Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question on a Colt commander

So I picked one up last week used. It’s an 80 series stainless. I took it out today for some exercise and was having some feeding issues. I have the mag it came with which is a colt 8-rnd 2-8-rnd chip mccormick and 1 Wilson combat and it did it with all mags so I believe it’s a gun issue not a mag issue due to all the mags except the colt I bought new about 1.5 years ago and may have 500 rounds through each. I would get fail to feeds into the chamber and would not go home if I bumped the slide with my fist. I would also get fail to feeds that would look like stove pipes inside the slide. I’m getting a new mag spring for the colt mag and a recoil spring #18 just to be sure of them. Any ideas what to look for or where I should be headed with this. I prolly fired 75 rounds today just cause it was annoying and I had maybe 10 failures. I cleaned and lubed the gun with hopped and G96 gun treatment which is my standard so I like to believe it was lubed well and clean. I didn’t take any pics of the jams but think of a stove pipe not sticking out of the slide

(Elk County)

Default Re: Question on a Colt commander

What ammo?

When troubleshooting a 45 1911, always shoot 230 gr FMJ factory ammo.

The recoil spring may need replaced but my $$$ is on the extractor needing tuned. Too much force on the case rim doesn't allow the round to "pivot" up and then release upward from under the extractor hook. So the round gets "stuck" on the ramp and partly in the chamber. Resist any temptation to polish the feed ramp before tuning the extractor and trying a new standard force recoil spring. Do a YT search on 1911 extractor tuning for more 411.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    What ammo?

When troubleshooting a 45 1911, always shoot 230 gr FMJ factory ammo.

The recoil spring may need replaced but my $$$ is on the extractor needing tuned. Too much force on the case rim doesn't allow the round to "pivot" up and then release upward from under the extractor hook. So the round gets "stuck" on the ramp and partly in the chamber. Resist any temptation to polish the feed ramp before tuning the extractor and trying a new standard force recoil spring. Do a YT search on 1911 extractor tuning for more 411.

Noah
    Box of 50 sellier&bellot 230gr fmj and approx half a box of Winchester flat nose fmj 230gr. Did it with both. I’ll check the extractor I did a detail clean on the slide and I did think it was tight going out and in but wasn’t sure so I went with it as is.
    Thanks Noah

Something I forgot to mention is ejection is all over the place. Some went to the side some went behind me but most went to my 1 o’clock about 3-4 feet in front of me
    Last edited by *Klutch*; September 10th, 2019 at 09:07 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    So I picked one up last week used. It’s an 80 series stainless. I took it out today for some exercise and was having some feeding issues. I have the mag it came with which is a colt 8-rnd 2-8-rnd chip mccormick and 1 Wilson combat and it did it with all mags so I believe it’s a gun issue not a mag issue due to all the mags except the colt I bought new about 1.5 years ago and may have 500 rounds through each. I would get fail to feeds into the chamber and would not go home if I bumped the slide with my fist. I would also get fail to feeds that would look like stove pipes inside the slide. I’m getting a new mag spring for the colt mag and a recoil spring #18 just to be sure of them. Any ideas what to look for or where I should be headed with this. I prolly fired 75 rounds today just cause it was annoying and I had maybe 10 failures. I cleaned and lubed the gun with hopped and G96 gun treatment which is my standard so I like to believe it was lubed well and clean. I didn’t take any pics of the jams but think of a stove pipe not sticking out of the slide
    These will run dry without much issues,
    Replace the recoil spring and try other mags,
    Ive built enough 1911s from piles of Ebay parts and they will typically run fine,
    New springs and known good mags are a good place to start

(Berks County)

Pull out the extractor and clean the hole and look at the hook. Recoil and mag springs, and try different followers. Check for bullet clearance with the slide release.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man