Hello all,

I am curious of who would be in legal trouble in this scenario:

On my 21st birthday I was gifted a handgun from my mom. I am aware it does not to be registered to me if it's a transfer from my mom.
What I just found out 5 years later today, is that it was never registered to my mom. She bought it from her now ex boyfriend who is a gun collector, directly. I have tried contacting him to transfer it into my name but there is always an excuse of why he's busy and can't meet. (The gun was never used in a crime or anything like that. Hes a big time collector who does this as a side job, and is just super lazy).

I never take this gun out to a range or anything because I'm concerned of the legality. It sits at home as just a home defense handgun. (Kimber 1911). My question is, if there were ever a home invasion, and I used the firearm in a self defense case, and say the castle doctrine took effect and i was deemed okay to use deadly force-- do i still get charged for possessing an illegal firearm? Or does my mom's ex boyfriend get in trouble for illegally selling it to my mom, or does my mom get in trouble for buying it and giving it to me with ignorance of the law?

Either way I'm going to keep hounding this guy about meeting at a gun shop to get it transferred, but right now I'm paranoid about having it as I live in a bit of a rough neighborhood where a break in wouldn't be breaking news. I don't want to go to jail in that event due to the firearm not being registered to me.