Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South East of disorder
    Posts
    2,974
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Cheapo .308 Hunting Rifle

    Remington 770. I bought a used one and threw on a scope that was laying around. At 100 yards I can cover a three shot group with a quarter. They can be found under $300.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
    (Carbon County)
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    542571

    Default Re: Cheapo .308 Hunting Rifle

    I lived right on the border of Bucks County for years, and even remember HUNTING in Bucks County for deer with a rifle. No used .308's in Pennsylvania? Who are you kidding. Now you want to take an unscoped rifle hunting before buying a used .308? You probably never even fired a .308 and have built it up in your mind. Go buy one. Heck, buy two (They are cheap, right?) Then buy the cheapest, on sale ammo you can find.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania
    (Susquehanna County)
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    161203

    Default Re: Cheapo .308 Hunting Rifle

    I have experience with two Mossberg Patriots and one Ruger American. They all shoot great but I do prefer the Ruger American. Very accurate out of the box. Itís so accurate itís hard to believe it didnít cost more! No complaints.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sterling, Pennsylvania
    (Wayne County)
    Posts
    5,274
    Rep Power
    21474854

    Default Re: Cheapo .308 Hunting Rifle

    T/C Venture has their version of 5R rifling and I can say itís one accurate rifle. Easy to get the barrel clean without a lot of scrubbing.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quakertown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    4,353
    Rep Power
    21474852

    Default Re: Cheapo .308 Hunting Rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I lived right on the border of Bucks County for years, and even remember HUNTING in Bucks County for deer with a rifle. No used .308's in Pennsylvania? Who are you kidding. Now you want to take an unscoped rifle hunting before buying a used .308? You probably never even fired a .308 and have built it up in your mind. Go buy one. Heck, buy two (They are cheap, right?) Then buy the cheapest, on sale ammo you can find.
    Sorry I missed this awesome and helpful post.

    I've only fired about 2,500 rounds of 7.62x51 through my M1A NM.

    7.5x55 Swiss has very similar ballistics as .308, so you probably don't like that caliber either.

    I was looking at new rifles, as I already replied to your previous helpful post.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South East of disorder
    Posts
    2,974
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Cheapo .308 Hunting Rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Sorry I missed this awesome and helpful post.

    I've only fired about 2,500 rounds of 7.62x51 through my M1A NM.

    7.5x55 Swiss has very similar ballistics as .308, so you probably don't like that caliber either.

    I was looking at new rifles, as I already replied to your previous helpful post.


    Yes that was very insightful, wasn't it? Did you ever find the cheap .308 you were looking for?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quakertown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    4,353
    Rep Power
    21474852

    Default Re: Cheapo .308 Hunting Rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Yes that was very insightful, wasn't it? Did you ever find the cheap .308 you were looking for?
    No, I did take my K31 and didn't see anything worth shooting. Good thing, because my son used my .30-30 scoped Fudd Marlin. I would have only just wounded one with iron sights and a non-Fudd caliber.

    I might just wait for a nice used older Ruger or Rem 700 to cross my path.

    Another reason for my wanting a .308 besides its ballistics, is I have a nice stash of quality surplus ammo.

    It's a shame that NATO never adopted .270.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    POCONO MOUNTAINS, PENNSYLVANIA, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    69
    Posts
    3,124
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Smile Re: Cheapo .308 Hunting Rifle

    Right now about tax season you will find many deer calibers including the .308 up for sale.It happens every year people owe taxes and liquidate firearms at very decent prices.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    altoona, Pennsylvania
    (Blair County)
    Posts
    1,763
    Rep Power
    1511248

    Default Re: Cheapo .308 Hunting Rifle

    I was going to ask why not the Ruger American, Have seen them for 349ish$
    Good trigger, light, I dont have a 308, but have a 450bm and a 243 that are sub 1 moa.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Sunday Hunting Poll. PA Senator Gene Yaws.
    By PAwhitetailbowhunter in forum Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 1st, 2018, 02:38 PM
  2. Cheapo .25 pistols
    By CEgunguy in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
  3. Hunting poll on local news
    By normanvin in forum Hunting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 3rd, 2008, 01:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops