Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Huntin' from a ground blind

, Im gonna try my hand at a ground blind for the first time in my life this afternoon, ive always hunted from a treestand, but there are these two mostly white yearlings that love this one alfalfa field and there are no good trees. I gave the blind a whirl in my backyard and it seemed to work, but ill have to shoot from my knees, but i was able to get it done, ill post pics under the thread "deer seasons here, post your pics' if i do any good
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Huntin' from a ground blind

i hunt from a blind all the time i have an ameristep with shoot through mesh on the Windows .i have had deer so close i could have cut their throats if i had felt so inclined.

(York County)

i can only hope that is the case this afternoon

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    good luck let me know how you make out

(Monroe County)

just remember no more downward angle so your shot has to be a little better :P

Good luck and post pics!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

well the blind worked great, the only problem i had was i had to get really low for 30 yard shot, but out to 30 it was good stuff, i had a yearling give me a 16 yard shot and the rage broadheads opened up in mid flight and went around 10 inches high, what a bitch huh? ill be back in the blind (with bear heads) tomorrow evening or possibly friday, but i think it will work as long as my broadheads keep up their end of the deal, so ill keep pics posted, i believe ill get one of those white ones (mostly white) they seem to be a little foolish

(Crawford County)

well the blind worked great, the only problem i had was i had to get really low for 30 yard shot, but out to 30 it was good stuff, i had a yearling give me a 16 yard shot and the rage broadheads opened up in mid flight and went around 10 inches high, what a bitch huh? ill be back in the blind (with bear heads) tomorrow evening or possibly friday, but i think it will work as long as my broadheads keep up their end of the deal, so ill keep pics posted, i believe ill get one of those white ones (mostly white) they seem to be a little foolish
    "Scope Eyed in a Goose Blind".
    So be careful as Dredly finely pointed out: Watch the slope you are aiming with.

As I wash my face and put on my cream each morning, I am reminded of my Scope Eye and the only scare on my face.
    It was a sunny afternoon many years ago, hunting with my wonderful Father, he set me up in the Goose Blind. I thought I was cool as Rambo. The first mistake was using a gun I had never used because I wanted to have a Big Scope instead of my trusty 30-30.
    Dad said "You are a good shot Babe, are you sure you want to do this, you don't need the distace here. The youth in me made me sucker Daddy right in. So he agreed.
    I was his Baby Girl and knew how to handle Dad. HA! HA! He taught me well and he figured I could always use another lesson.
    He told me later that using a strange gun was going to work against me figuring that would be the lesson.
    So with only the tip of my head and eyes peaked out of the blind, here came the doe that was bread with a Budweiser horse. She was huge and maybe 35-40 yards on the tree line just walking and stopping pretty as could be. I looked back at Dad, he smiled and nodded his head. I laid this 30-06 with this honkin' 3 in. wide scope on the blind , got her perfect in the crosshairs as she stopped, and squeased one off.
    Next thing I knew, I was on my fanny and could barley see and felt the warmth of something filling up my face.
    I got up, looked back at Dad and he was already running toward me. As he approached he kept yelling..."Hang in there Babe, I' coming, I'm coming." I was dazed and couldn't figure out what was up with him.
    He had seen the blood fly and thought someone shot me in the head. He was in his early 60's by then and daw-gone near had a heart attack trying to get to me. He was a police officer and knew what flying blood looked like.
    After he kicked my butt all the way home for being a jerk to start with, and missing the biggest doe of the season, I would have welcomed a heart attack instead of Dad's wrath and demeaning stories to all who would listen. I deserved every story too.
    Laying on the blind, with that over-sized weapon and aiming downward, I got busted really badly. Scope-Eyed for life. The morals of this story are:
    Don't big a big shot---listen to your elders---and buy good wrinkle cream.

I did not have to have stitches but do get a tear in my eye each time I think of that day and how wonderful my Dad was and how much he taught me about life through hunting. I enjoy my scare and have made many friends with it. A true hunter usually can pick out a scope-eye if they lived thru their own.
    So thank you for your story of today and I wish you luck. Just remember to hold that thing a little further away from your face than you normally do.
    I loved your photo also. You 2 look like a great couple and it is so great to see another lady who enjoys the woods and understands that filling the freezer does not always mean Giant Eagle.
    I am now in my 50's, been disabled for 18 yrs., and have only missed one deer season in my life. I live to hunt. And everything has it's reasons, I am now a LEAGAL redneck and have a disability permit to shot out of my blind...my pick-up truck.
    All things work for a reason. And all in God's time and purpose.
    Thank you for the memory and good advise from Dredly. Be safe, shoot straight and God bless. Your Legal Redneck hunting buddy, Andrea

(Monroe County)

you weren't shooting through netting were you? those tend to not work overly well with expandables :P

Just be glad it went over and didn't hit it... tracking after a shitty shot is the worst... even worst when you don't find it
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

thx for the input guys and gals, but no i did not shoot through the mesh or what ever and i checked for the arrow clearance before i shot and after i shot there was no marks on the blind plus it didnt sound like i hit anything

(Fayette County)

I have a Grizzly G30 hub pup-up blind and really like it. Make sure you practice out if it, depth perception gets thrown off and I find I shoot high out of the blind if I am not careful.

But like mentioned I have had deer so close I could touch them. I still mostly from trees, just because I enjoy it. Plus my Loggy is lighter than that blind, lol.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast