Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Recent purchases: Colt AR-15 GVT model, SIG 556

Just got these two and they are a bit outside of my wheelhouse. The reason i got the Colt is because its the same type i used while in the Marine Corps...idont know the value on these things so i probably got hosed on it at $850. the SIG 556 (not pictured is used lightly and came with a vortex optic) which i got for $800. both of these seem to be good rifles except the crappy fit and finish of the Colt which is just crappy quality. i dont know if i will be keeping them both, but was just curious if there is/are any advantages to either. If i had to get rid of one, which one should be kept and which one should be sent along to another home? i already know the capabilities of the AR as I used this same rifle in Division matches while in the Marines and was able to hit a 2 inch center at 600 yards without optics. can i expect the same from the SIG?

Default Re: Recent purchases: Colt AR-15 GVT model, SIG 556

Nice! I'd keep the Colt , especially since it has a 1:7 barrel and a big plus if that's a real Colt scope. Parts are everywhere. Doubt you (or I) will be going on any covert missions deep behind enemy lines , or burning thru a few hundred round on full-auto between cleanings , so the lack of the currently 'mandatory to be tacti-kool' piston actuation is no big deal.

I'm not sure if the Sig uses standard M16/AR15 fire-control parts. Don't think it's legal for CMP service rifle competitions either.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

My wife has a Sig 556 Patrol that she uses for 2 and 3 gun competitions. Out of the box it had a crappy folding stock and a lousy trigger. I added a folding stock adapter that took an AR buffer tube and stock. I also upgraded the trigger with a hammer and sear kit from ShootingSight.com and a spring kit from scoroTech out of Germany (no longer in business). Both made a huge improvement, and got the rifle to as close to "match grade" as it will ever get. It's not as nice as a Geissele trigger, but it's still really good.

Accuracy-wise, the 556 is a decent shooter. It likes heavier bullets over lighter lighter ones due to the 1 in 7 twist barrel. MOA or even sub-MOA is possible with the right ammo (IMI 77gr Razorcore). With standard 55gr ammo, most AR's will out shoot a 556.

Reliability is excellent. The gas piston system went 15k rounds before I finally pulled it apart and properly cleaned it. And that was only because the rifle experienced its first and only FTE during a match.

Overall, the 556 is a very good battle rifle based on the AK. The aftermarket for it is pretty limited. If you're looking for AR modularity, get an AR. It's not a DMR (unless you have the DMR version), but it can be used as one in a pinch with the right ammo and scope setup. It takes some work to get it up to match grade for speed, however.

(Montgomery County)

I think you got a pretty good deal on the Colt. Enjoy!!!

(Carbon County)

I am older than you and used the A-1. Does the military issue A-2 have the screw in the front instead of the take down pin? I know the early civilian Colt AR-15 had them too.

(Elk County)

IMO and experience, you got a good deal on both of them, especially an older smooth-side Colt like that.

I had a SIG 556 for several years and while it was reliable and reasonably accurate, difficulty in obtaining what I thought to be critical spares in the event of S hitting the F is what put me off the 556 in favor of ARs. SIG was a monumental PITA to deal with on a few of the parts which they would not sell me, saying that the rifle had to be returned for those parts to be fitted.

AR parts grow on trees by comparison, and as a former 2111 I can all but detail disassemble an AR pretty much eyes closed. The SIG 556 had nothing on the ARs in either accuracy or reliability. The SIG was sold to a FFL friend at a gun show, who sold it a couple hours later to a customer who had been "looking all over for one!" I didn't give it a second thought; SIG itself turned me off by being a PITA to deal with.

Since then, I've pretty much standardized on the Colt 6520 LE carbine because I like the light weight, fast-handling characteristics of them, and LE trade-ins were plentiful and reasonably priced a couple-few years ago, and several years before that.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Columbia County)

I would hold onto the colt. The problem with the SIG 556 is SIG has discontinued them. A lot of the early SIG 556, the one with the fish gill forearm stock, had accuracy problems. SIG went on to produce upgraded versions of the 556 and stopped production with the SIG 556XI. They advertised on their website how modular they were and promised caliber conversion kits and other conversion parts. That never materialized and SIG stopped production and moved on to their SIG MCX and now their SIG Virtus Rifle.
    It was supposed to be their American version of the SIG 550 but it failed at that. Besides the Colt AR 15 is more ergonomic than the SIG 556. The one advantage of the 556 is the folding stock.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; September 9th, 2019 at 12:23 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    I would hold onto the colt. The problem with the SIG 556 is SIG has discontinued them. A lot of the early SIG 556, the one with the fish gill forearm stock, had accuracy problems. SIG went on to produce upgraded versions of the 556 and stopped production with the SIG 556XI. They advertised on their website how modular they were and promised caliber conversion kits and other conversion parts. That never materialized and SIG stopped production and moved on to their SIG MCX and now their SIG Virtus Rifle.
    It was supposed to be their American version of the SIG 550 but it failed at that. Besides the Colt AR 15 is more ergonomic than the SIG 556. The one advantage of the 556 is the folding stock.
    I feel like it was an awkward rifle in terms of its place in the market. It doesn't have many advantages over what's already out there (AKA, AR) aside from a folding stock, so it doesn't appeal to the practical folk, but it's not a true SG550 series gun so it doesn't appeal to collectors either.

(Montgomery County)

Does your Colt have a Bayonet Lug?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post
    Does your Colt have a Bayonet Lug?
    yes, it does have the bayonet lug. i tried looking up the serial number for a date but i cannot find any info on it. someone told me is is more than likely 1988-1990 production. not sure if thats true or not. i just dont know which one to keep and which one to let go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast