Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pittsburgh Considering Lost/Stolen Gun Reporting Requirement

So I'm listening to the news as I work (ie drive around) this morning and I hear that the City of Pittsburgh is considering an ordnance that would require gun owners to report lost or stolen weapons within 24 hours.

Now I know that these types of ordinances may be illegal under 6120 (preemption) - but what really got me was the city councilman's sound bite explaining why they want this law. They claimed that straw purchasers are going to gun shows and gun shops and then turning around and selling them on the street.

Does anyone else find this a rediculus claim? Who in their right mind would go to a gun store or show, buy guns for $300-$500 each, then turn around and sell them on the street for $50-$150?

They also mentioned on the news that Allentown and Philly have similar laws on the books - but no mention of the illegality of said laws.
    Last edited by lildobe; October 15th, 2008 at 08:10 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh Considering Lost/Stolen Gun Reporting Requirement

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    Oops, missed that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    So I'm listening to the news as I work (ie drive around) this morning and I hear that the City of Pittsburgh is considering an ordnance that would require gun owners to report lost or stolen weapons within 24 hours.

Now I know that these types of ordinances may be illegal under 6120 (preemption) - but what really got me was the city councilman's sound bite explaining why they want this law. They claimed that straw purchasers are going to gun shows and gun shops and then turning around and selling them on the street.

Does anyone else find this a rediculus claim? Who in their right mind would go to a gun store or show, buy guns for $300-$500 each, then turn around and sell them on the street for $50-$150?

They also mentioned on the news that Allentown and Philly have similar laws on the books - but no mention of the illegality of said laws.
    Straw purchasers don't take huge hits like that. They are either given money to buy the firearm, or some sort of controlled substance by the person who is prohibited. Does it happen, yes. Guns bought on the street for 50 bucks are the ones that have been either stolen or provided in exchange for controlled substances.
    Jules