Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Metal Gun Carry - Rust

Hello,

I think I've been a little too OCD with my firearms, so I wanted to reach out to others in the area and get your thoughts.

Right now I have a few "metal" guns in my safe that I would like to start carrying. However, I'm a little worried about rust. My wife picks on me because even time I take out one of the guns, I wipe it down with an oily rag.

I've been carrying a G19, XD and VP9 for the last 5+ years and never really carried my metal guns. My question is. If I start carrying one of them daily, how urgent would it be to wipe it down every day? How quick does rust form? With my plastic guns, I just maintain them once a week. Would that be enough?

Thank You

(Berks County)

Default Re: Metal Gun Carry - Rust

Everyone is different when talking about their body chemistry and it’s effects on guns. You also must keep in mind the climate you are carrying in. If you sweat a lot or it’s raining or just humid as all get out, well that’s conditions that might rust a gun before the day is done.

Glocks are tennifer over stainless steel and that combo is hard to beat. Blued guns will show holster wear rather quickly. They also will rust rather quickly and you will find out if your finger prints are acidic or not.

Just your hands will eventually turn blueing into gray gun metal if you shoot it enough. If you are going to carry it, you should be shooting that much.

This brings up a few considerations. If you like safe queens, there is nothing wrong with that. Just buy a second for carry. The carry gun should be one that you don’t mind being held in an evidence locker. You don’t need thoughts of scratched guns going through your head at a time when survival should be on your mind. Besides, all those training classes should have popped the cherry on that finish.

Back to your immediate question, I’d recommend a nightly wipe down and a look to see if more attention is required.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RPDStars View Post
    Hello,

I think I've been a little too OCD with my firearms, so I wanted to reach out to others in the area and get your thoughts.

Right now I have a few "metal" guns in my safe that I would like to start carrying. However, I'm a little worried about rust. My wife picks on me because even time I take out one of the guns, I wipe it down with an oily rag.

I've been carrying a G19, XD and VP9 for the last 5+ years and never really carried my metal guns. My question is. If I start carrying one of them daily, how urgent would it be to wipe it down every day? How quick does rust form? With my plastic guns, I just maintain them once a week. Would that be enough?

Thank You
    Once a week should be fine.
    If it's not, you will notice eventually.
    Carry guns are tools, and all used tools show some wear and require some maintenance.
    As long as you pay attention, your routine should adjust naturally as your needs become apparent.

----------------

Welcome to the PAFOA.

We need every gun owner to help protect our gun rights by voting pro gun in every election every year.
    Please make sure you are registered to vote here: https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/P...plication.aspx
    Pro gun voter guides are posted in PAFOA before every election here: http://forum.pafoa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Please also join the National Rifle Association (NRA) and Gun Owners of America (GOA) to help protect your Second Amendment right to own a gun.
    Join NRA here: https://home.nra.org/
    Join GOA here: https://gunowners.org/

Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Delaware County)

I'm not all that concerned what she looks like as long as she shoots when the time comes. My carry gun and match gun both have a haze on the slide. Some scotchbrite and CLP once in a while to prevent pitting on the slide and I'm good, as long as the internals are good to go.

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...

I have a good grade natural bristle 1 1/2" paint brush that I apply CLP/oil to firearms with. Once a week, or more if it's very humid, on my carry gun is enough for mine. YMMV. The brush gets into grooves & crevices better than a rag, and after a few uses the bristles have absorbed enough oil that one drop of clp will do an entire gun, and sometimes none at all.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

I had this problem come up just a few weeks ago myself when it was hot outside. I was pocket carrying my Kahr and the sweat soaked through my pants and I didn't think much about it. After just a couple of days it caused rusting spots on the slide, even on the brass of the ammo (?!) in the spare mag. I take it I'll have to keep oiling this now forever since those spots in the finish are now weakened? Or what else to do?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    I had this problem come up just a few weeks ago myself when it was hot outside. I was pocket carrying my Kahr and the sweat soaked through my pants and I didn't think much about it. After just a couple of days it caused rusting spots on the slide, even on the brass of the ammo (?!) in the spare mag. I take it I'll have to keep oiling this now forever since those spots in the finish are now weakened? Or what else to do?
    Keeping the gun and mag in a leather holster and pouch may help protect them from humidity and sweat.
    Surface rust is easily remedied with a good spray of CLP wrapped overnight in a CLP infused rag and then wiped down in the morning.
    Doing this regularly or as needed will generally solve the problem.
    Change out the carry ammo and use it at the range.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

I used to worry about this until seeing some WW2 guns which were carried throughout the jungles for years. 75 years on they look fine! People worry far too much about this IMO.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Susquehanna County)

Carry your metal guns all you want. Some say leather holsters absorb water from the air and sweat, so use kydex if you worry about it. After the day's carry you're going to unload and clear the pistol anyhow, wipe it down with one of those nice silicone cloths.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    I used to worry about this until seeing some WW2 guns which were carried throughout the jungles for years. 75 years on they look fine! People worry far too much about this IMO.
    Agreed,
    I have a smith model 36 which was daily carried for 30+ years and it always rusty, But when you actually clean it up Its looks pretty good and really isn't rusty, Worry about moisture and ammo more than rusty guns,
    My HK PSP will get rust in a day,
    Who cares?
    It will shoot just fine,
    Enjoy your steel,
    If you can't take the rust,
    Keep carrying your Glock!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast