Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Is there a single sheriff's office that does handgun transfers to 18-20 y/o here?

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I have never heard of sheriff's conducting transfers and it sounds like you are still a few years shy of legally possessing a handgun anyhow?
    A small thing but he can legally possess a handgun. Getting one is harder if you are under 21 and he can not get a ltcf...... but he can legally possess a gun under many situations.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Is there a single sheriff's office that does handgun transfers to 18-20 y/o here?

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    Seriously?
    - Create new gun owners? People will own one if they want to, do we really need to "create" them?
    - First post, doesn't sound the least bit hinky to you?
    - 18 year olds have more knowledge about how to get information on the internet than any of us old school programmers, he should be giving us answers, he's been considering this for the last 5 years.
    - Doesn't sound like anyone is "gifting" him a gun

my response was in no way out of line...
    I think you underestimate how many potential gun owners stumble into their passion for 2nd Amendment rights and a firearms hobby. If a young person is on the fence at all about the issue, yes they're susceptible to influence. It may even be as simple as "ok I'm 21 now and have some spare cash - should I buy that AR I was thinking about or should I buy the new mountain bike" and choosing a different hobby and cash-sink instead of firearms. Additionally, there's a difference between a casual gun owner and an activist. It doesn't help to create a passionate activist by having the community of like minded people give rude responses, is all I'm saying.

No, inquiring how to legally obtain a firearm doesn't sound hinky to me. It sounds like he's explored the site and learned the law permits 18 year olds to get transfers done at Sheriff's offices and is asking if it can actually be done in practice. It also sounds like he's lived in a state with different laws for the past 5+ years and this may be his first time for the need to research PA laws.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    Seriously?
    - Create new gun owners? People will own one if they want to, do we really need to "create" them?
    - First post, doesn't sound the least bit hinky to you?
    - 18 year olds have more knowledge about how to get information on the internet than any of us old school programmers, he should be giving us answers, he's been considering this for the last 5 years.
    - Doesn't sound like anyone is "gifting" him a gun

my response was in no way out of line...
    An old gun owner who has been on a gun site for years should know the answer.

Yes a sheriff can do it. But the question is does the sheriff know he can do it.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    A small thing but he can legally possess a handgun. Getting one is harder if you are under 21 and he can not get a ltcf...... but he can legally possess a gun under many situations.
    Okay,mere possession is one thing but he wants to purchase one and can't ,right?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Luzerne County)

Okay,mere possession is one thing but he wants to purchase one and can't ,right?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=38910

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    An old gun owner who has been on a gun site for years should know the answer.

Yes a sheriff can do it. But the question is does the sheriff know he can do it.
    Or will he? It's not like it benefits his office any. I applaud the young man for wanting to own a firearm as early as he can and I can appreciate his endeavor. I would say that his best chance would be with Sheriff Weachnect in Reading and a call to their office should be sufficient to get an answer. Please keep us updated with your progress.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

He does and he is pursuing an avenue that could legally work. He is asking Pa gun owners for input on any sheriffs who might allow him to follow this avenue. Seems like a logical step before calling all the sheriffs in Pa.

He might be out of luck, but sometimes the only way to figure things out is by asking.

(Bucks County)

Circa 1955, locus Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Dad, knowing i wanted a handgun, bought and gifted to me a Ruger Mark I when I was 18. I joined the Holmesburg Gun Club which stlil exists. Our belief at the time was you had to be 18 to have a handgun. Dad was a police sergeant and had researched the law.

The district attorney at the time directed that persons transporting firearms by motor vehicle place the gun in a paper bag and place it on the seat beside you. (Vehicles in those days had bench seats that held three across). Then the DA "reasoned" that order was technically illegal as it was a form of concealment for which a license to carry was required. New directive ensued....place handgun beside you in plain view.

I relate this to illustrate how guns have, in my experience, historically (hysterically?) been treated weirdly by public official types.

As to OP request, I'd venture that any sheriff with a brain who wants to avoid executing a transfer will direct OP to the sheriff of the county of residence,similar to a LTCF requirement. It'll be BS, but I'll bet most believe that to be the case.
    Last edited by Bang; September 17th, 2019 at 10:23 AM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    He does and he is pursuing an avenue that could legally work. He is asking Pa gun owners for input on any sheriffs who might allow him to follow this avenue. Seems like a logical step before calling all the sheriffs in Pa.

He might be out of luck, but sometimes the only way to figure things out is by asking.
    This site is a gun owners page which used to be big on gun rites. Hell not long ago it was widely believed open carry was ileagal. This site had a hand in getting the word out and it was eventually added to the state police training manual.

(Montgomery County)

Also just remembered you can build your own handgun if <21 years old. No one is allowed to physically help you. The Polymer 80 kits make it fairly simple and with no specialized tools beyond a drill, file and sandpaper at a minimum. Below is a link to a build kit, there may be ways to piece it together yourself for cheaper or more customization.

https://www.polymer80.com/pistol-fra...bbs-kit-pf940c

DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID and get yourself prohibited for life. Research all applicable transportation laws which means basically you're limited directly from your house to the range and back with it cased and unloaded. Don't take a pistol, magazine, or hollow point ammunition into NJ. Make sure you aren't considered a prohibited person before doing this.

Again, your brain hasn't fully developed yet so don't do anything stupid.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast