Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ideas for ballpark used AR-15 price?

Finally convinced newbie gun buddy to get off his dead ass and buy an AR before the panic sets in/gets worse. He plans on a cash FTF transaction at an upcoming gun show.

I have more ARs than I can shoot but mine are keepers, so I told him to keep his eyes open for an over the counter name-brand AR, such as FN, Colt, S&W, SIG. Not a Ruger fan due to their flash hider.
    Any other “common” readily-found brands he should look for and ballpark price to consider paying?

Realize this is a widely generic request, but I haven’t been in the AR market since forever and have no recent market experiences.

TIA
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Ideas for ballpark used AR-15 price?

I don't think he's going to find a used AR at a gun show being sold by a private party that will be inexpensive, those selling think that what they have is worth more than or equal to MSRP. They are very proud of their guns.

Colt you're going to pay out the butt. The others you mention can be had for a decent price if someone is looking to get rid of one and is really wanting to get it sold, not selling to make a fist full of dollars. I think he may be better off getting a new one.

He might actually find one on line cheaper than he could get at a gun show, even with the shipping (and many ship for free) and the transfer fee. Check Buds Gun Shop, Grabagun, CheaperThanDirt, CDNN, Kygunco, and others.

I have had at least 20 Ruger ARs come through my shop and they are well built and the flash hider can always be replaced. The Springfield Armory Saint is a pretty nice AR as is the Savage MSR-15 Patrol AR.

Or, help him find the parts and help him build one for himself. That will get him hooked once he shoulders a rifle that HE built.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; September 6th, 2019 at 06:19 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I'm dying to get a colt 9mm SBR. Could have had one for under 1400 brand new

(York County)

Old Bushmaster, and DPMS makes a good value AR as well. I've seen some nice Wyndham Weaponry, but not sure of the reliability.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Montgomery County)

The last few shows I've been to were not even close to competitive with online prices, including shipping and $35 transfer fee. It feels to me that in this market you won't get a particularly good price on any used AR, especially not at a show.

I gotta say, if you want to save money, I think the play is to build. I know people around here don't like them much, but both of my PSA (Palmetto State Armory) ARs that I've put together from their kits run great. The first that I upgrade furniture on is shooting 1.5MOA consistently, and has had one hang up in 1.5k rounds because of a bad primer. The second is consistently 3-4MOA, and has been completely reliable with only steel ammo so far out of it. If he isn't planning on betting his life on it, their rifles have been good to go in my experience, consistently. Aero also has slightly more expensive, but excellent quality build kits. PSA kits, if you get them on a sale, you can get a flat top with milspec furniture for like $399+transfer, with only basic assembly necessary.

If he's looking for something larger than a carbine, the new-ish Ruger MPR looks fantastic for the money. Recently saw them going for sub-$600. Fairly easy to clamp the barrel and change out the muzzle device if you're not a fan.

Just my two cents. Happy to elaborate on anything if you like
    I just love shooting.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Finally convinced newbie gun buddy to get off his dead ass and buy an AR before the panic sets in/gets worse. He plans on a cash FTF transaction at an upcoming gun show.

I have more ARs than I can shoot but mine are keepers, so I told him to keep his eyes open for an over the counter name-brand AR, such as FN, Colt, S&W, SIG. Not a Ruger fan due to their flash hider.
    Any other “common” readily-found brands he should look for and ballpark price to consider paying?

Realize this is a widely generic request, but I haven’t been in the AR market since forever and have no recent market experiences.

TIA
    Yep, good idea to avoid Frankenbuilds. That said what's the budget? Does he want DI or piston? Does he want to look thru his optic and constantly see the FSB? Me I knock them off and replace the 2 piece handguard with a nice free float with rail. Some good low cost choices are available but you're right to think these deals are probably not going to last forever.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...alite+eagle+15

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...in-30rd-black/

https://www.gunbuyer.com/fn-15-carbi...0-1-36001.html

You also see a lot of deals on the keymods if he doesen't mind the dick/nutsack look

https://gunprime.com/product/springf...3-st916556b-2/

I've had good luck with these:

https://www.smga.com/smith-and-wesso...-ii-556nato-69

Without the FSB

https://www.mrgundealer.com/shop/smi...88866421-29277

This guy has had Colt 6920s on GB for several months now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820026128

Higher end ARs:

https://www.gunbuyer.com/lwrc-ic-di-...cdir5b16e.html

but heck I would get the piston even if it was an older model:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/828543009

I just grabbed a Sig Sauer 516 with the Carbon Fiber (not a fan of the heavy cheese grader tactical handguards anymore) and the 516 is a great rifle.

For a good running list of AR deals tell him to view the Great Deals on Brand name ARs sticky at Akfiles. This link may not work as they are no requiring everyone to continually sign in (my have to register):

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259292

(Allegheny County)

I'm of the buy once cry once category. Even though I bought twice and cried twice.

Figure out what it is your buddy wants/needs out of the gun then have him buy a quality one after doing some research. Gun shows don't beat internet prices even after S/H and transfer.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Columbia County)

I recommend that he save up and buy new, stick with factory built.

To answer your question; look up retail prices for the brands you mentioned. ( not MSRP)
    Use those prices as a maximum baseline. I don't think anyone can give you a real price. That's because
    a few factors that determine a used gun price will be the brand and model, the condition, the age of the gun, approx round count, any modifications.
    Stay away from a seller who justifies a high price because the gun comes with accessories. Often times the accessories are junk and are just added to inflate the price.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Finally convinced newbie gun buddy to get off his dead ass and buy an AR before the panic sets in/gets worse.
    I was discussing this with my co-worker just yesterday... he wants to get an AR. I advised him that AR prices will be good until November 3, 2020, (i.e., contingent on Trump’s re-election).

What is this “panic” that you speak of?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I was discussing this with my co-worker just yesterday... he wants to get an AR. I advised him that AR prices will be good until November 3, 2020, (i.e., contingent on Trump’s re-election).

What is this “panic” that you speak of?
    It all depends what your idea of good is. If that is potentially $50-100 or more higher than today than sure. Reality is prices today are trending up from what they were a few months ago. Rock bottom pricing has taken down excess supply and sellers are now less aggressive. Maybe Black Friday pricing will be better than 4th of July and maybe not. The time to buy is when you have money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast