Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Truck Deer Stand?

I used to have the Huntingdon County office on speed dial ...and would even stop in while in the Raystown area .. and after 20 plus years of calling and asking things .....
    I have easily learned .... you NEVER take what the person on the phone tells you as gospel.
    Call 3 different times and you'll get 5 different answers.
    Ask the bunny cop ..... then see if they will put it in writing ........ does not guarantee you anything but if you need to fight anything shows your good faith intent.
    I forget the title but they do have a ....."legal training type officer" ...he teaches legal things to the bunny cops or whatever.... if you can reach him .... ask him ..... and then ask for it in writing
    ... FWIW , I have been giving the green light time and again on things ......... depending on what day it was ....... never have I got anything in writing ......they would never do it for whatever reason

(Bucks County)

IRS has a similar MO....advice/explanations/answers given by a representative cannot be used against the IRS should it be proved wrong.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    IRS has a similar MO....advice/explanations/answers given by a representative cannot be used against the IRS should it be proved wrong.
    And ain't that something.
    Bunny cops used to hate to see me coming..... I never "did not" have a question.
    Want to have some fun ...... ask them about using a turkey call for hunting coyotes.......
    Every year guys kill dogs in the spring that come in to their turkey call ....... it's legal to call in dogs ....... can I use a turkey call to do it?
    Even more fun than that ...... I promise ...... ask them what makes a semi auto now legally converted to manual operation so you can hunt with it ........
    Of course "Why?" is always their first question ....... I even had one call me an asshole and all I did ..... I promise ....was to apply HIS standard ...... and he didn't like that
    Fun for sure .... but very frustrating when you are trying to follow the law and get a freakin answer about something.....
    And full disclosure ..... I took my hunters ed in public school in the 5th grade ..... and bought into the whole SPORT program.
    I used to be a staunch supporter over many years of the bunny cops ........ but they brought a lot of things upon themselves.....
    going to put the soap box away ........ sorry for the hijack

(Berks County)

Well, I called local and Hbg PAGC 3 times, left messages and bunny cops never returned calls. Another dispatcher told me to remove the distributor cap or disconnect the battery (which is dead anyway). If any of you talk to a warden, please ask 'em. If they can show the law, all the better, because I'm getting nothing official.

(Huntingdon County)

The question is interesting. Call them and ask directly, they don’t take money for demand, and so you will be calm and know your rights.

(Berks County)

I called and there was never a game warden available, so I had to leave a message and wait for a return call that never came. My guess is that hunting from a vehicle is always illegal because all of those vehicles were viable, self-propelled, and operational. Which is not the case in this situation. So I'm thinking they don't know the answer to the question. Any Game Wardens on here?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    I called and there was never a game warden available, so I had to leave a message and wait for a return call that never came. My guess is that hunting from a vehicle is always illegal because all of those vehicles were viable, self-propelled, and operational. Which is not the case in this situation. So I'm thinking they don't know the answer to the question. Any Game Wardens on here?
    Not true. People with certain handicaps can hunt from a vehicle. Sadly it really comes as no surprise that you never got a return call from a government agency. It happens all the time.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's clearly a non functioning vehicle, and there is no battery it would take a real douche to say you were hunting from a vehicle. You're not trying to skirt any laws. As mentioned I would remove the battery and plug wires or something else obvious and forget about it. I think it's a good idea.

(Bucks County)

You could probably hunt from it, but don't dare lean your rifle against it.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Not true. People with certain handicaps can hunt from a vehicle. Sadly it really comes as no surprise that you never got a return call from a government agency. It happens all the time.
    I know about handicap licenses. What I meant was that their income generating encounters were with a "living" vehicles, from illegally hunting, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12