Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Patrol Rifle Course

Looking for a LE patrol rifle instructor certification course in the NE. Seen a few but unable to attend. Just looking to see if there is anything I missed.

(York County)

Default Re: Patrol Rifle Course

Upcoming NRA Patrol Rifle Instructor class in Monroeville, PA. https://le.nra.org/law-enforcement-t...le-instructor/

(York County)

Also, Coatesville, PA in April 2020

(Schuylkill County)

Just a heads up for other LEOs looking to attend any of PSPs firearm courses. PSP is now charging officers to attend. I got my pistol/shotgun instructor from PSP and attended their tactical carbine course without having to pay. Not sure when they started
    To charge, but just wanted to give a heads up.

(Luzerne County)

Yeah, that's definitely something new. Guess they need to work on paying back the $4 Billion dollars they owe PennDOT!

Looks like it's just for their "instructor" courses. Guess they got tired of everyone taking the courses for free instead of having to pay for one's from the NRA, Sig, etc.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; October 29th, 2019 at 03:22 PM.

(York County)

I understand that not having to actually pay for a valuable, lifesaving service, after which you can share lifesaving and fight winning info after, is a tough change...but seriously..... If the intent of the post was just a head's up to start saving a few pennies, or do better at making the person who makes training budget allocations a friend...I hope the squared away young officers say "thank you" and you will adjust course. But if anyone is whining....you better look in the mirror and ask WTF are you doing in this line of work. "Public Service"

(Luzerne County)

No one is whining. I think the person who posted this was just giving an FYI. I have many certifications from other organizations paid for by my department. I also have several from PSP, which were all free to my department. I’ll be doing this job for 21 years come February. I have to work on the officer(s) who will take over my firearm instructor duties.

I guess after all the years of free firearm instructor credentials, they decided to jump on the bandwagon of other entities that issue instructor credentials and start charging.

(York County)

thanks...I get it. forgive my cynicism. too many years of hearing cops whine about "I won't go unless they send me" I get impatient. In my humble opinion, being the best you can be, especially in such an important job as police officer, may and should requite going above and beyond...

(Schuylkill County)

RFlowers, my post was just an FYI. You have to remember there are departments in our Commonwealth who don’t send officers to school due to lack of funding or only send to free trainings. I’m lucky enough to have a department that will send me. To most $300-500 isn’t a lot of cash to shell out for the course but remember that only covers your entry fee. Now you have to try to get off and pay for your ammo. So a person who is working in a smaller department making $20hr now has to spend that on top of supporting their family. Not all departments make great money. That’s why you see some full-time officers working part-time at other agencies. Again I’m lucky to make a decent salary with my department and have them pay for my training. It’s just sad to see PSP now charging. It’s only going to hurt the smaller departments by having them out source a firearms instructor to qualify them which means that they will also most likely suffer when it comes to receiving extra firearms training!

(Luzerne County)

I don't know the reason why PSP is starting to charge for the FI courses. It might be too many municipal departments enjoying the free ride from sending an officer through the course or they just see it as a way to get a little money. I don't know the numbers that go through their FI courses, but it's not like they are going to make a zillion dollars on this. Of my certifications, I have handgun/shotgun and patrol rifle through PSP. I didn't need those certifications, as I already had ones from the NRA LE and NLEFIA. I just took them to add to my credentials, to experience other courses and to meet the NRA requirement of continuing education.

I just qualified several officers from a neighboring department on their patrol rifles because they do no have an instructor certified in patrol rifles. Nothing is free any more, so those departments are now going to have to spend a little money to send their officers to instructor school. At least it's a one and done type of certification, not like the NRA that requires renewal every three years with proof of on going training. An instructor should always seek out more training which is why I usually go to several training or instructor events every year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast