Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Cabela's might not be a good place to buy guns...

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    My wife and I go down to the Cabelas in W.V. about once a month (a 45-50 min drive for us). A couple of reasons, I try my DAMN hardest to support those businesses that are pro 2nd Amendment. I have been buying ammo at Cabelas for a while - when its on sale, I pick up a case or two. I also buy some clothes and other items - again I like supporting businesses that support my 2nd Amendment.

We also like the fact that it is a pet friendly store, so our Boston Terrier makes the trip and enjoys the outing with us. I have not bought a gun from Cabelas, mainly because they are in WV and I have to go through the transfer B.S. - I have more than enough local gun stores around me to find my gun needs. I did drive down to look at the two-tone P365 exclusive that they had - liked it, but not enough to buy it. (Price was $499 - I didn't think that it was too much)
    As a PA resident, I believe you can buy a long gun in WV and not go through any extra transfer procedures than if you were buying it in PA. As for handguns that's a different story. Federal law says you can only take a handgun with you from the shop if the shop is located in your home state, so if you were to buy a handgun in WV you would then have to get it sent to a FFL dealer in PA and go there to pick it up and go through all that transfer B.S. with extra fees and all. But if you buy long guns in WV Im quite sure you shouldn't have those problems.

As for supporting businesses that are pro 2A, I take it you won't be shopping at Walmart.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    Aside from the Cabela's in Hamburg they've got a Bass Pro in Harrisburg and as of now the two companies have merged.

There is also a Cabela's in Wheeling, West Virginia, which is not far from the PA border.

Haha! Yeah, I screwed up. I was thinking the one in WV was in PA.

ONE whole store in the entire state.

Bass Pro can blow me and since Cabela's is owned by them, I suppose they can too.

I haven't spent a penny at Bass Pro since they refused to sell me ammo online because I live in Pittsburgh. (and I don't even live in Pgh - I live NEAR Pgh)

Everyone is up in arms about Walmart, but since it only affects a few people in Pittsburgh and Philly, nobody cares that Bass Pro follows the illegal (preemption violations) laws of Pgh and Philly. The ONLY online vendor I'm aware of that abides by illegal laws.
    Screw them.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

As a PA resident, I believe you can buy a long gun in WV and not go through any extra transfer procedures than if you were buying it in PA. As for handguns that's a different story. Federal law says you can only take a handgun with you from the shop if the shop is located in your home state, so if you were to buy a handgun in WV you would then have to get it sent to a FFL dealer in PA and go there to pick it up and go through all that transfer B.S. with extra fees and all. But if you buy long guns in WV Im quite sure you shouldn't have those problems.

As for supporting businesses that are pro 2A, I take it you won't be shopping at Walmart.
    Oh, I am aware of all of that (I had an FFL for 6 years, 3 in KY and then 3 in WA). I haven't bought a rifle or shotgun in many years, so I was speaking strictly of handguns. I am even aware that Cabelas in Wheeling has some sort of arraignment with an FFL shop in Claysville that they send the gun to and the PA resident can pick it up from them...

But honestly, I've bought enough guns at different FFLS (just over the last three years I have bought guns - plural, at 9 different FFLs in the greater Pgh area) that I don't really need to go through the transfer stuff.

As to Walmart, yep no more.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Nope, not unless its during a really busy time such as around Christmas or on Black Friday after Thanksgiving. The last time I got a gun at Cabela's it took about ten or fifteen minutes.
    I bought a lower a couple of weeks ago at cabelas .Walked right up to the counter and was waited right on. I was still there for close to an hour. That's one of the reasons I hate buying guns at Cabelas.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Haha! Yeah, I screwed up. I was thinking the one in WV was in PA.

ONE whole store in the entire state.

Bass Pro can blow me and since Cabela's is owned by them, I suppose they can too.

I haven't spent a penny at Bass Pro since they refused to sell me ammo online because

Everyone is up in arms about Walmart, but since it only affects a few people in Pittsburgh and Philly, nobody cares that Bass Pro follows the illegal (preemption violations) laws of Pgh and Philly. The ONLY online vendor I'm aware of that abides by illegal laws.
    Screw them.
    Just wondering if you complained about this to them?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Just wondering if you complained about this to them?
    Read all about it. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=271078
    I even included the online chat I had with them regarding it.

After that I stopped giving them my money. I even tore up a coupon for $20 off any purchase - no minimum.

And I'm "internet famous" over it too!
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ba...-philadelphia/
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Read all about it. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=271078
    I even included the online chat I had with them regarding it.

After that I stopped giving them my money. I even tore up a coupon for $20 off any purchase - no minimum.

And I'm "internet famous" over it too!
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ba...-philadelphia/
    Good read.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Schuylkill County)

Well this is for sure, Cabela's will no doubt see a big increase in business from former Walmart customers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234