Good Morning All,

First post - so bear with me. I'm also not a lawyer - so there's that.

I'm looking for thoughts on the recent (21 May 19) decision of the Commonwealth Court in PSP V Sama https://law.justia.com/cases/pennsyl...-c-d-2018.html.

The bottom line is that the Commonwealth Court ruled that a Delaware pardon removes all disabilities and since Sama was granted a pardon, PSP could not deny his PICS check.

Sama contended that since he was fully pardoned he was no longer deemed "convicted" under the law - pretty straight forward, been discussed 1,000 times in this forum.

My real question about this case lies with the PSP's argument. PSP contended that under PA 6105 (d)(2) even though Sama was granted a pardon, he would then have to submit a petition to the court of common pleas in the county in which he resides in order to obtain relief from his disability. If that is truly the case - is the PSP stating that even a person who has received a pardon AND expungement would still be a prohibited person until they petition the court of common pleas for relief from the firearms disability?

At the end of the day the Commonwealth Court sided with Sama and the PA OAG - in my opinion stating that "a pardon is a pardon." What is concerning to me is that if the PSP were to appeal to the PA Supreme Court and they were to rule in favor of the PSP, would that then make people who were pardoned and had their record expunged prohibited persons again until they petition the court of common pleas for relief from disabilities?

Also, does the fact that this is a Delaware pardon and not a PA pardon have any significance here?

Thanks for your thoughts, hoping for a good discussion... don't hate me for being the new guy.