Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Metal Gun Carry - Rust

Wax like renaissance is a good shield against rust.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Carry your metal guns all you want. Some say leather holsters absorb water from the air and sweat, so use kydex if you worry about it. After the day's carry you're going to unload and clear the pistol anyhow, wipe it down with one of those nice silicone cloths.
    Seriously, is this a thing?
    My carry guns stay loaded. They all sit in a small safe, ready to fight, except the one that is within arms reach as I sleep. I only unload to clean them. Rifles, shotguns, and safe queens all get unloaded, and stored in the big safe.
    Something to check if you are unloading and reloading every day: take the round you ejected , and stand it next to a factory fresh round. Are they the same height? Constant loading, and unloading can ram that bullet deeper into the case. Then, when you NEED that round to fire, you squeeze the trigger and the shot sounds funny, and you are stuck using a gun-shaped hammer to defend yourself with.

(Delaware County)

Things that are actually used show wear. Wipe it down nightly. Dry it out if it gets rained on or immersed. Don’t obsess over scratches, dings and speckles. Comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    My carry guns stay loaded. They all sit in a small safe, ready to fight, except the one that is within arms reach as I sleep. I only unload to clean them. Rifles, shotguns, and safe queens all get unloaded, and stored in the big safe.
    Something to check if you are unloading and reloading every day: take the round you ejected , and stand it next to a factory fresh round. Are they the same height? Constant loading, and unloading can ram that bullet deeper into the case. Then, when you NEED that round to fire, you squeeze the trigger and the shot sounds funny, and you are stuck using a gun-shaped hammer to defend yourself with.
    When I first started carrying, I'd unchamber the round when I put it away every night. I did notice setback and case markings, so I started rotating rounds...and if I chambered one a couple of times, I'd make sure I used it at the range.

Too much work. I just leave it chambered now. When I get to the range, I'll use up my carry mag and put fresh in...but no more unchambering and rechambering. Not good for the ammo or my time.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Things that are actually used show wear. Wipe it down nightly. Dry it out if it gets rained on or immersed. Don’t obsess over scratches, dings and speckles. Comes with the territory.
    Exactly,

I take care of my guns but my carry guns will show wear, my skeet gun has nicks from shards (so does my arm and face). I don't obsess, instead I consider them character marks. The sign of a gun well cared for and used.

Consider Stevie Ray Vaughan's number one, people pay big bucks for a copy of a guitar that was rode hard and put away wet.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(Indiana County)

I carry almost exclusively steel guns with a Shield as an occasional thing, and I've never had a rusting issue. I have a friend who carries an FN45, and it has surface wear, body chemistry and how much you actually sweat are major factors, but I wouldn't worry too much about it doing anything bad unless you just start totally neglecting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    +1 to this post. My guns are rarely cleaned unless they have been used.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

For over 20yrs , I carried my slicked-up OMC Back-Up .380 with a minimal amount of maintenance being it was all stainless steel. Occasionally I would go out back and fire off the rounds in it just to maintain my confidence. Eventually I did learn an important lesson about carrying a pistol without cleaning at least occasionally. A plain brass cartridge case in the chamber got so corroded *, it actually caused a jam. The rounds in the mag had some verdigris too. Now I carry nothing but nickel-plated ammo.

* Galvanic corrosion! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Monroe County)

I check mine once a month and run a patch though it and change mags.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

Abner - always wondered why the fancy SD rounds were plated. TIL.

OP, there are some metal framed guns that are aluminum. The cz pcr/p-01 is, still hefty at just shy of 2 lbs loaded but packs 14+1 with a 3.75" barrel. I believe some sigs are aluminum as well, and the new arex pistols.
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast