Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Uberti Remington 1858 New Army revolver in .45LC

I was at a gun bash this past weekend and won a Cowboy themed package with two guns, one of which was a Uberti replica of the Remington 1858 New Army Revolver. Apparently it was true state of the art in 1858. The original was a percussion and then cap and ball gun before evolving into a cartridge gun. The one I won is chambered in .45LC. I was kind of on the fence with keeping it since that genre is not really my thing (Cowboy Action Shooting, Civil War reenacting...) but it really a pretty gun and definitely different than anything I probably would have chosen if there was a choice. My only SA revolvers are a couple of the Ruger Vaquero Talo editions with the birdshead grips, which I love. At first I was thinking I could sell or trade this toward another of the Rugers in a caliber that I don't have, but no decision there yet. So anyone have a special interest in guns of this type? Keep it or sell/trade it?

Default Re: Uberti Remington 1858 New Army revolver in .45LC

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo1VooDoo1 View Post
    I was at a gun bash this past weekend and won a Cowboy themed package with two guns, one of which was a Uberti replica of the Remington 1858 New Army Revolver. Apparently it was true state of the art in 1858. The original was a percussion and then cap and ball gun before evolving into a cartridge gun. The one I won is chambered in .45LC. I was kind of on the fence with keeping it since that genre is not really my thing (Cowboy Action Shooting, Civil War reenacting...) but it really a pretty gun and definitely different than anything I probably would have chosen if there was a choice. My only SA revolvers are a couple of the Ruger Vaquero Talo editions with the birdshead grips, which I love. At first I was thinking I could sell or trade this toward another of the Rugers in a caliber that I don't have, but no decision there yet. So anyone have a special interest in guns of this type? Keep it or sell/trade it?
    It's the same model gun Clint Eastwood used in Pale Rider. Worth keeping for that reason alone. Get a few more cylinders and you have some quick reloads.

Spoiler Alert, lol

(Susquehanna County)

Very cool piece! Hang on to it! In fact get an 1873 or 1892 Winchester (or Marlin 1894) in the same caliber to go along with it then have fun shooting them! You don't have to play the Cowboy game to have a ball shooting period firearms!

In fact I'm envious1 I've never won anything of worth!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Westmoreland County)

Love both of the comments!! The companion gun in the cowboy package is a Rossi 44Magnum lever action.

(York County)

My ancient computer can't see the images, but there are actually several different versions of the Uberti 1858 on the market. A cap and ball version of the 1858 is a replica arm and does not need to go thru an FFL. The "conversion" model is really a factory made (modern) firearm that simply uses the frame of the old cap and ball but is otherwise a cartridge gun from the ground up.

Eastwood used one of the converted cap and balls in Pale Rider. It had a cylinder which had to be removed for reloading with cartridges.

Either way, I have both the cap and ball and later 1875 models. Both are neat guns. My only dislike is the cost of .45 LC ammo.

Some find that the Remington design is more comfortable in the hand than the Colt SA. Its a bit heavier too, but in the end its more of a personal choice thing.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    My ancient computer can't see the images, but there are actually several different versions of the Uberti 1858 on the market. A cap and ball version of the 1858 is a replica arm and does not need to go thru an FFL. The "conversion" model is really a factory made (modern) firearm that simply uses the frame of the old cap and ball but is otherwise a cartridge gun from the ground up.

Eastwood used one of the converted cap and balls in Pale Rider. It had a cylinder which had to be removed for reloading with cartridges.

Either way, I have both the cap and ball and later 1875 models. Both are neat guns. My only dislike is the cost of .45 LC ammo.

Some find that the Remington design is more comfortable in the hand than the Colt SA. Its a bit heavier too, but in the end its more of a personal choice thing.
    One very easy to reload caliber. Cast your own bullets and save even more.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Westmoreland County)

The version I have is the more modern Uberti conversion to 45LC cartridges. It is not the cap and ball true to the original.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    One very easy to reload caliber. Cast your own bullets and save even more.
    Very true! In fact it is an excellent first cartridge to start to learn reloading on! Large straight wall case, easy to handle, easy to follow the progress of the cases, lots of data and a huge choice of bullets and powders available!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

I have always wanted one. Someday it will move up to #1 on my priority list must have and I will buy one.

Good Luck with it and post some of your experience with it after you shoot it a few times. If you reload please post your loads and results. I will be reloading 45 LC in the very near future. I have a S&W 45 LC Mountain Pistol that I have never fires so if you reload I/we would like to know about your loads and results.