Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default English man defends self... jailed for gun

Long story short...... Man in England uses gun for self defense. Jury agreed it was self defense. Man got 6 1/2 years for possession of a gun.

The quote that stands out to me was this by the judge.

"But society has to ensure that great discouragement is given to anyone who seeks to have a gun in their possession.

And this is why we can’t give one inch. This is what most antis really want in the U.S.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...-down-16918425

Former soldier who gunned down love rival from Birmingham cleared of murder

Jeffery Mills, who served in the Falklands, acted in self-defence when he fatally shot Andrew Jenkins, a jury has found

A former soldier who gunned down his love rival - who had been convicted of a firearms offence in Birmingham - has been cleared of murder and manslaughter but jailed for six-and-a-half years.

Jeffery Mills, who served in the Falklands, acted in self-defence when he fatally shot Andrew Jenkins, a jury has found.

The ex-British Army soldier shot Jenkins with an illegal pistol as he forced his way into his home in March this year, KentLive reports.

Our colleagues report Maidstone Crown Court heard the 54-year-old had armed himself with the prohibited self-loading Glock handgun and ammunition in fear after Mr Jenkins had discovered his two-year affair with his wife, Louise, 34.

Mills and his wife Jayne , who lived in Maidstone had been close friends for many years with Mr and Mrs Jenkins, who lived on a houseboat a few miles away in Rochester .

But tension grew when the fling came to light, and resulted in the fatal shooting two weeks later on Sunday, March 17 this year.

The jury heard "angst and aggression was flying in all directions" between the couples, climaxing when Mr Jenkins arrived at the Mills's first-floor flat in Cambridge Crescent armed with a knife at about 10.40am that day.

Within seconds of the front door being answered by Mrs Mills, he had been shot by Mills at close range and without warning.

The single bullet entered his left chest, significantly damaging both lungs, a major artery and ribs, before exiting through the right side of his back.

Mr Jenkins, also 54, was only able to stumble a short distance out of the flat before collapsing and dying at the scene.

A knife was later recovered from the ground, having been flung over a balcony as he tried to flee.

The court heard an aggressive Mr Jenkins had threatened Mrs Mills he would 'f***ing kill' her husband when she opened the door to him.

As she then tried to close it, he managed to get his foot over the threshold and push his way in.

Mrs Mills, a nurse, then heard a loud bang after her husband came out of their bedroom and fired one shot at Mr Jenkins.

On arrest, Mills, who also served in Canada and Germany and rose to rank of acting sergeant in his 13 years of service in the 1980s and early 1990s, told police: "I just did what I had to do."

He maintained when interviewed he never intended to kill Mr Jenkins, and said had he wanted to do so he would have 'shot him in the head and fired more than once'.

Mills added he made a 'split second decision', and that his army training had taught him to 'ask no questions'.

The former squaddie's legal team argued he had acted 'instinctively' when faced by an armed intruder.

Gillian Hunter Jones QC, defending, said the circumstances of the case were 'very unusual, if not unique', adding that there was 'clear evidence' Mr Jenkins had himself intended to kill that morning.

Mills told the court he acquired the pistol, which he kept in his sock drawer, in the genuine belief Mr Jenkins had done the same.

Of the moment he shot his one-time friend, Mills said: "I believe I acted to save my life and my wife's life.

"He was at my door, he was coming through my door screaming 'I'm going to kill you'.

"I had to act...I don't think, if I hadn't done that, I would still be here today."

The prosecution had alleged however that his actions that morning were 'unreasonable, grossly disproportionate, and completely over-the-top'.

Mills denied murder and manslaughter and was acquitted of both charges by the jury of eight men and four women after five hours' deliberation.

The diabetic dad of two had pleaded guilty to possessing a prohibited firearm, possession of a silencer, and possessing ammunition without a firearms certificate before the start of his trial.

Under pressure to protect himselfJailing him, Judge Statman said although the offences were aggravated by Mills not reporting his fears to police, he accepted he had acted under pressure to protect himself.

"This is a highly unusual case. I have no doubt that the only reason why you sought to gain possession of the Glock and ammunition was because you felt under immediate threat from the deceased.

"As the jury concluded, you believed that Mr Jenkins would seek you out and kill you as a result of his being told of the affair that you had had with his wife.

"Not only did you fear for yourself but threats were also made to your wife and to your son.

"But as you accepted, you were committing a serious criminal offence and you knew you were breaking the law.

"To take the law into your own hands is asking for trouble....Tragically, a life has been taken as a result.

"You are living and will for the rest of your life in the knowledge that in self-defence you have killed another person.

"But society has to ensure that great discouragement is given to anyone who seeks to have a gun in their possession.

"These are deadly weapons potentially and were there to be a licence that individuals could sort out difficulties of this kind in the manner and against the background of what I have heard, this country would be a very different place.

