Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default AR(pistol) shoots right

I put together an AR pistol in .300 BLK, using a 8.5 inch PSA upper. Function' fit and finish all see fine. I am sighting it in using just basic iron sights and that is what I plan to keep on it. At 50 yards it hits about a foot right. I have to adjust the rear sight almost all the way to the left for it to hit where I aim. That being said it is very accurate.

It is kind of odd looking, but I don't necessarily mind it. My question is what could be causing this? I'm shooting 200 grain ammo...which I figure might throw it off some but not that much. I'm guessing it could be a lot of issues, barrel bored slightly off, rail or sights off enough to matter but not enough to see visibly? I'm not sure. Would there anything be wrong that can cause damage or looseness later?

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this since it is technically a pistol but is used like a rifle.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: AR(pistol) shoots right

I'd try bore sighting to confirm a issue with the firearm itself. My personal thought lean towards a recoil generated issue.

(Allegheny County)

I have the same problem with a 10.5 psa upper but it shoots left. I am sending it back to get corrected. I put a dot on it and it hits where i aim but it annoys me.

give em a call, get a rma and send it back.

(Allegheny County)

Your FSB or rail (or whatever your front sight is on) might be twisted off center to the left.

(Allegheny County)

PSA is known for FSB cant issues. Before you send it back, rest the pistol and verify whether it's you or the sights. The very short sighting plane of a AR pistol can amplify a "shooter" issue (especially at 50 yards).
    Last edited by Hawk; September 2nd, 2019 at 10:19 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    PSA is known for FSB cant issues. Before you send it back, rest the pistol and verify whether it's you or the sights. The very short sighting plane of a AR pistol can amplify a "shooter" issue (especially at 50 yards).

This has just a rail, so the sights are mounted on it. I don't think it is me as the same day I fired this I shot other rifles with no issues. When I bore sighted(looking down the bore and centering a target in the center of the bore) the sights match up how they are now, pushed all the way to the left. That seems to suggest something is off, I'm just not sure what exactly. Again, if this won't hurt function now or in the future I'm fine leaving it like this.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    This has just a rail, so the sights are mounted on it. I don't think it is me as the same day I fired this I shot other rifles with no issues. When I bore sighted(looking down the bore and centering a target in the center of the bore) the sights match up how they are now, pushed all the way to the left. That seems to suggest something is off, I'm just not sure what exactly. Again, if this won't hurt function now or in the future I'm fine leaving it like this.
    So you have both the front and rear sights mounted on the rail of the upper? Or do you have a rail extending down the front handguard?
    Toujours prêt

(Beaver County)

Another possibility is the receiver is not true to the barrel extension. I have seen some pretty bad ones but usually from no name or bottom dollar manufacturers/resellers. This is a reason why people lap the upper.