Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Any member familiar with night vision optics?

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    The big issues I can see screwing them up actually is buffing out the lens with your t shirt and scratching the hell out of it. The other thing that can be a problem is the rhino mounts.
    And even then, used front glass and the bill to have someone switch it out and nitrogen purge the PVS-14 isn’t much money.

Definitely need to spend the money on a good mount for durability and minimizing movement. Rhino arm is too wiggly for most.

Also, when I ran a bayonet mount interface I always attached a retractable tether to my helmet in case it popped out. Now I just rock the bungees with the dove tail mount.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    And even then, used front glass and the bill to have someone switch it out and nitrogen purge the PVS-14 isn’t much money.

Definitely need to spend the money on a good mount for durability and minimizing movement. Rhino arm is too wiggly for most.

Also, when I ran a bayonet mount interface I always attached a retractable tether to my helmet in case it popped out. Now I just rock the bungees with the dove tail mount.
    I haven't looked but I imagine there is probably a company out there that will refurb PVS-14s.

I think the reason the Rhino arm is flimsy is to keep weight down and in service they will get smashed up and broken so it's an easy cheap fix to get another.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I haven't looked but I imagine there is probably a company out there that will refurb PVS-14s.
    Oh yea, there is basically a cottage industry of NVD assemblers out there, some brand new on the scene and some have been around quite awhile. I have used Night Vision Inc and my friend just utilized Steele Industries.

(Lehigh County)

My thanks yet again...to all for coming through with a wealth of info. I have a lot of reading to do! Definitely won't be cheap.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Plain Old Bill View Post
    My thanks yet again...to all for coming through with a wealth of info. I have a lot of reading to do! Definitely won't be cheap.
    It's kind of like buying a car.

If you have the cash, you can walk into any reputable dealership and buy a new car for full price, spend a lot of money, and feel reasonably sure it will be a decent product.
    In the unlikely event you get a lemon, it's covered by all the applicable warranties and you can have it repaired or replaced.

If you don't have the cash then you can buy used from all kinds of places that sell used cars.
    If you don't do any research and just buy a used car from whomever, you may get lucky, but most people would recommend doing a lot of research before taking the gamble.

I look at it this way.

If I have the cash for a new car I spend it, and I sleep easier knowing the car will do what I need it to do, when I need it to do it, for as long as I expect it to do it.
    If I don't have the cash and I need to buy used, I don't do myself any favors by wasting my money on something that craps out on me.

Losing my cash is going to hurt me just as much at half price as it does at full price, if half price is all the cash I have.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    It's kind of like buying a car.

If you have the cash, you can walk into any reputable dealership and buy a new car for full price, spend a lot of money, and feel reasonably sure it will be a decent product.
    In the unlikely event you get a lemon, it's covered by all the applicable warranties and you can have it repaired or replaced.
    Also, like buying new from a car dealer, TNVC offers financing on their new equipment sales! I don't think the rate is anything great.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123