Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off The Table

(Chester County)

Default Off The Table

Universal Background checks off the table thanks to the NRA. We already paid to have that defeated a few years back. All you Bloomberg shills can suck shit through a straw.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Off The Table

Why "Thanks to the NRA"?

Not bashing the NRA, I just didn't hear anything that implied that the NRA was the reason the president said "no".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Since the President made sure to publicize the fact he assured the NRA that Universal Background checks were off the the table I'd say it was because the NRA and Wayne in particular talked with the President about losing his base if he signed onto this useless foolery. The President certainly made no bones his public support of the 2nd amendment. I wouldn't be opposed if criminal background checks were done to include career criminal individuals under the age of 18 as was discussed by Dobbs and Chafetz. There are many adolescents that have been violent career criminals for many years before they became 18. With the huge numbers of mass shootings that go on every day in the democrat controlled cities there is no doubt that some children have have as much or more trigger time than some of our battle hardened soldiers.
    Last edited by JenniferG; August 21st, 2019 at 02:39 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

PickingPA Guest

The White House says “not so fast”. Seems like maybe the promise to Wayne was not supposed to go public

The White House pushed back late Tuesday on claims by the National Rifle Association (NRA) that President Trump*had purportedly said*universal background checks were off the table, amid an ongoing push for legislative action following two recent deadly mass shootings.

Earlier in the day, The Atlantic published an article*saying Trump had opted against expanding federal background checks, citing a "person briefed on the call." But*a*White House official told Fox News that "meaningful" new background checks remain*a legislative option, and denied that Trump said he supported universal background checks.

In a post on the*NRA Twitter account, the organization's CEO and executive vice president, Wayne LaPierre, did not disclose the substance of his call with Trump.

"I spoke to the president today," LaPierre, who*survived a leadership challenge in April,*wrote in the tweet posted on the NRA's official account on Tuesday.*"We discussed the best ways to prevent these types of tragedies."

The back-and-forth came shortly after Trump had hinted that he supported new background-check legislation following the massacres in*Dayton, Ohio, and El Paso, Texas, that left dozens dead.

"Frankly, we need intelligent background checks," Trump said Aug. 9, adding that it was not a "question of NRA, Republican, or Democrat." Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., also had said "bipartisan" gun-rights reforms were on the table.

"We don't want people that are mentally ill, people that are sick — we don't want them having guns," Trump said.

But, this past Sunday, Trump appeared to walk back the push, citing what he called a "big" mental health problem, and noting*that "we do have a lot of background checks now. ...*very, very strong background checks."

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, Trump also noted "a lot of the people that put me where I am are strong believers in the Second Amendment," and suggested he worries about blurring the contrast between Republicans and Democrats on the issue.

"We have to be very careful about that," he said.

And the president*said he worried about the potential risk of a "slippery slope," where "all of a sudden everything gets taken away." Just 11 days earlier Trump dismissed that very same "slippery slope" thinking, which he attributed to the NRA. "I don't agree with that," he said then.

The waffling drew anger from Democrats, including Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., who said if Trump is serious about action he should call on*McConnell to put a House-passed background checks bill up for vote.

"These retreats are heartbreaking, particularly for the families of the victims of gun violence," Schumer tweeted.

The Washington Post, citing unnamed sources,*reported*that LaPierre had warned Trump*personally in early August*that endorsing tougher background checks*would not be popular with his voter base.

House Democrats have pushed for federal background checks on the sale of any firearms, as well as the expansion of existing background checks to include virtually all sales of weapons at gun shows or online.

Currently, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System*(NICS) is employed for sales involving licensed firearms dealers, which constitute the majority of all firearm sales.

But Republicans have refused to take up several Democratic-backed gun control bills that passed the House, saying they would encroach upon the Second Amendment without preventing the vast majority of shootings.

The Trump administration unilaterally banned bump stocks and other gun modifiers*that make semi-automatic firearms fire faster*in 2018, after a deadly mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada in 2017*left 58 dead and more than 800 injured. The move angered some conservatives, but the Supreme Court upheld the ban earlier this year.

Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., who spoke with Trump last week, said the president expressed support then for working across the aisle "to come up with a background checks bill that can pass the Senate and save lives."

While he said he would wait to hear from Trump again directly, he compared the episode to Trump's apparent flip-flop on background checks following the Parkland, Fla., shooting after intervention from the NRA.

"It's time for Republicans and President Trump to decide whose side they're on," Murphy said in a statement. "Are they going to stand with the 90 percent*of Americans who want universal background checks, or are they going to once again kowtow to the desires of the gun lobby?"
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...house-pushback

(Bucks County)

Ohhh now we gonna have “meaningful “ background checks. Ohhh
    Is that Like common sense background checks?

Like now its senseless background checks? So thankful we have Democrats to protect yawl
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Washington County)

The Trump administration unilaterally banned bump stocks and other gun modifiers*that make semi-automatic firearms fire faster*in 2018, after a deadly mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada in 2017*left 58 dead and more than 800 injured. The move angered some conservatives, but the Supreme Court upheld the ban earlier this year
    I missed this somehow.

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I missed this somehow.
    Yeah, scratching my head on that one

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I missed this somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    Yeah, scratching my head on that one

It was discussed here. Basically they refused to do a stay.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...hlight=Supreme

PickingPA Guest

Heard this reported on FoxNews just before noon. It wasn’t actual audio, just the host quoting the exchange:

Reporter: “Is there an appetite for more background checks?”

Trump: “I have an appetite for background checks”

(Lancaster County)

UBC only work if there is a registration scheme. Otherwise, moot point.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast