Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Cheapo .308 Hunting Rifle

Look at the Ruger American. As a gunsmith who has handled them all, the Ruger is the best of the inexpensive rifles.
    JC Blauvelt Gunsmith,Inc. JCBgunsmith.com

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JC Blauvelt View Post
    Look at the Ruger American. As a gunsmith who has handled them all, the Ruger is the best of the inexpensive rifles.
    I was looking at those too. The stock seemed a bit cheesy but they all are on sub $300 bolt guns.

Accuracy and not breaking are my biggest buying points.

(Carbon County)

Why buy new? There are thousands of used .308's out there. I was never a fan of the .308 and think I am down to two I can hunt with in PA, both lever actions. Most hunting rifles are "New" if you consider how few rounds were shot through them.

(Erie County)

the Rem 700 adl can be found for less than 450 new.

(Bucks County)

No recommendation but if you are in Bucks you should check with Tanners. They had the Compass for $250 about a month ago. I also remember a sale on the Axis and thinking it was a great price but that was a while ago.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Why buy new? There are thousands of used .308's out there. I was never a fan of the .308 and think I am down to two I can hunt with in PA, both lever actions. Most hunting rifles are "New" if you consider how few rounds were shot through them.
    Because you can spend less and get more accuracy.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    This is PA. They are mostly chambered in .243, .270, 7mm-08, and .30-06.

I want a .308, and what Raxar said. Don't get me wrong, if I come across a mint older .308 BDL, I'll be all over it.

The more I read about the Mossberg, the more I like it. The walnut stock model is just over $400. I do prefer wood over synthetic. Besides the fact that synthetic is superior in every possible way.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    This is PA. They are mostly chambered in .243, .270, 7mm-08, and .30-06.

I want a .308, and what Raxar said. Don't get me wrong, if I come across a mint older .308 BDL, I'll be all over it.

The more I read about the Mossberg, the more I like it. The walnut stock model is just over $400. I do prefer wood over synthetic. Besides the fact that synthetic is superior in every possible way.
    Of the ones listed I prefer the mossberg because its the most like a "real" rifle. I have never been a fan of the "tube guns" like the axis or the compass because they look like they were made to pinch pennies, with absolutely no attempt to hide it. The compass is probably the best value of the lot because it comes with a threaded muzzle.

Of the ones mentioned on the list, I agree with John, on the Ruger American. But, if you can swing another $100 bucks, I would recommend you buy the Remington 700. I think Walmart had them for $350. (Synthetic stock - ADL version). Otherwise like Gunplummer said; look around for a used 308, and like ItchyTick said; a Remington 700.
    No knock on the other guns:
    Savage has been making great accurate rifles for a long time, the only reason I wouldn't recommend the Axis, is because I've seen one that was returned because it's stock snapped at the wrist.
    I usually wouldn't recommend Ruger bolt rifles (even tho I have a few), because they always seems to string shots, but the Ruger American seems to be an exception.
    I have no personal experience with the TC Compass, so won't make a recommendation on it.
    While I also don't have any personal experience with the Mossberg Patriot, I like the idea of the detachable box magazine. But as the "Hunting Gear Guy" said in his review: "The Mossberg Patriot is a perfectly usable hunting rifle. The trigger is excellent, it has a good safety, the buttpad is soft and soaks up recoil, and it has an easy to use bolt release. It also comes with some superfluous features like a fluted barrel and a spiral cut bolt, which I don’t really need in a basic bolt action hunting rifle but some people might like it. The magazine sets a new low for quality: being the cheapest, crappiest feeling rifle magazine I’ve owned by a long shot. When you take it all into account, I think I’d rather have a Patriot over a Remington 783 and definitely over a Remington 770, but I’d probably pick up a Savage Axis or Ruger American before any of them. Ultimately, the budget bolt action rifle category has good competition, and an OK entry needs more to differentiate itself. But hey, if the price is right and I got it on sale, I’d still pick up a Mossberg Patriot."
    Last edited by OldSchoolRanger; September 20th, 2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: left out quote

(Bucks County)

Thanks for all the input fellas.

I think I'm just gonna use my K31 this year and wait on getting a .308 bolt gun. I'd like to take a deer with iron sights while I'm still able to.

I actually found some 7.5x55 soft point Hornyday ammo at Cabela's of all places. It seems to be unobtanium right now besides Privi Partisan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast