Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Patrol Rifle Course

Steve in PA, I agree but some departments just don’t have the ability to pay to send. Around me there are several departments that use other departments instructors due to that reason. But they also lack doing any shooting as a department outside of qualifying. My opinion is if they are starting to charge for instructor courses, how long will it be until they charge for everything. Perhaps, this is their way of making some of the money back from not charging deadbeat municipalities for providing police coverage!

(York County)

Brian....I get it. But there are lower cost alternatives out there for training. PM me and I'll share some with you. And..there are some real top notch instructors that come around close enough from time to time, if you stay on top of their schedules, that cost a bit more, but close enough to not require lodging/meals..etc.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    I don't know the reason why PSP is starting to charge for the FI courses. It might be too many municipal departments enjoying the free ride from sending an officer through the course or they just see it as a way to get a little money. I don't know the numbers that go through their FI courses, but it's not like they are going to make a zillion dollars on this. Of my certifications, I have handgun/shotgun and patrol rifle through PSP. I didn't need those certifications, as I already had ones from the NRA LE and NLEFIA. I just took them to add to my credentials, to experience other courses and to meet the NRA requirement of continuing education.

I just qualified several officers from a neighboring department on their patrol rifles because they do no have an instructor certified in patrol rifles. Nothing is free any more, so those departments are now going to have to spend a little money to send their officers to instructor school. At least it's a one and done type of certification, not like the NRA that requires renewal every three years with proof of on going training. An instructor should always seek out more training which is why I usually go to several training or instructor events every year.
    To my mind, the NRA requirement of 24 hours of CE every three years is one of the strengths of that certification. It requires an Instructor to be exposed to some new verbiage, new instructional methods, as well as maintaining a level of skill that keeps them credible. "Once and done" has traditionally led to way too many "instructors" who have little or no skill, a "do it this way because I say so" mentality, and consequently zero credibility. Disclaimer: I teach the NRA LE Instructor courses, and take CE training 50-80 hours per year...every year. We appear to have similar mindsets... "An instructor should always seek out more training which is why I usually go to several training or instructor events every year."

(Luzerne County)

I try and go to as many training events or certifications as I can! Who doesn't love getting paid to go and shoot!!! This year I did the NLEFIA "Low Light Instructor" certification and the "Tactical Pistol: Responding to the active killer" class run by Lou Ann Hamblin of LouKa Tactical Training..........an awesome course!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12