Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: PGC- if you kill ALL the deer they can't have CWD

There are only two ways to prevent infection: remove the infecting agent or remove the organism so it won't be infected. Those are the only two steps that are currently available with this and the first option isn't an option.

The time to take decisive action was years ago when prohibiting the import of deer from infected areas into PA deer farms would have prevented it, but there was no political will to do so. We see the same reaction the last time there was a big Ebola outbreak that brought infected workers into the US. Quarantine serves a purpose and sometimes, but not very often, the needs of the many do outweigh the rights of the few.

As for shooting everything in the area, it isn't a great idea and it may only result in a delay rather than a victory. But it is really the only feasible way to limit infection in a wild population if there is no possible way to immunize the population that's at risk to prevent the infection from spreading.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    A lot of good information in the FAQ section here: http://cwd-info.org/
    Thanks for the link. Answered my question on vaccination as an option. The vaccines they’ve tried produced delays in symptom development but not prevention.

Exclamation Re: PGC- if you kill ALL the deer they can't have CWD

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Prions diseases are no fucking joke either.
    Mad cow is a kissing cousin to this..
    that is a correct assessment.

a bit of history that some of you may find interest on the tse prion aka mad cow type disease.

please remember, cwd has now shown to transmit by oral routes to pigs and to sheep.

terrible news for the feed manufacturers, the mad cow feed ban should be addressed ASAP, because no law exist that stops cwd
    from entering feed for livestock.

there is a great deal of history and data on the tse prion mad cow follies below, for those that want the truth, it's all documented.

the mad cow feed ban of August 1997, as predicted, was nothing but ink on paper. remember that.

wasted days and wasted nights...Freddy Fender

like i said, nothing but ink on paper since 1997...i am stunned they admitted it...terry

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2019

FDA Reports on VFD Compliance

PLEASE READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY;

Before and after the current Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) rules took full effect in January, 2017, the FDA focused primarily on education and outreach to help feed mills, veterinarians and producers understand and comply with the requirements. Since then, FDA has gradually increased the number of VFD inspections and initiated enforcement actions when necessary.

https://bovineprp.blogspot.com/2019/...ompliance.html

CWD tse prion strain in Texas unlike anything they have ever seen before.

CWD, BSE, Scrapie, CJD, all in Texas. i told TAHC right were to find cwd and to stop it from coming into Texas one decade before they found it, right where i said...WSMR Trans Pecos area. yep, true story...yada, yada, yada.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 05, 2019

Unique Profile of The Texas CWD TSE Prion isolates, the TSE Prion CWD, Scrapie, BSE in Livestock, and CJD in Humans

https://chronic-wasting-disease.blog...tse-prion.html

THURSDAY, AUGUST 08, 2019

Raccoons accumulate PrPSc after intracranial inoculation with the agents of chronic wasting disease (CWD) or transmissible mink encephalopathy (TME) but not atypical scrapie

https://chronic-wasting-disease.blog...psc-after.html

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2019

MAD DOGS AND ENGLISHMEN BSE, SCRAPIE, CWD, CJD, TSE PRION A REVIEW 2019 BSE Inquiry, Dealler, Singeltary et al 2002

https://bseinquiry.blogspot.com/2019...rapie-cwd.html

FRIDAY, JULY 26, 2019

Chronic Wasting Disease in Cervids: Implications for Prion Transmission to Humans and Other Animal Species

https://chronic-wasting-disease.blog...n-cervids.html

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 03, 2019

Estimating the amount of Chronic Wasting Disease infectivity passing through abattoirs and field slaughter

https://chronic-wasting-disease.blog...c-wasting.html

WEDNESDAY, JULY 31, 2019

The agent of transmissible mink encephalopathy passaged in sheep is similar to BSE-L

https://transmissible-mink-encephalo...ible-mink.html

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

FSIS [Docket No. FSIS–2019–0021] Notice of Request To Renew an Approved Information Collection: Specified Risk Materials Singeltary Submission

https://specifiedriskmaterial.blogsp...notice-of.html

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Is the re-use of sterilized implant abutments safe enough? (Implant abutment safety) iatrogenic TSE Prion

https://prionprp.blogspot.com/2019/0...d-implant.html

with sad regards, terry

(Carbon County)

I believe it was in New York where they slaughtered all the deer in a CWD area and it worked. It was one of the northern states. Anyway, it was an immediate reaction as soon as it was reported. It is too late for that here in PA. I have hunted WV for over 20 years and they used the same approach as PA. It is spreading farther every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I believe it was in New York where they slaughtered all the deer in a CWD area and it worked. It was one of the northern states. Anyway, it was an immediate reaction as soon as it was reported. It is too late for that here in PA. I have hunted WV for over 20 years and they used the same approach as PA. It is spreading farther every year.
    Norway is trying to eradicate cwd tse prion with a much larger effort, see;

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 28, 2018

The executioner in Nordfjella and Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion Skrantesjuke

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogs...jella-and.html

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2018

NORWAY CWD TSE PRION Skrantesjuke Nordfjella zone 1 Complete Eradication Complete

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogs...antesjuke.html

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 05, 2017

Norway 30,000 deer animals have so far been tested for Skrantesyke chronic wasting disease CWD TSE PRION DISEASE

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogs...ve-so-far.html

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2018

Norway New additional requirements for imports of hay and straw for animal feed from countries outside the EEA due to CWD TSE Prion

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogs...ments-for.html

kind regards, terry

(Bucks County)

This is a temporary fix. Numerous studies have shown that CWD can live for years in the soil and when you put uninfected deer back they get infected again. Once an area is contaminated it will stay that way.

I hate to sound bad but this is like trying to kill all of the spotted lanternflies you see. Hoping it will stop the spread.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    PGC can start at my house. I have a herd that has become quite the problem especially when I'm coming home at night and they're running through the neighborhood. One night I came home on my motorcycle and chased them off riding through my yard. This picture is my side yard taken from my car at about 10pm. I'd have no problem smoking Bambi and it's Mom, Aunts and cousins if it were legal to do. Until then I have to constantly be on the lookout so I don't hit one with any of my vehicles.
    A few evenings ago, my neighbor counted 44 deer in one herd in one of our fields. They ate all of my neighbor's alfalfa and have damaged her corn crop.

I have a stack of doe tags and have invited a friend who also has a stack to hunt here this year. We're going to try to thin it out a bit. Later today we're going to be looking at places to add some more tree stands. I've talked to my neighbors, and they also see the need to thin the herd this year instead of just hunting trophies. After we take care of our own freezers and those of our neighbors, excess harvest will be given to HSH. A couple of us have offered to transport any excess harvest for our neighbors.

Development is out of control in neighboring East Marlborough Township. It is pushing the deer population toward us. Our township has no development going on, doesn't want development, and the major percentage of land is in conservation. Adding to the problem is the fact that over the last 10 years or so, almost all of the land in our township has been posted because of hunters who have been disrespectful of their hosts and employed bad hunting practices. Even though there are plenty of deer for all of us, I don't want these idjits anywhere near me, my family or our livestock. Virtually all of my neighbors have come to the same conclusion.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Berks County)

I can sympathize with the need to keep their numbers under control and as much as I like animals, those who encroach on my stuff are subject to being shot. When we moved here four years ago there were sizable herds roaming and destroying everything the wife planted. But my area is apparently the epicenter for some kind of hemorrhaging disease, which is spread by small mites that live in muddy ponds. Excess rain=more muddy ponds and the result is a reduction in herd like you wouldn't believe. People speak of dead deer in numbers like 15 here, 20 there, etc. If I didn't see the drop in numbers myself I wouldn't believe it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Carbon County)

Gripsafety-- Chester County is in 5C. The last couple years 5C has sold out. I used to live in 5C and would go down to the Doylestown Court house and buy a handful of tags IN THE EXTENDED SEASON. That was about 10 years ago. There were thousands of tags left over at the end of the season. Now there is even less places to hunt so where are the tags going? Between 5C and 5D that is 99.000 tags sold. I doubt there is 30,000 hunters down there.

(Chester County)

Gripsafety-- Chester County is in 5C. The last couple years 5C has sold out. I used to live in 5C and would go down to the Doylestown Court house and buy a handful of tags IN THE EXTENDED SEASON. That was about 10 years ago. There were thousands of tags left over at the end of the season. Now there is even less places to hunt so where are the tags going? Between 5C and 5D that is 99.000 tags sold. I doubt there is 30,000 hunters down there.
    They've moved the line between 5C and 5D. I used to be in 5C, and now I'm in 5D. Here, Rt 82 is now the dividing line. I think it is 113 farther north. I am just east of 82, and therefore in 5D.

My experience with doe tags is the same as yours. It is only recently that the tags sell out on the first day you can buy unlimited tags at the courthouse. The people in line at the Chester county courthouse on that day are pretty much the same people who were there years ago. It would be interesting to see where all of the tags are being sold, and how many are being filled. I'm not advocating a rule change; I'd just like to see the data. We still have too many deer here.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast