Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Any Septic experts?

I'm buying a house that needs a new septic system, the current owners are going to pay to get it done but I have to decide what type of system.
    My two options are:
    (1) a sand mound, which I have yet to find out the demensions of.
    (2) a peat? system, which I read needs much more maintenence.

I have never owned a house with septic nor has anyone I know so my knowledge about them is limited to what I've read online. Any info on either system or what questions I should ask the contractor....????
    "But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security." Dec of Ind.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Any Septic experts?

I never heard of a peat system. But, the system you end up with will have to meet the requirements of your county and the soil conditions in your lot. Before you go too far into things go find and talk to your county sewer inspector first. Also you might find some contractors are authorized to design the system for you so make sure you ask the sewer inspector if he has a list of authorized or recommended contractors, you might also double check on the contractors with the Better Business Bureau.

(Butler County)

without a doubt i would go with the sandmound. They are pretty much zero maintenance. The size of your sand mound depends on the size of your home, (how many beadrooms/ bathrooms) so the designer can factor in the approximate max usage.

Im not an expert, but ive built them and maintain them in my park. Theres not much to it. As long as your pec test is good, thats the way id go.

If you have any other specific questions feel free to pm me.

(Lackawanna County)

Sandmound and Rid X once a month.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Montgomery County)

Although all septic systems are crap....hehehe what the pete is a peat system.

I'd buy another house or go with the sand mound and regular maintenance............and..ah sand mounds suck...big time in certain soils..............

But wtf is peat......................hey do you're home work ask questions, like you did...........peat...........?.....heh........good luck.!
    Last edited by Roscoe; October 15th, 2008 at 07:09 PM.

(Bucks County)

Sand Mound life expectancy= around 15 years

(Philadelphia County)

Got some more info.
    The perc tests where done with the epa and all. The perc was bad, thats why we have to go with either of the two systems above.

I just learned from the contractor that the sand mound would be 4'-5' high 45'wide and 70' long !!! WTF UGH!!
    The peat system would be much smaller and only be 1'-2' high.
    Both systems would require pumps in a pit, the pumps last 5-20 years and cost $1k to replace.
    The peat system is just like a normal septic but after the holding tank it leaches out through a container full of "peat" the peat lasts 8-12 years and costs $1k to replace. other than the $1k peat replacement the maintenance is the same on any system.

Based on the size of the sand mound I've decided to go with the peat, otherwise I'd be looking at a yard that would look like 2 school buses where buried in.
    "But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security." Dec of Ind.

(Lackawanna County)

I'd look for another place. This sounds like it's shaping up to be a lifetime headache.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DCChris View Post
    I'd look for another place. This sounds like it's shaping up to be a lifetime headache.
    We are very picky with our housing needs and with our price range we could have never afforded what we need. This house was improperly listed, the seller used an agent from far away (family?) who does not know local prices. the house was listed about 75k under current market value. So if we walk away we will never be able to afford what we need. Most of the areas we are interested in have septic systems so this house will atleast come with a brand new system.

(Blair County)

I'm in disagreement here. A sandmount can be a pain in some instances however the last two I have had, have been no headache or maintenance. If you are not rinsing solvents and gross amounts of grey water ie: 20 loads of laundry a day every day, not cleaning latex covered paint brushes and so forth I would not be sceptical about septic sand mounds.

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast