Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Dove Hunting-School Me

Yeah well yet another of my idiotic question threads. So, may want to give it a go because I already have what I need, I think. Rem 870 with modified choke. I figger #8 shell with 1oz shot. I saw a great recipe for breast with jalapenos, bacon and cheese on the grill, seems easy to me. And I have a good attitude.

Thinking Blue Marsh as the stock there.

Fill in the many blanks that I may have missed. Like, how do I log them around because I know I will have mad success so need to keep them cool in the field while I destroy my 15 limit hopefully in mere minutes, but just in case!!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Perry County)

Default Re: Dove Hunting-School Me

I always pulled the breast off as soon as they were down and tossed the rest. Given that good shooting lasts maybe an hour, I was never concerned with keeping them cool. You'll want no less than three boxes of shells if you hope to get your limit. Most important is finding a flyway. I miss dove hunting but I haven't found a decent flyway since I moved away from Lebanon. The doves would come out of the cornfield in the evening to roost on the grounds of the VA. Those evenings are some of the best memories I have of hunting. Literally not being able to load the gun fast enough to keep up with the action.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

figure a box of shells for each dove😁

(Berks County)

Ha ha I get it. there are actually 2 managed areas within a few miles of my house so that helps. Umm, so lead them a little but what about all the shot that I have to pick out? Am I overthinking here?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Ha ha I get it. there are actually 2 managed areas within a few miles of my house so that helps. Umm, so lead them a little but what about all the shot that I have to pick out? Am I overthinking here?
    Dove shooting will humble you. It's nothing like shooting clay birds or pheasants. It will be rare that you'll get a solid hit that fills them with lead. Usually it's few bbs in a wing or a bb in the head. If you get a solid shot close in, you may be better off leaving it for scavengers because there won't be much left for you.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

On hot days I would bring a small cooler with some ice. Its to put your uncleaned doves in it and it is also your seat.

When home I skin out the breast and quickly marinate them in a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. A little rosemary or thyme is good too. Other spices you like can work too but keep it simple. I would avoid jalapenos, bacon and cheese. They are not needed and doves taste great without having to cover anything up. Use them for your burgers. Grill the breasts over charcoal with some wood chips till they are just medium rare. If you go higher they are dry and taste like liver.

For a real treat cook some hamburgers on the grill while you are cooking the doves (you usually don't have enough doves to feed everyone anyway). They take about the same time and the grease/smoke from the burgers flavors the doves. As long as you keep the doves on the rarer side they taste just like an aged filet mignon. Even picky eaters will love them.

Love them breasts ! Quail was my favorite now I get the quail at Shoneys restaurant buffet when traveling south .

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I miss dove hunting but I haven't found a decent flyway since I moved away from Lebanon. The doves would come out of the cornfield in the evening to roost on the grounds of the VA. Those evenings are some of the best memories I have of hunting. Literally not being able to load the gun fast enough to keep up with the action.
    Across the road from Shyda's gun shop.

(York County)

Damn now I'm hungry for doves
    Every day's a Saturday

Doves are just white pigeons.

Last edited by abner13; August 28th, 2019 at 08:04 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast