Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Is there a single sheriff's office that does handgun transfers to 18-20 y/o here?

I'll travel across the entire state if i have to find a sheriffs office that will do one. I'm 18 and am a new resident of Philly after moving from NJ I've wanted a glock 19 for like 5 years and am trying to do anything in my power to get one legally. Please let me know if anyone knows of one anywhere

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Is there a single sheriff's office that does handgun transfers to 18-20 y/o here?

I have never heard of sheriff's conducting transfers and it sounds like you are still a few years shy of legally possessing a handgun anyhow?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Default Re: Is there a single sheriff's office that does handgun transfers to 18-20 y/o here?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsterino View Post
    I'll travel across the entire state if i have to find a sheriffs office that will do one. I'm 18 and am a new resident of Philly after moving from NJ I've wanted a glock 19 for like 5 years and am trying to do anything in my power to get one legally. Please let me know if anyone knows of one anywhere
    yeah, see you in 3 years... learn the law first. google is a wonderful thing
    The chair is against the wall... John has a long mustache...

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, I'm 95% sure you can't buy a handgun in any manner until you are 21.

The only way I'm aware of a person under 21 owning a handgun is by having it gifted to them by a parent or grandparent.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

PickingPA Guest

An FFL cannot do a handgun transfer to anyone under 21. But a sheriff can, which is what he’s desperately trying to find. Although PA gun laws permit sheriff’s to transfer guns, they rarely do because the FFL system is robust and readily available.

Finding a sheriff who is:
    A) Willing to do a transfer
    B) Willing to transfer to a person under 21
    C) Willing to risk his career because some Jersey kid has really, really “wanted a Glock 19 for like 5 years”

Yeah.... not happening

Besides, you need to be 21 for a PA LTCF and in Philly you can’t legally carry off your property (OC or CC) unless you have a current LTCF

(Franklin County)

For the record, the law compels sheriffs to do such transfers, using "Shall....." language, just as with the issuance of LTCFs (and non-resident LTCFs). The reality is it would cost at least a few thousand dollars to get it done legally. Ideally, with a good decision at least one step above the Court of Common Pleas, so as to establish precedence state-wide.

The sad fact is that there are battles on so many fronts regarding gun rights, that a simple "all sheriffs ignore the law" matter is ranked at a very low priority.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I have never heard of sheriff's conducting transfers and it sounds like you are still a few years shy of legally possessing a handgun anyhow?
    Incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    yeah, see you in 3 years... learn the law first. google is a wonderful thing
    Is the tone of this response the best way to create new gun owners? No... Not at all. In fact it seems like he knows a bit about the law.

Unfortunately there aren't any known Sheriff's who will do this transfer. You'll have to wait until you're 21 unless you have a parent/grandparent in-state to gift you a handgun.

(Bucks County)

If you join the military, they'll give you a gun, training and a world of experience. Get out in 4, and you'll be well trained legal buyer.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    If you join the military, they'll give you a gun, training and a world of experience. Get out in 4, and you'll be well trained legal buyer.
    Thread-WINNER!

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Is the tone of this response the best way to create new gun owners? No... Not at all. In fact it seems like he knows a bit about the law.
    Seriously?
    - Create new gun owners? People will own one if they want to, do we really need to "create" them?
    - First post, doesn't sound the least bit hinky to you?
    - 18 year olds have more knowledge about how to get information on the internet than any of us old school programmers, he should be giving us answers, he's been considering this for the last 5 years.
    - Doesn't sound like anyone is "gifting" him a gun

my response was in no way out of line...
    The chair is against the wall... John has a long mustache...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast