Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: YHM, MWI, and other fore end questions....

LOL

If 50 more people posted here saying that they prefer quad rails, it would not change the fact that "nobody wants quad rails any more".

If people truly wanted them, the manufacturers would all be making them vs smooth, lightweight, handguards that are 100% more versatile because you can add things wherever you want without having to hold onto a cheese grater. Online vendors would also be selling them at a premium vs how you actually see them now - on sale, dirt cheap, or on ready-built budget guns in order to get rid of them. (just like Keymod stuff)

If they were truly desirable, the OP would not be bitching that he can't sell an item that was desirable 10 years ago, but not today.

Try selling a 10 year old "high end" cell phone today at 80% off. Same deal.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    LOL

If 50 more people posted here saying that they prefer quad rails, it would not change the fact that "nobody wants quad rails any more".

If people truly wanted them, the manufacturers would all be making them vs smooth, lightweight, handguards that are 100% more versatile because you can add things wherever you want without having to hold onto a cheese grater. Online vendors would also be selling them at a premium vs how you actually see them now - on sale, dirt cheap, or on ready-built budget guns in order to get rid of them. (just like Keymod stuff)

If they were truly desirable, the OP would not be bitching that he can't sell an item that was desirable 10 years ago, but not today.

Well there are more people using and building AR-15' then just in PA so a much broader scope of sales would probably yield better results. He's not going to make retail for sure or even 50% but they can sell. What's old sooner or later always becomes new again.

Bye the way some of the major manufactures are still making them like BCM, MI, Colt on the 6940 and I believe DD offers one as well.

(York County)

LOL

this is the exact reason why i dont want to get into the parts market and also the exact "wrong crowd" i was speaking of. too many fads, too many "my shit doesnt stink" guys, too many "my opinion is better than yours" jack asses running around. the crowd that professes what everyone or no one wants anymore is often wrong but never in doubt. it should also be mentioned that i sell a lot of stuff that is brand new to the market, and those same guys still want it for less than distributers charge me. I think the real problem here is not that something is out of style....its that a lot of people are cheap asses and beat up gun dealers so hard, only to come back again and expect another great deal. this is the only profession i can think of where people continually beat the piss out of a seller, then expect free advice, free information, free services, $50 or $100 below dealer cost pricing, calls at all hours of the night to ask for free advice, and more. I could tell you some stories that would outright make you mad about "customers" who take outrageous amounts of time, and never buy anything but i guess its all part of the game for some reason.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    its not spiteful at all....just a common sense business decision.
    So, if you were offered something like $200-$250 for the lot, that wouldn’t be as good as throwing them away? I can see
    Not wanting a Mosin in trade for them bc then you’re yet again holding on to something that isn’t as desirable or even other trades for that matter.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    So, if you were offered something like $200-$250 for the lot, that wouldn’t be as good as throwing them away? I can see
    Not wanting a Mosin in trade for them bc then you’re yet again holding on to something that isn’t as desirable or even other trades for that matter.
    Once again, it would have to be a good business decision. Would I take something on trade that I knew I couldn’t sell ( like a mosin) for anything above $250? No way because someone would come to the table and see a $250 price tag and tell me that he remembers when they cost $185 so that’s what he will pay. Why bother dragging something to a show that I know will not sell at any price much less a price that I could make a profit? What people don’t seem to understand is that gun dealers don’t do this for free. Take for instance the oaks show. I did really well there. However the market is crap right now and a ton of dealers didn’t do well at all. Not much is selling and dealer mark up is about 10% on new guns. I had a guy tell me if I would take $150 off my price on a rifle I marked at $1175 he would take it. Dealer cost on that same rifle is $1115. Also had no one look through a bargain bin filled with stuff that I marked at 40% of retail. The time invested, travel, table rent, hotel costs, meals, tolls, and gas all play a factor in which dealers come to a show. Some shows are really bad because the buyers in attendance don’t actually buy anything at all. Some shows are great but you still can’t get MSRP for something right now so profit margins are literally in the 6% to 10% range. Everyone is going to a show to look, then immediately google the price for the same item on the internet. What many people don’t realize is that is forcing many dealers to stop coming to shows and then the flea market guys, diabetic sock sellers, cheap china knife sellers and more creep in and kill the show. Sorry to be long winded here but the point of this post is that most people aren’t spending money on this stuff and those who are don’t want to spend anything over internet prices. So you have to be very careful of what you take to sell and businesses cannot survive on $1 and $2 profit margins

(Allegheny County)

You either adapt and evolve, or you talk about how everyone wants to buy things for less online.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new and you've certainly seen this for the last 10-20 years.
    It sucks for you, but that's the world we live in.

(York County)

You either adapt and evolve, or you talk about how everyone wants to buy things for less online.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new and you've certainly seen this for the last 10-20 years.
    It sucks for you, but that's the world we live in.
    It actually doesn’t suck for me. Like I said, I have been doing great selling at gun shows. But then again I deal in high end stuff that many people can’t afford. It may suck for some dealers right now but soon enough, it will suck for you too. Like when you internet shop for something and can’t find it at a show for the same price, then bitch about how dealers want too much money. Then you go buy it and have it shipped to a dealer who will soon close his doors because he can’t survive on $15 transfer fees. As I said before, this is the only profession where the consumer destroys it from within. Don’t get me wrong I have seen many greedy dealers in my day, but I have also seen many cheapskates too. I’ve been on both sides of the tables and have seen both sides. Unfortunately there are too many people who have not and yet they spew out the old lines like “adapt” or “die”. Funny how that works in this business. The guys who know the least are always the loudest and constantly tell you how to do things. As already said...constantly wrong but never in doubt”.

(Bucks County)

I just finished a build and put a free floated quad rail on it... Pretty nice, now discontinued design from ergo, the z float. Mounts on a usgi barrel nut too.

Mlok is cool too, I have a nice aero on my 16". My two shorties have quads though and I'm a fan.

If anyone has some KAC panels I'm a buyer.
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

(Allegheny County)

The last 2 posts you (the OP) seem to be getting pissy with me.

I have no beef with you. I posted my views on products and tried to offer assistance initially.
    My comments about you trying to sell things that are not in demand have nothing to do with you as a person - that's just the way it is - you have items that are not in demand. Calling people names and calling trends "fads" do nothing to help you sell stuff that isn't in demand.

Personally, I'm glad you're doing well. I don't know how you do it these days. "Gun shops" certainly have a lot working against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy View Post
    I just finished a build and put a free floated quad rail on it... Pretty nice, now discontinued design from ergo, the z float. Mounts on a usgi barrel nut too.

Mlok is cool too, I have a nice aero on my 16". My two shorties have quads though and I'm a fan.

If anyone has some KAC panels I'm a buyer.
    Check EBay for the KAC panel kits, there are usually a number of listings with them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast