Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Metal Gun Carry - Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy View Post
    Abner - always wondered why the fancy SD rounds were plated. TIL.

OP, there are some metal framed guns that are aluminum. The cz pcr/p-01 is, still hefty at just shy of 2 lbs loaded but packs 14+1 with a 3.75" barrel. I believe some sigs are aluminum as well, and the new arex pistols.
    AFAIK , nickel-plated cartridge cases came to because police officers used to carry their extra .38 special rounds in leather loops on their gun belts. Plain brass would corrode in the leather. That's supposedly why the majority of .38 special and .357 mag ammo was plated.
    Back during the Spanish-American and Philippine wars , US service rounds were tin plated to prevent corrosion in the damp humid climate.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy View Post
    Abner - always wondered why the fancy SD rounds were plated. TIL.

OP, there are some metal framed guns that are aluminum. The cz pcr/p-01 is, still hefty at just shy of 2 lbs loaded but packs 14+1 with a 3.75" barrel. I believe some sigs are aluminum as well, and the new arex pistols.
    The original Sig's have aluminium frames and a folded carbon steel slide. The next gen had stainless slides and aluminium frames. Some Sig's have stainless frames and slides. Now they've jumped on the bandwagon and are producing striker fired tupperware for the manbun's and bean counters.

If you carry everyday like I do you have to maintain the gun, magazines and ammo. I get fuzz balls in the barrel, around the trigger and along the slide on the gun after carrying for about a month because I carry inside the waistband with a t-shirt or tank top between me and the holster/gun. You need to pull it out the holster unload it clean it and check the mags too. Rotate the ammo and check them before loading it back up. It's a mechanical implement and has to be maintained in order for it to work as intended. I read where people won't buy this gun or that gun because of reliability issues and wouldn't depend on them to protect their lives but then read they don't clean and maintain their carry piece. Doesn't make any sense to me.

As far as blued steel goes I always used the Birchwood Casey Sheath now called Barricade. After years of carrying a blued 1911 and using it on all my blued hunting shotguns it has proven the test of time to me. It protects against sweat and fingerprints on the blued steel. After years of hunting pheasants, doves and such sweating while tromping through cover the now Birchwood Casey Barricade is the only choice for blued steel for me. Smells good too.
    Last edited by JenniferG; October 6th, 2019 at 03:49 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The original Sig's have aluminium frames and a folded carbon steel slide. The next gen had stainless slides and aluminium frames.
    IIRC, the W.German made pistols had the formed slides and the US made slides were machined from solid steel.

(Chester County)

I wipe down my off duty gun with a microfiber towel in some light gun oil every time I take it off my body. I haven’t had any rust issues, but it usually cleans off more “kydex dust” (kydex dust made from sights or other controls rubbing against inside the holster) than anything else. I know it is blasphemy to some, but I am not a big fan of leather.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    IIRC, the W.German made pistols had the formed slides and the US made slides were machined from solid steel.
    Yeah, those are the folded steel slides like on the original Browning BDA and P220's. The US slides are the machined stainless. I have a stainless frame P220 made in W.Germany with a stainless USA slide. There was a P226 of the same type made from 2008-2011/12 but I could not get my hands on one.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I wipe down my off duty gun with a microfiber towel in some light gun oil every time I take it off my body. I haven’t had any rust issues, but it usually cleans off more “kydex dust” (kydex dust made from sights or other controls rubbing against inside the holster) than anything else. I know it is blasphemy to some, but I am not a big fan of leather.
    I'm done with leather too. A inside the waistband kydex is the only way to go for me now. I do however have an outside the waistband Blackpoint kydex holster that has leather wings on it to flex a bit that I really like. The problem with leather on a IWB is if you draw the pistol the leather collapses and is near impossible to re-insert the pistol without taking the holster out of the waistband inserting the pistol and then having to put the whole rig back in place. With kydex it's holds it's shape and it's easy to re-insert the pistol without removing from waistband. Leather IWB makes it too hard practicing drawing the pistol. I carry just behind the hip at about 3:45 to 4 o'clock. Appendix carry doesn't work for me.

I get the fuzz balls in my carry piece because I have to have the barrier between the kydex and my skin now with a t-shirt or tank top. I use a cover garment like a button down shirt untucked, a vest or a light jacket.
    Last edited by JenniferG; October 6th, 2019 at 04:47 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Seriously, is this a thing?
    It was for my Dad a policeman who's duty weapon was a revolver, who just happened to have 2 very curious boys in the house. His routine was to unload the revolver and lock his handcuffs through the cylinder window. In the 1950s there wasn't much available in the way of gun safes etc. For home protection he depended on a .410 shotgun with medium sized shot.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Nothing wrong with a quality leather holster. I have several Bianchi #5BHL thumb-break holsters , all with suede lining. I sprayed (saturated) the suede lining with food-grade silicone spray when new , reapplying every year or so , that way it won't absorb any moisture and makes for a slick draw. Never had a rust problem where suede meets steel , even during long term storage in the holsters. (Yeah , I know , but ya can't argue with success.)

Some of the tanning chemicals used in older , cheaper holsters was corrosive all on it's own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123