Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default 327 federal magnum

I'm using a cast lee 100 grain round nose bullet, powder coated and sized to .312. My primer is small rifle, and powder is h110. Does anyone have experience with this combination? What can I expect with accuracy and velocity?

The gun is a 3" sp101.
    Thanks for any help and guidance, as this is a new caliber for me.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: 327 federal magnum

The very first question I'd ask is why the small RIFLE primer? I could understand small PISTOL magnum or small pistol, but rifle primers usually have thicker cups and are harder to light off with pistol hammers or strikers.
    Hodgdon Reloading data doesn't offer a recipe for a 100 gr, cast bullet so where are you drawing your data from?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    The very first question I'd ask is why the small RIFLE primer? I could understand small PISTOL magnum or small pistol, but rifle primers usually have thicker cups and are harder to light off with pistol hammers or strikers.
    Hodgdon Reloading data doesn't offer a recipe for a 100 gr, cast bullet so where are you drawing your data from?
    Ditto the small rifle primer question, but Hodgdon does have that data for jacketed on their website, and you can use jacketed data if the bullets are powder coated.

(Cumberland County)

I have looked at hodgdon data, and as there is no cast data with this combo, that is why I asked my question.
    327 FEDERAL runs at 45,000 psi, so use of a small rifle primer is warranted when running upper end levels.

(Clarion County)

FYI, this article does not mention your specific combination but does have cast data for a 97 gr. Keith swc with H110.
    https://loaddata.com/articles/PDF/LD...arce%20LR1.pdf
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Susquehanna County)

psweigle, I hope you take a look at the data Cephas references. It seems very comprehensive and offers data for both cast and jacketed bullets using many different powders. THE ONE THING it DOES NOT do is recommend use of small rifle primers. Primers used were CCI 500 (standard small pistol) or CCI 550 (Magnum Small Pistol) or Federal 100 (standard small pistol).

(Bucks County)

I would use magnum Pistol primers if you are using H110 since H-110 needs a good spark to ignite properly. And H110 (W296) likes to be loaded to max. It needs pressure to burn correctly and reduced loads often give erratic ignition, big swings in velocity and generally poor performance. Older reloading book had a special warning that starting loads should be Max-3% (not 10% like most powders). Interestingly that warning has been forgotten and the newer books give wimpy loads with a large powder range and their max usually well under the old safe loading.

(Cumberland County)

As 327 federal runs at 45000 psi, wouldn't a small pistol magnum primer pierce at those pressures? American eagle uses small rifle primers in their factory ammo.im pretty sure the 100 grain jacketed soft point ammo they make is the hottest 327 ammo available. All of the published reloading data is shown with the use of small pistol magnum primers, which tells me that it isnt hitting the top end of performance. If it were, they too would NEED a small rifle primer.

This little 32 caliber round is a real beast and I would like to capitalize on its very high pressure. Thanks for all of your advice.

(Susquehanna County)

I'm really curious about WHERE you got tidbit of information. Articles I found regarding the .327 say Federal uses their #200 small pistol magnum for factory loads (AE is a subsidiary of Federal) and I really don't believe you'll have trouble with primers being pierced.