Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question about background checks

I am having a discussion about background checks with my brother. He is for them, I am against. He wants background checks to keep illegal immigrants and terrorists from getting guns.

I have a response put together but want to make sure I hit all the bases. What federal laws are there that already exist that make it illegal for illegal immigrants and terrorist to buy guns? (I’ve already pointed out that immigration laws have not kept illegal immigrant from entering the country legally just like background checks would not keep criminals from getting guns if they really want them)

Thanks in advance.

Edit to add..... He is not an anti and generally very strong on gun rights.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Question about background checks

Tell him it's just an attempt to create a backdoor registry to be used in future confiscation attempts, because that's what it is.

Background checks already exist, period. Nobody can buy any gun from an FFL anywhere in the country without having one. What's the issue? Private sales?

The feds have no constitutional authority to regulate the sale of firearms among citizens of a state. It's a states rights issue. End of story. The Feds already control every aspect if interstate commerce like a wrecking ball. Fuck them.

It's as simple as that. Ask him where the fed gets the authority, and why he would think giving them that authority would change anything?
    Last edited by God's Country; August 19th, 2019 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Tell him it's just an attempt to create a backdoor registry to be used in future confiscation attempts, because that's what it is.
    Thanks, I did say that.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Background checks already exist, period. Nobody can buy any gun from an FFL anywhere in the country without having one. What's the issue? Private sales?

The feds have no constitutional authority to regulate the sale of firearms among citizens of a state. It's a states rights issue. End of story. The Feds already control every aspect if interstate commerce like wrecking ball. Fuck them.

It's a simple as that. Ask him where the fed gets the authority, and why he would think giving them that authority would change anything?
    I will throw that in there.

(Schuylkill County)

If the goal is to reduce mass shootings, background checks do not prevent them. The shooters have either legally obtained a weapon including a background check, or stole the gun without one.
    As was said, there are already background checks. They have been in place since before many of the shooters were born and they did not stop the shooters.
    None of the guns used in any mass shooting were bought out of the back of a van or by a straw purchase.
    More laws equals more infringement, more government, more regulation, more money. AND, they do not even work to deter a crime.

(Montgomery County)

How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    To late. The psp already maintain a new gun data base. Of course it doesn't mean it contains sales outside an FFL.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    To late. The psp already maintain a new gun data base. Of course it doesn't mean it contains sales outside an FFL.
    In Pa they do. I pointed out that there are 30 plus states in America where people are not required to do a background check for a private sale whether pistol or rifle. Basically by being in favor of background checks he is willing to have the federal government over ride states decisions and give up rights that 10’s of millions of Americans currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    In Pa they do. I pointed out that there are 30 plus states in America where people are not required to do a background check for a private sale whether pistol or rifle. Basically by being in favor of background checks he is willing to have the federal government over ride states decisions and give up rights that 10’s of millions of Americans currently have.
    Exactly right, this isn't about "enhanced background checks", it's about banning private gun sales nationwide and creating a paper trail for all guns.

The anti's know how people feel, which is why the anti's lie about what they're doing.

The Nazis didn't tell the Jews and Gypsies where the trains were really going.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I don't have much more to add other than getting your brother to first state his position in detail, to the best of his knowledge. When he does that (and I assuming he does not know his position as well as you know yours), explain the above info in hopes that he will realize he was originally misinformed. If you can point out the parts of his stance that are in error, you may be in the rare position of having successfully changed a mind!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast