Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SKS slam fire

(Allegheny County)

Arrow SKS slam fire

I have the Yugo SKS, I took it to a couple local gun smiths, and finally send it down to Murry's in Texas. If I take it to the range, sometime during to shoot, it will decide to slam fire when it feels like it. I spoke to Murry at length and he commented that sometimes he thinks the bolts and carriers have had something done to them on purpose.
    My dilemma, rather than pawn it off on some unsuspecting chump (which really goes against my moral fiber), I think getting another bold and carrier would be the cheapest way to go. Now I'm wondering where would I get a set, I looked on the web couple of months ago and didn't see any. Can somebody suggest where they can be purchased.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: SKS slam fire

Make sure there is absolutely no cosmoline in the firing pin channel.
    Next would be to upgrade to a spring loaded firing pin.
    No need to get rid of it, it's a simple fix.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    I have the Yugo SKS, I took it to a couple local gun smiths, and finally send it down to Murry's in Texas. If I take it to the range, sometime during to shoot, it will decide to slam fire when it feels like it. I spoke to Murry at length and he commented that sometimes he thinks the bolts and carriers have had something done to them on purpose.
    My dilemma, rather than pawn it off on some unsuspecting chump (which really goes against my moral fiber), I think getting another bold and carrier would be the cheapest way to go. Now I'm wondering where would I get a set, I looked on the web couple of months ago and didn't see any. Can somebody suggest where they can be purchased.
    Murray is a great guy and an excellent gunsmith he will definitely resolve it. 1st thing I did with any surplus SKS is dissemble the bolt and mage sure the FP channel is clean, I also add Murray’s firing pin so any shooters.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    This........don't just squirt some oil in there and think its good. Remove the firing pin, get out some pipe cleaners and start scrubbing. It would also be a good idea to swap solvents in between. Petroleum solvents for the grease then Alcohol for the brown lacquer tar. You will be surprised what comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    This........don't just squirt some oil in there and think its good. Remove the firing pin, get out some pipe cleaners and start scrubbing. It would also be a good idea to swap solvents in between. Petroleum solvents for the grease then Alcohol for the brown lacquer tar. You will be surprised what comes out.
    You can also just disassemble the bolt and drop it into some boiled water and any cosmoline will instantly melt and float up to the surface of the container:

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    You can also just disassemble the bolt and drop it into some boiled water and any cosmoline will instantly melt and float up to the surface of the container:
    Add some banana leaves and red ant larva to make an authentic vietcong jungle stew.

I had one that did that. Shot a hole right through the ceiling of the range I was at,
    avondale I think it was. Never went back after that

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Next would be to upgrade to a spring loaded firing pin.
    No need to get rid of it, it's a simple fix.
    winner winner, chicken dinner. easy fix. I'm betting there's dirt/cosmo in the bolt

Smile Re: SKS slam fire

If possible I would have swapped with the bolt and carrier with another SKS to see the functioning . JMO but I lean towards a problem with fireing pin sticking in channel.

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    If possible I would have swapped with the bolt and carrier with another SKS to see the functioning . JMO but I lean towards a problem with fireing pin sticking in channel.
    That's not always a easy swap like an AR since the head spacing may be off. The SKS can be a pain in the ass with that kind of stuff.
    Last edited by Hodgie; September 15th, 2019 at 10:42 AM.