Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FOPA and Amtrak

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: FOPA and Amtrak

It is so cheap to fly I can't imagine why anyone would want to take a train.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    If I ship it to myself in Arizona would I still have to involve an FFL?

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Yes. It must be shipped to an FFL , and many FFLs will not accept firearms shipped from non-FFLs. You would then need to have the FFL basically sell/transfer it back to you , but I don't think you as a PA resident can 'buy' a handgun in AZ.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm remembering this wrong and I've never had to do this, but I think I recall it being discussed that it was permissible to ship a firearm to yourself in another state if the package is addressed to you at wherever you were staying without a FFL being involved? And also back home?

An example would be where you were going on a hunt so you shipped your rifle out to the location and shipped it back home when finished?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    It is so cheap to fly I can't imagine why anyone would want to take a train.
    I don't particularly like flying. I hate the security theater around airports. But mainly it's because of anxiety and my inner ears being weird. Last time I flew I was literally deaf for 2 days afterwards with another 2 dealing with constant painful popping in my ears.

Unless I can confirm they keep possession of my bags or I can mail a gun to myself, looks like I'm driving.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by crffl View Post

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm remembering this wrong and I've never had to do this, but I think I recall it being discussed that it was permissible to ship a firearm to yourself in another state if the package is addressed to you at wherever you were staying without a FFL being involved? And also back home?

An example would be where you were going on a hunt so you shipped your rifle out to the location and shipped it back home when finished?

Found it, from the ATF

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...-firearms-usps

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Allegheny County)

I don't particularly like flying. I hate the security theater around airports. But mainly it's because of anxiety and my inner ears being weird. Last time I flew I was literally deaf for 2 days afterwards with another 2 dealing with constant painful popping in my ears.

Unless I can confirm they keep possession of my bags or I can mail a gun to myself, looks like I'm driving.
    Makes sense.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by crffl View Post
    Problematic for shipping handguns. Without an FFL cannot ship USPS and UPS/FedEx tariffs only allow shipping if an FFL is either the shipper or the receiver.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Do Chicago local laws prohibit the possession of a cased & locked unloaded handgun? That's the crux of your question. Maybe hop on an Illinois gun forum to ask this question.

(Berks County)

Consider this scenario - which happened to me. Did the Amtrak to Flagstaff via Chicago. Noticed dozens of buses outside the Amtrak station in Chicago. Hmm... That's odd. No, one of those buses was ours. Chicago to St Louis. So, we had custody of our luggage like it or not. We schlepped to and from bus multiple times. Nightmare. Gone was our sleeper. Gone was our steak dinner.

We spent well over 12 hours on that bus. We got the one with no A/C. People on the bus mutinied and threatened to call 911 if the driver didn't give us an opportunity to get off for food and water.

No Amtrak. Never. Friends don't let friends take Amtrak.

Amtrak is to transportation as Taurus is to guns.

(Lehigh County)

I found taking a Benadryl before flying helps a lot. I once flew PHL to BOS and the pain was intense because my sinuses were blocked due to a cold. Never again!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    In my opinion, taking the train is an overpriced uncomfortable shit show, and it is not worth the hassle 2A or otherwise.
    Disarming on a poorly secured mode of mass transit favored by Islamic Jihadists for attacks around the world is not my idea of a good time either.
    Best to drive or fly.
    Just my owe two.
    In addition to risking everything in Chicago. You do not want to be caught in violation there....or even be there period.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12