"There must be the imposition of an exemplary sentence pursuant to my public duty."

There were gasps and an angry outburst from members of Mr Jenkins's family after the verdicts were announced.

His daughter from a previous marriage had reportedly sat in the public gallery with a box containing his ashes.

She stood up and yelled at Judge Philip Statman: "He isn't here to talk now is he. He is dead now."

Shouting could be heard in the corridor as police officers led them from the courtroom, where members of Mills's family began to cry.

At the start of the trial, prosecutor Adam Feest QC said Mills had shot his one-time friend 'without any word of warning', and without knowing whether he was armed or not.

The court also heard any fears Mills and his wife had over alleged threats by Mr Jenkins were never reported to police.

"Mr Jenkins had taken no more than a step or two into the hallway when he was shot from a very short distance away by Jeffery Mills," Mr Feest told the court.

"It is the Crown's case that the defendant used grossly disproportionate force in defending himself from Mr Jenkins's intrusion into his flat.

"He did have a knife but the Crown say, and the defendant later said this in his interview with police, it wasn't something he knew.

"He hadn't in fact given himself enough time to see what it was that Mr Jenkins had."

Police also recovered a starter pistol and a ball-bearing gun from the flat which Mr Feest said Mills could have brandished instead to achieve 'the desired effect' of warning off the intruding Mr Jenkins.

He added: "Using a lethal firearm against a man he didn't know was even armed is not acting in self-defence."

The affair was discovered on March 8 after Mills and Mrs Jenkins were spotted booking a hotel room together.

Both wives gave evidence for the prosecution during which flame-haired Mrs Jenkins described her relationship with Mills as 'just sex'.

Having confessed to her husband, he then telephoned the defendant, saying 'You f***ed my wife. I'm going to f***ing kill you'.

The following day, Mr Jenkins also threatened to kill Mills' son 'because he wanted him to feel his pain', the jury heard.

But the prosecutor said contact between all four came to an end as the couples tried to repair their marriages.

However, Mills then acquired the illegal gun, telling his wife: "I have got to protect us. He is going to kill us...You know what he is like. If he comes round he is going to kill me."

The court heard Mr Jenkins had been convicted in 1994 of a firearm offence while living in Birmingham.

But any attempt 'to big himself up' by claiming he had served 10 years for attempted murder was untrue, said Mr Feest, and he had not been in trouble since 2001.

On the morning Mr Jenkins left his houseboat to drive to the Mills flat, his wife text him saying: "Not going to stop you cos (sic) you're going to do what you're going to do but whatever happens I still love you and I want you to know that."

However, there was no response and within 40 minutes of it being sent her husband was dead.

Mrs Jenkins denied any suggestion by Ms Hunter Jones that she knew her husband had gone to kill his rival that day or that her text was 'in support of him seeking revenge'.

She was not in court for the verdicts or sentencing.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: English man defends self... jailed for gun

This has to be fake news. How could a person get a glock in England. They are illegal there. As we all know, when you outlaw guns, only the police will have them.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    This has to be fake news. How could a person get a glock in England. They are illegal there. As we all know, when you outlaw guns, only the police will have them.

Even worse.. It was a "prohibited self-loading Glock handgun"... 😒
    "If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target"

(Bucks County)

Fucking idiots are going to protect themselves right into extinction.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Susquehanna County)

Think about it! He's lucky! If this was under US law he be charged with felony murder. e.g. the result of a death occurring during the commission of a felony crime (his illegal firearms possession)

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Think about it! He's lucky! If this was under US law he be charged with felony murder. e.g. the result of a death occurring during the commission of a felony crime (his illegal firearms possession)
    Not if he was an illegal, from Mexico.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

This is proof that most governments prefer their citizens to be murdered in their own home than possess a firearm for defense. Think on that. That’s the evil of a gun control.

(Allegheny County)

He was having sex with another man’s wife, while cheating on his own wife.

Fuck him.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post

Fuck him.
    I'm kinda with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post

Fuck him.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I'm kinda with you on that.
    I get your points, I have never cheated on anyone in my life. I hold cheaters in low esteem and am fiercely loyal to my marriage and my wife.

But in the end they are individuals with free will. The wife cheated on her husband. The man cheated on his wife. As human beings they made their choices. But they did not break any laws. They do not lose the right to defend their lives if threatened.

There could be tons of scenarios why the cheating occurred. None of then would probably be justified in my eyes....... but they don’t need to be, it’s not my life. But there could be scenarios where I might understand...... Not that I need to, it’s not my life.

But in the end I believe every person has the right to defend their life if attacked. In my eyes self defense is a natural right, not a construct created by man. In the end the concept of one man one woman can be seen as a construct created by humans.

Should the guy have cheated...... in my eyes no. Did the guy have the right to defend himself...... in my eyes yes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast