Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 help

(Bucks County)

Default 1911 help

I bought a used Para Ordnance GI Expert a few months ago. It's having a feeding issue. Couldn't get through a magazine without having a round fail to feed. The round will partially feed, but stop about a quarter inch from fully seating in the chamber. I was using the factory Para mags.

I cleaned the gun, including the extractor, which was filthy. It helped a little but not much.

I bought a Colt mag and took the gun to the range. Got through about 75 rounds without an issue. Then it happened again for three straight mags.

I can push on the slide, and the round will fully seat.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: 1911 help

Try some Wilson combat 47D magazines. I also found the few failure to feeds I’ve had with my 1911s were due to limp wristing.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Westmoreland County)

Magazine is a good first place to consider. I recall having purchased 4 magazines at once, then after about 1 year of shooting my Springer began to mis-feed. It was the feed lips on the lesser quality magazines that became the problem. The lesser quality mag's will get metal fatigue and simply quit working.

However, since you've addressed this I would now look at your recoil spring. It could just be "tired" and need replaced. Since you mention the round will go into battery via a "push" with your hand indicates everything is lining up.....it just needs a bit more spring energy to get there. Read this article at Brownell's and see if this helps. https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=10262

I hope this helps. Shooting a 1911 is just plain fun!!

Check the extractor for sharp edges. I've noticed some .45 ACP ammo has a smaller extractor groove than others or USGI spec.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the suggestions people. I just ordered a spring pack from Mcarbo.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Check the extractor for sharp edges. I've noticed some .45 ACP ammo has a smaller extractor groove than others or USGI spec.
    Not to crap on the thread, but I have noticed that some brass has a thicker rim before getting to the extractor groove. I've never had a problem shooting them, but some of them don't like to fully seat in the shell plate on my Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Not to crap on the thread, but I have noticed that some brass has a thicker rim before getting to the extractor groove. I've never had a problem shooting them, but some of them don't like to fully seat in the shell plate on my Lee.
    That's how I first noticed. The groove looked more like the one on 30-06 cartridge.

45_ACP_dimensions.jpg

m2-case.jpg

(Berks County)

Good idea to replace all the springs on used guns. Also try hardball when in doubt. Followers can be another thing to try. The disconnector sticking is another.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Many extractors need tweeking. Especially if ya drop the slide on a chambered round causing it to snap over the rim , bending the extractor. The 1911 extractor was designed for the rim to slide up the breech face and under the hook. Not snap over it.

I've heard Para extractors are investment cast and don't hold up. But dumping on Remington Para's is a popular sport on 1911 forums. My Expert Commander has been flawless so far.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    All relevant information welcome. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast