Hey Guys,

Kicking around the idea of building a 308 or 300 win mag for competitive between my buddies (who have 338 lapua's) when we go to the range a few times a year, or take hunting type of hybrid rifle. Shooting for a 7-10 lb rifle. Weight isn't that important, looking for value. Would love to shoot groundhogs at 100 yards with a win mag, or 700 yards :-). Not looking for .0000001 MOA but obviously minute of man will NOT work. Don't want to drop 5-6K on a rifle, so want to spend my money wisely.

I'm indifferent to brands (have a 10 FCP-SR 6.5 CM for the same purpose) but like the idea of buying a corvette vs ferrari. I want good performance but don't want to rely on 1 or 2 sources for parts repairs etc. and a 15K oil change. That has led me to a remington 700 action.

my choices pretty much boil down to:

Deviant Action, Bartlein Barrel, Some kind of stock ($$$$$ Least preferred option)

Buy used remington 700, blueprint action, bartlein barrel, jewel trigger, some kind of stock (most preferred action)

Buy RPR, 700 PCR, B-14 HMR Pro etc. (probably most sensible option)

**I wouldn't mind buying tools to blueprint and square the action (Have access to a VERY skilled machinist but doesn't know much about guns) and learn myself.

Thoughts? I know a few of you have been here before. Pros and cons? Thanks