Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Expiration date on pepper spray

Most of us here understand the worth of having a firearm in the home in case you ever need it. They are good for self defense. The brand, type of gun etc...... doesn’t matter much in an emergency as long as it works when you need it.

In addition to a firearm, pepper spray is a compliment that can be useful. I keep a can of it on hanging above the front door in case a family member answers the door and someone tries to force their way in. The mace is hanging right there and my wife, son or myself can easily and quickly grab it.

I looked at the can today and saw that it expired two years ago. Poor attention on my part. I bought another can tonight and hung it up. I took the old can out back to spray it and see if it still worked.

And got nothing...... not even a pfffffttttt. If it was needed it would have been worthless. So just a heads up. If you use pepper spray in any capacity check the expiration date. Unlike some expiration dates on products, it’s not a suggestion. Paying attention to the date could be the difference between it working when you need it or going “oh shit” when you try to spray it.
    Last edited by internet troll; August 24th, 2019 at 10:43 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Expiration date on pepper spray

I was expecting you to say it worked fine.
    I wonder what happened that the aerosol leaked away.

Pepper spray won't go bad. However the aerosol can and will eventually leak out. I recommend if you do carry pepper spray to test it once in a while. Give it a short spritz in a safe direction to see if your can still has pressure.

As for the to spray itself it will stay just as hot as the day it was made...
    I have a few good old cans past date. I also know of cops taking their old expired cans and using them on ground hog holes.

As long as your can is under pressure your good to go
    Last edited by Bug44; August 25th, 2019 at 02:13 AM.
    ΑΣΦ

(Berks County)

Amazon has refillable aerosol cans. 26 bucks. 90psi.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Amazon has refillable aerosol cans. 26 bucks. 90psi.
    And you get bulk liquid pepper spray from....?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Most of us here understand the worth of having a firearm in the home in case you ever need it. They are good for self defense. The brand, type of gun etc...... doesn’t matter much in an emergency as long as it works when you need it.

In addition to a firearm, pepper spray is a compliment that can be useful. I keep a can of it on hanging above the front door in case a family member answers the door and someone tries to force their way in. The mace is hanging right there and my wife, son or myself can easily and quickly grab it.

I looked at the can today and saw that it expired two years ago. Poor attention on my part. I bought another can tonight and hung it up. I took the old can out back to spray it and see if it still worked.

And got nothing...... not even a pfffffttttt. If it was needed it would have been worthless. So just a heads up. If you use pepper spray in any capacity check the expiration date. Unlike some expiration dates on products, it’s not a suggestion. Paying attention to the date could be the difference between it working when you need it or going “oh shit” when you try to spray it.
    Good post, good reminder.

All pepper spray should be replaced every 2 years for maximum reliability.
    All canned pepper spray will eventually lose pressure over time and become ineffective.

Some cans, like Fox Labs, are marked with the date of manufacture, and others are marked with the date of expiration.
    Always check your stuff and mark your calendar to replace your canisters.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    And you get bulk liquid pepper spray from....?
    Actually, a semi common thing...

https://www.officerstore.com/store/p...ationId=111638

Whether you should trust your safety to a home made doohickey that probably only sprays in certain orientations, probably puts out a weak mist with no range that is probably going to hurt you more than an attacker, and probably won't hold a seal, is another question.

(Berks County)

I wonder if pepper spray works on lantern flies.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    Pepper spray won't go bad. However the aerosol can and will eventually leak out. I recommend if you do carry pepper spray to test it once in a while. Give it a short spritz in a safe direction to see if your can still has pressure.

As for the to spray itself it will stay just as hot as the day it was made...
    I have a few good old cans past date. I also know of cops taking their old expired cans and using them on ground hog holes.

As long as your can is under pressure your good to go
    Yes. I have one with an expiration date of 2008 that still has good pressure.

(Berks County)

For someone to even ask this question tells me that they have not held onto spray paint, PB Blaster, WD-40, hair spray or other aerosols for long periods of time. If an aerosol can is over a year old there is a good chance that there is nothing left there but the stuff you wish you could get out. It has been demonstrated to me that you can re-invigorate leaked out cans with an air compressor and a small needle but I do not have a needle small enough to do it myself.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast