Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: This is 100% legal from what i can see but i want to make sure.

And one more piece of advice / warning for a high-likelihood potential situation: interstate travel won't cover you in NJ or NY if you stop to pick up a friend on the way to VT.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    And one more piece of advice / warning for a high-likelihood potential situation: interstate travel won't cover you in NJ or NY if you stop to pick up a friend on the way to VT.
    I know I'm splitting hairs here, but obviously, for a trip this length *some* stops will be required. What's your opinion on FOPA being broken if the friend comes on board during a necessary fuel stop or overnight stay?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I know I'm splitting hairs here, but obviously, for a trip this length *some* stops will be required. What's your opinion on FOPA being broken if the friend comes on board during a necessary fuel stop or overnight stay?
    I suppose that would honor the law. You're still directly traveling from one state where possession is legal to another. When I travel to VT I only stop on the actual NY Thruway rest stops where you actually aren't getting off the highway. Easiest, and most defensible for direct travel. It's funny, I mentioned stopping for friends because some of mine live right on the route up to VT, barely out of the way... But I wouldn't do it.

And remember, FOPA is only a defense after arrest as I understand it. I'd have to wager NYS police know the law well but.....

Also I'm not sure if there's any case law for FOPA protecting magazines and ammo. I personally think magazines are an integral component to a firearm so they're covered, but my opinion ain't worth shit on the side of the NYS Thruway. Since FOPA doesn't require volunteering any information - DONT! and don't consent to searches.

(Bucks County)

Maybe ship it to himself at the destination address? I've seen that solution offered here before.

Amongst all the bluster and opinions, I still have not seen any factual basis to suggest what the OP wants to do is illegal.

He can legally buy and complete an 80% lower.

He can legally posses the handgun both here and in VT, so he can legally transport under FOPA.

He can legally possess AND carry in VT without a permit.

Is there anyone to suggest that our current SOE would interfere with FOPA when involving an unlicensed individual who is not a prohibited person?
    I really don't think he has any bad intentions...he really just wants to jump into firearm ownership as soon as he can.

But, at his age and with some of the routes he's exploring (carrying 80% pistol openly, traveling through NY to Vermont...), he's setting himself up for a lot of trouble. He's not the problem, the gun laws and possible overzealous cops are. He just needs to be extremely careful or he could find himself a prohibited person, all for just trying to get an extra 2-3 years of owning a pistol. I have no issues with a mature and trained 18YO carrying a handgun, but it may just be best to be cautious with teh law and current anti-gun environment and wait until 21.

Especially if Wolf pushes Red Flag Laws through, this kid WILL get swatted by a brainwashed classmate who sees he's carrying, or sees a post about guns and knows he's not 21.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

In the Venn diagram showing "stuff that's legal" and "stuff that will get me arrested", there's a significant zone of intersection.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

On a side note.... while it may be possible to walk on a 1" wide yellow line for 300 miles, it does seem somewhat....less than rational, when it is incredibly easy to place one foot off that line and, by doing so, get both your legs chopped off. Especially since if you wait a couple of years, that yellow line becomes a mile wide and much easier to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    So I guess the big question is, "What do his parents know that we don't?"

Why don't his parents give him a gun?
    Well my parents are New Jersey residents, I live on my own, pay my own bills for my own apartment, have my own career as a local 98 Electricians apprentice. IÂ’m on my own. My parents firstly couldnÂ’t even afford to give me a gun as they are pretty costly(I couldnÂ’t give them the money for it since itÂ’d then be a straw sale) and since theyÂ’re NJ residents theyÂ’d have to go and get a permit for it. AKA not worth it.

Haha! We’ll see about that :P

I will stick around here for sure friend. I won’t let some negative ass dudes dissuade/discourage me from doing something i want to. Working on a construction site makes me pretty thick skinned.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast