Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Union County)

Default Re: Mifflinburg PA: Man with gun at football game

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    What is the Magisterial District Court for the School? Since you live so close, maybe you should be point on keeping an eye out for any charges Nothing like volunteering someone else for a job It is online but a visit to the DJ Office would be more effective. What is the LE Agency that would respond to, and file any charges on, a man with a gun?

Be safe.

Scott
    Should be Mifflinburg Police Dept. wouldn't you think? If they didn't, PSP then?
    Girls, Guns and Gears......What more could you ask for in life?!

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    Mifflinburg is like.. the exact center of the Keystone State. I mean, if it falls, we all fall.
    FWIW, I think Boalsburg or Arronsburg is the geographic center of the state.

But I live in Middleburg (not to be confused with Mifflinburg) and I drive to Williamsport everyday for work. I listen to the news every morning. I haven't heard a thing. It is possible that this could have happened on Friday, covered on Saturday, and I missed it. Or it may just not have been covered at all by the news.

None the less, I haven't heard a thing.

I have been to Mifflinburg HS football games before. Security is not that strict. I would assume some rent-a-cops patrol mostly. And they call Mifflinburg PD for backup. So I would assume Mifflinburg PD responded and took action....if anything happened.

But I will ask around.

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    FWIW, I think Boalsburg or Arronsburg is the geographic center of the state.
    According to PSU Geographers, its neither of those or Mifflinburg. The geometric center falls between State College and Bellefonte, very close to Spring Creek, by one of the fish hatcheries just below Fisherman's Paradise—which means it may well fall just inside the corner of the State Penitentiary land holdings.

http://www.geog.psu.edu/news/centerofpa.html

(Lehigh County)

Well, I'm thinking that if this were a true story, the media would have bally-hooed it in the usual anti-gun manner... especially coming off of the recent soccer mom OC victory which stuck in their craw.

In the future, may I respectfully request that rumors such as these don't get posted until corroborated?

They generate undue negative light on gun owners in general, not to mention piquing false and unfulfilled curiosity about how incidents like this, when actually true, may affect carrying on school grounds gun laws.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    Well, I'm thinking that if this were a true story, the media would have bally-hooed it in the usual anti-gun manner... especially coming off of the recent soccer mom OC victory which stuck in their craw.

In the future, may I respectfully request that rumors such as these don't get posted until corroborated?

They generate undue negative light on gun owners in general, not to mention piquing false and unfulfilled curiosity about how incidents like this, when actually true, may affect carrying on school grounds gun laws.
    FWIW, the entire point of posting this was to see if anyone else heard anything. The OP was not claiming anything happened. Just asked if anything did. No one is saying this is a true story. Just asking questions. This forum is to provide information to those who are uninformed. The way that happens is people ask questions.

And again, while this is a rumor, the OP listed it as such. The OP came right out and said he heard it from a co-worker. Simply trying to get correct information. I see nothing wrong with the OPs post.

Also, it could very well happen that someone was carrying a gun, a few people saw it, police were called, the man was asked to leave, and he did. No charges, no official report. So other than a handful of people, no one knew what when down. Thus no media coverage. It has happened before, many, many times. Just look how many LTCFs are revoked each year in PA. You only hear about a handful of them through the media. While the rest may not have as exciting of cases, some of them do, but the media doesn't find out about it, and therefore no ones makes a big deal about it. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen.....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    I dunno, I'd feel outgunned only taking ONE PISTOL to any highschool these days. I don't even like driving by them. that's why I just avoid them.
    Nonsense the kids at the fine public schools in the Lehigh Valley would never cause issues! haha yeah right.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Cumberland County)

FWIW, the entire point of posting this was to see if anyone else heard anything. The OP was not claiming anything happened. Just asked if anything did. No one is saying this is a true story. Just asking questions. This forum is to provide information to those who are uninformed. The way that happens is people ask questions.

And again, while this is a rumor, the OP listed it as such. The OP came right out and said he heard it from a co-worker. Simply trying to get correct information. I see nothing wrong with the OPs post.

Also, it could very well happen that someone was carrying a gun, a few people saw it, police were called, the man was asked to leave, and he did. No charges, no official report. So other than a handful of people, no one knew what when down. Thus no media coverage. It has happened before, many, many times. Just look how many LTCFs are revoked each year in PA. You only hear about a handful of them through the media. While the rest may not have as exciting of cases, some of them do, but the media doesn't find out about it, and therefore no ones makes a big deal about it. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen.....
    Zef thanks that was exactly the point of my post. It was my co-workers future MIL that told him what happened, she was there and one of the folks freaking out about it.

Him and I both searched and could not find an official story, it is possilbe that nothing happened other than asking him to leave.

Also I don't know why but this is the first I have been able to find my post, I thought it didn't go through for some reason.. Weird.

(Lehigh County)

(sigh)
    Excuse me, but the OP did not "list it as such" (i.e., a rumor)... he pretty much gave the overwhelming impression that the story was true, and he didn't doubt it at all, but was trying to get further information. I quote it here, along with the title:

Mifflinburg PA: Man with gun at football game
    A coworker just told me that on Sunday 10/12/08 at the Mifflinburg Highschool football game someone was carrying a gun and everyone paniced. Apparently the police took the guy away. I have been trying to find more info about it but I'm not having any luck.

Has anyone hear heard anything?

It sounds like he was simply OC'ing and everyone freaked out.
    In short, no doubts are being expressed about the veracity of what he heard, including giving details about how "every paniced" (sic) and "the police took the guy away", along with the speculated interpretation that an incident of OC'ing "freaked out" a significant portion of the crowd.

"I have been trying to find more info" rather than "I'm trying to find out if this is true".

In effect, rumor-mongering.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    According to PSU Geographers, its neither of those or Mifflinburg. The geometric center falls between State College and Bellefonte, very close to Spring Creek, by one of the fish hatcheries just below Fisherman's Paradise—which means it may well fall just inside the corner of the State Penitentiary land holdings.

http://www.geog.psu.edu/news/centerofpa.html
    That's cool. Prior to that I recall being told decades ago that the center was at Dale Summit, the location of the Nittany Mall, just a couple clicks away from the current location.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    (sigh)
    Excuse me, but the OP did not "list it as such" (i.e., a rumor)... he pretty much gave the overwhelming impression that the story was true, and he didn't doubt it at all, but was trying to get further information.

In short, no doubts are being expressed about the veracity of what he heard, including giving details about how "every paniced" (sic) and "the police took the guy away", along with the speculated interpretation that an incident of OC'ing "freaked out" a significant portion of the crowd.

"I have been trying to find more info" rather than "I'm trying to find out if this is true".

In effect, rumor-mongering.
    Rumor: An unconfirmed event
    Monger: A dealer

In no way was he spreading rumor. The wording he used supports that. He was "told" about this situation. Meaning, he is putting it right out there that he heard this information through the grapevine. He is not asserting it is true. Just repeating what he heard. "Apparently" the police took the gun away. Again, just repeating what he heard. He isn't asserting anything that he heard was true. He isn't demanding that his information is correct or that everyone should believe him. He is simply posting what he heard through the grapevine, and asking if anyone has any more information.

No different than me making a thread in the Lounge:
    "Hey, I was talking to a gun here at work. He said Obama dropped out of the presidential race. Apparently, something to do with having an affair and a 10yr old kid to a Muslim. Anyone heard anything about this or have any more information? It sounds like he screwed himself good."
    Now, while nothing like this is true that I know of, you wouldn't come into my thread and tell me to stop spreading rumors. Because I would have done nothing of the sort. And neither has the OP. Both in my example and the OP's thread here, no one is asserting or claiming any of this to be true. Simply stating the information that was passed by word of mouth, and asking for verification/validity and more information.

Simply put, the OP did not make this thread to spread any rumors. Rather, he made it to try and stop the rumors and verify his information. A deed that I commend.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast