they see any drugs/etc. You can already see the brainwashing involved with the topic.

She's just going to have to toke away from the kids and make sure they never see her with a bag/bong etc. That's the only foolproof way to deal with this.

It's a shame the gubment can come between a doctor and their patient, as well as trumping voter will as in the pro-pot states that see the sick get raided by the feds.

(Lehigh County)

I was prescribed morphine tablets and other opiates. Same thing in that misuse of a medicine is stupid.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post
    Unfortunately, the DARE program teaches kids to rat on their folks if they see any drugs/etc. You can already see the brainwashing involved with the topic.

She's just going to have to toke away from the kids and make sure they never see her with a bag/bong etc. That's the only foolproof way to deal with this.

It's a shame the gubment can come between a doctor and their patient, as well as trumping voter will as in the pro-pot states that see the sick get raided by the feds.
    Thats what happened to us. My "wife's" niece mentioned something at school. We had youth services and LEO's at our door that same evening, and followup visits.

She was given a medical prescription for marijuana and THC tablets to enhance appetite and to suppress nausea caused by radiation, chemo and drugs treatments for her terminal cancer. The youth services wanted charges pressed in spite of the prescription (still illegal even with prescription in PA and WV), but fortunately the LEO's were sympathetic to the situation and made the CYS problem go away.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Thats what happened to us. My "wife's" niece mentioned something at school. We had youth services and LEO's at our door that same evening, and followup visits.
    Ayup. That's the gig.

The convince the kids that they are really helping their parents [or etc], and by telling on them will be great because blah blah blah.

So toking harmlessly on the couch = bad.

Ripping a family apart, throwing the parents in jail and the kids in foster homes = good.

And the shitter is, once the kids learn that the evil marijuana isn't as bad as the teacher made it out to be, maybe coke and heroin aren't as bad either. Uhuck, the gateway theory.

(Chester County)

Unfortunately I can't help at all with the CYS part of this, but my suggestion would be to sit down as a family and discuss it. Maybe extending the family to other close members outside of the household, like someone else mentioned, would work too. I'm assuming if she is so sick she needs med. marijuana, her children at least know she is sick, right? I'm sure that will help explain the situation to her kids. "You see how sick mommy is, this is something that helps her feel better, eat better, and not get sick all the time" sorta thing.

I really hope she is able to explain this to her children, i really think med. marijuana gets a bad rap from abusers of it, despite the wealth of benefits it offers. I hope she feels better as well.

All great replies and suggestions.

She does have the ultimate family support.

But, how to you tell your kids what not to believe in school? Aren't they supposed to obey and learn? What happens when they become inquisitive or rebellious, defying authority? Then you become saddled with a child with a behavior problem that the school created. The school system doesn't have the "time" to be sensitive to a select few.

Wouldn't this create mass confusion?

It would seem that the school system works hand in hand with the social service system. Both we know are quite flawed.

This family has never been in trouble for anything. She gets sick and she's automatically labeled a crazed junkie because she tokes a little reefer on occasion. I don't see how child services would see it any other way. We all know that kids can be persuaded to say anything given the right direction. Child services, can twist children's thoughts and replies (leading or even badgering) to the point the kid is actually calling his Mom an addict, a dope fiend. Something so innocent can become outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post

BINGO!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast